Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak DX4330 Problem

Kodak DX4330 Problem

Doug

I'm having a problem with my DX4330, docking station and EasyShare
software. Everything used to work fine but lately no pictures will
transfer from the camera to the PC. The message says 'No images
found'. I can review them in the camera however. I've removed the
128 meg SD card and took a couple of pictures with the internal memory
but they won't transfer either. I also have a 256 meg card that
behaves the same way so I doubt this is a card issue since both
internal memory and both cards behave the same way. I've un installed
and reinstalled the software several times with no difference.

I took my 256 meg card to Ritz Camera and they read all the pictures
fine. I've since bought an SD card reader and it also sees all the
pictures. So, as I see it, it's either a camera problem since it
affects both internal memory and memory cards as well or a software
problem. I'm running XP professional if that helps. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

William Jackson

dock the camera, get the "no pictures found" message and then browse to the
camera using the Microsoft explorer view. Can you see the images doing
that?

What are the results?

"Doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having a problem with my DX4330, docking station and EasyShare
> software. Everything used to work fine but lately no pictures will
> transfer from the camera to the PC. The message says 'No images
> found'. I can review them in the camera however. I've removed the
> 128 meg SD card and took a couple of pictures with the internal memory
> but they won't transfer either. I also have a 256 meg card that
> behaves the same way so I doubt this is a card issue since both
> internal memory and both cards behave the same way. I've un installed
> and reinstalled the software several times with no difference.
>
> I took my 256 meg card to Ritz Camera and they read all the pictures
> fine. I've since bought an SD card reader and it also sees all the
> pictures. So, as I see it, it's either a camera problem since it
> affects both internal memory and memory cards as well or a software
> problem. I'm running XP professional if that helps. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Doug

When I press the button on the docking station, a box pops up in the
lower right hand corner of the screen showing that the camera was
connected as G: but nothing happens - the EasyShare software doesn't
show any of the pictures from the camera nor does it start. If I go
to Explorer, I see the G: drive but when I try to access it, the
message I get is: G:\ is not accessible - Incorrect function. This is
starting to sound like a hardware problem!

Thanks,
Doug

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:28:07 -0500, "William Jackson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dock the camera, get the "no pictures found" message and then browse to the
>camera using the Microsoft explorer view. Can you see the images doing
>that?
>
>What are the results?
>
>"Doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I'm having a problem with my DX4330, docking station and EasyShare
>> software. Everything used to work fine but lately no pictures will
>> transfer from the camera to the PC. The message says 'No images
>> found'. I can review them in the camera however. I've removed the
>> 128 meg SD card and took a couple of pictures with the internal memory
>> but they won't transfer either. I also have a 256 meg card that
>> behaves the same way so I doubt this is a card issue since both
>> internal memory and both cards behave the same way. I've un installed
>> and reinstalled the software several times with no difference.
>>
>> I took my 256 meg card to Ritz Camera and they read all the pictures
>> fine. I've since bought an SD card reader and it also sees all the
>> pictures. So, as I see it, it's either a camera problem since it
>> affects both internal memory and memory cards as well or a software
>> problem. I'm running XP professional if that helps. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Doug

Larry Caldwell

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dblaze1
@tampabay.rr.com (Doug) says...

> When I press the button on the docking station, a box pops up in the
> lower right hand corner of the screen showing that the camera was
> connected as G: but nothing happens - the EasyShare software doesn't
> show any of the pictures from the camera nor does it start. If I go
> to Explorer, I see the G: drive but when I try to access it, the
> message I get is: G:\ is not accessible - Incorrect function. This is
> starting to sound like a hardware problem!

Sounds like a bad dock to me. What happens when you just connect the
camera with a USB cable?

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Doug

Hi Larry,

If I take the camera off the dock and plug the USB cable directly into
the camera, the "Camera Connected" message appears briefly above the
task bar and the camera shows as a 'local drive' in Windows Explorer.
If I click on G:, I get the same message: 'G:\ is not accessible -
Incorrect function'. Maybe it's the camera itself and not the dock
then?

Thanks,
Doug

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:02:44 GMT, Larry Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dblaze1
>@tampabay.rr.com (Doug) says...
>
>> When I press the button on the docking station, a box pops up in the
>> lower right hand corner of the screen showing that the camera was
>> connected as G: but nothing happens - the EasyShare software doesn't
>> show any of the pictures from the camera nor does it start. If I go
>> to Explorer, I see the G: drive but when I try to access it, the
>> message I get is: G:\ is not accessible - Incorrect function. This is
>> starting to sound like a hardware problem!

>Sounds like a bad dock to me. What happens when you just connect the
>camera with a USB cable?

Terry D

Doug wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> If I take the camera off the dock and plug the USB cable directly into
> the camera, the "Camera Connected" message appears briefly above the
> task bar and the camera shows as a 'local drive' in Windows Explorer.
> If I click on G:, I get the same message: 'G:\ is not accessible -
> Incorrect function'. Maybe it's the camera itself and not the dock
> then?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
>

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:02:44 GMT, Larry Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dblaze1
>> @tampabay.rr.com (Doug) says...
