Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus firmware upgrade - the truth

Olympus firmware upgrade - the truth

Alfred Molon

The following cameras can be firmware-upgraded by the user:
C-3040, C-3020, C-4000, C-4040, C-5050, C-5060, C-700, C-730, C-740, C-
750

For the firmware upgrade you need a memory card and the firmware, which
is a file ending with .bin

To upgrade

- format the memory card (SM or xD) in the camera.
- create a folder named "firmware" in the root directory of the memory
card
- rename the firmware file to "firmware.bin" and copy it to the firmware
directory
- insert the card into the camera and set the camera to playback mode
- switch on the camera
- a menu will appear where you can choose whether to upgrade the
firmware or not
- after the upgrade format the memory card in the camera (otherwise
everytime you switch on the camera you will be prompted for the firmware
upgrade)

Important: make sure the batteries are fully charged ! If the power goes
away during the flash process you'll have to send the camera to Olympus
for servicing.

Now the big problem is that the firmware files are not publicly
available. However the procedure works. Try copying a text file named
"firmware.bin" to a /firmware directory on the memory card and you'll
see that the camera will prompt you or a firmware upgrade if switched on
in playback mode.

--

Alfred Molon

Joseph Meehan

If I may ask; what is upgraded and do you know why the files would not
be available? Is it one of those things that the manufacturer believes
should only be available through an authorized repair source?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

news:(E-Mail Removed) news.com...
> The following cameras can be firmware-upgraded by the user:
> C-3040, C-3020, C-4000, C-4040, C-5050, C-5060, C-700, C-730, C-740, C-
> 750
>
> For the firmware upgrade you need a memory card and the firmware, which
> is a file ending with .bin
>
> To upgrade
>
> - format the memory card (SM or xD) in the camera.
> - create a folder named "firmware" in the root directory of the memory
> card
> - rename the firmware file to "firmware.bin" and copy it to the firmware
> directory
> - insert the card into the camera and set the camera to playback mode
> - switch on the camera
> - a menu will appear where you can choose whether to upgrade the
> firmware or not
> - after the upgrade format the memory card in the camera (otherwise
> everytime you switch on the camera you will be prompted for the firmware
> upgrade)
>
> Important: make sure the batteries are fully charged ! If the power goes
> away during the flash process you'll have to send the camera to Olympus
> for servicing.
>
> Now the big problem is that the firmware files are not publicly
> available. However the procedure works. Try copying a text file named
> "firmware.bin" to a /firmware directory on the memory card and you'll
> see that the camera will prompt you or a firmware upgrade if switched on
> in playback mode.
>
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

CSM1

Most Olympus cameras do not have flash or EEPROMs for their firmware, so
they are not user upgradable.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...vicerepair.asp

If you have an E-1 camera it is.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/oai_He...sp?pressNo=301

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:M4ASb.94697$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I may ask; what is upgraded and do you know why the files would not
> be available? Is it one of those things that the manufacturer believes
> should only be available through an authorized repair source?
>
> --
> Joseph E. Meehan
>
> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
>

> "Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) news.com...
> > The following cameras can be firmware-upgraded by the user:
> > C-3040, C-3020, C-4000, C-4040, C-5050, C-5060, C-700, C-730, C-740, C-
> > 750
> >
> > For the firmware upgrade you need a memory card and the firmware, which
> > is a file ending with .bin
> >
> > To upgrade
> >
> > - format the memory card (SM or xD) in the camera.
> > - create a folder named "firmware" in the root directory of the memory
> > card
> > - rename the firmware file to "firmware.bin" and copy it to the firmware
> > directory
> > - insert the card into the camera and set the camera to playback mode
> > - switch on the camera
> > - a menu will appear where you can choose whether to upgrade the
> > firmware or not
> > - after the upgrade format the memory card in the camera (otherwise
> > everytime you switch on the camera you will be prompted for the firmware
> > upgrade)
> >
> > Important: make sure the batteries are fully charged ! If the power goes
> > away during the flash process you'll have to send the camera to Olympus
> > for servicing.
> >
> > Now the big problem is that the firmware files are not publicly
> > available. However the procedure works. Try copying a text file named
> > "firmware.bin" to a /firmware directory on the memory card and you'll
> > see that the camera will prompt you or a firmware upgrade if switched on
> > in playback mode.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Alfred Molon

Joseph Meehan

No, what parts of the camera systems/functions are upgraded? New or
improved features?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"CSM1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HbASb.12839$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Most Olympus cameras do not have flash or EEPROMs for their firmware, so
> they are not user upgradable.
> http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...vicerepair.asp
>
> If you have an E-1 camera it is.
> http://www.olympusamerica.com/oai_He...sp?pressNo=301
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:M4ASb.94697$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If I may ask; what is upgraded and do you know why the files would

not
> > be available? Is it one of those things that the manufacturer believes
> > should only be available through an authorized repair source?
> >
> > --
> > Joseph E. Meehan
> >
> > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
> >

> > "Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) news.com...
> > > The following cameras can be firmware-upgraded by the user:
> > > C-3040, C-3020, C-4000, C-4040, C-5050, C-5060, C-700, C-730, C-740,

C-
> > > 750
> > >
> > > For the firmware upgrade you need a memory card and the firmware,

which
> > > is a file ending with .bin
> > >
> > > To upgrade
> > >
> > > - format the memory card (SM or xD) in the camera.
> > > - create a folder named "firmware" in the root directory of the memory
> > > card
> > > - rename the firmware file to "firmware.bin" and copy it to the

firmware
> > > directory
> > > - insert the card into the camera and set the camera to playback mode
> > > - switch on the camera
> > > - a menu will appear where you can choose whether to upgrade the
> > > firmware or not
> > > - after the upgrade format the memory card in the camera (otherwise
> > > everytime you switch on the camera you will be prompted for the

firmware
> > > upgrade)
> > >
> > > Important: make sure the batteries are fully charged ! If the power

goes
> > > away during the flash process you'll have to send the camera to

Olympus
> > > for servicing.
> > >
> > > Now the big problem is that the firmware files are not publicly
> > > available. However the procedure works. Try copying a text file named
> > > "firmware.bin" to a /firmware directory on the memory card and you'll
> > > see that the camera will prompt you or a firmware upgrade if switched

on
> > > in playback mode.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon

In article <M4ASb.94697$(E-Mail Removed)>, sligojoeS_PAM_2
@hotmail.com says...
> If I may ask; what is upgraded and do you know why the files would not
> be available? Is it one of those things that the manufacturer believes
> should only be available through an authorized repair source?

That's not clear. In general newer firmware versions fix some problems
of older firmware versions. Just to make an example, newer versions of
the Olympus 5050 have a lower default sharpening level than older
versions. Users of the 5060 who did the firmware upgrade to v756-80 (the
5060 firmware is available) reported an improved performance (but the
discussion is still going on in the 5060 users group).
--

Alfred Molon

Joseph Meehan

Thanks.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

news:(E-Mail Removed) news.com...
> In article <M4ASb.94697$(E-Mail Removed)>, sligojoeS_PAM_2
> @hotmail.com says...
> > If I may ask; what is upgraded and do you know why the files would

not
> > be available? Is it one of those things that the manufacturer believes
> > should only be available through an authorized repair source?

> That's not clear. In general newer firmware versions fix some problems
> of older firmware versions. Just to make an example, newer versions of
> the Olympus 5050 have a lower default sharpening level than older
> versions. Users of the 5060 who did the firmware upgrade to v756-80 (the
> 5060 firmware is available) reported an improved performance (but the
> discussion is still going on in the 5060 users group).
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Azzz1588

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, Alfred
Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Now the big problem is that the firmware files are not publicly
>available. However the procedure works.

Do please tell us where we can download the firmware
updates. (Me, I have a C 4040Z)

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, azzz1588
@aol.com says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, Alfred
> Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >Now the big problem is that the firmware files are not publicly
> >available. However the procedure works.

> Do please tell us where we can download the firmware
> updates. (Me, I have a C 4040Z)

As I wrote "...the firmware files are not publicly available...". Only
Olympus has them.
--

Alfred Molon

Dave

"CSM1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<HbASb.12839$(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> Most Olympus cameras do not have flash or EEPROMs for their firmware, so
> they are not user upgradable.
> http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...vicerepair.asp
>
> If you have an E-1 camera it is.
> http://www.olympusamerica.com/oai_He...sp?pressNo=301

Naah, any camera built within the past ten years uses flash. It is
just that Olympus doesn't trust consumers to do the upgrade, except
for the E-1. I suppose this is because the E-1 has some extra
idiot-proof safeguards built in.

Dave

news:(E-Mail Removed) news.com...
> In article <M4ASb.94697$(E-Mail Removed)>, sligojoeS_PAM_2
> @hotmail.com says...
> > If I may ask; what is upgraded and do you know why the files would

not
> > be available? Is it one of those things that the manufacturer believes
> > should only be available through an authorized repair source?

> That's not clear. In general newer firmware versions fix some problems
> of older firmware versions. Just to make an example, newer versions of
> the Olympus 5050 have a lower default sharpening level than older
> versions. Users of the 5060 who did the firmware upgrade to v756-80 (the
> 5060 firmware is available) reported an improved performance (but the
> discussion is still going on in the 5060 users group).
> --

Any idea what the last firmware version was for the 5050?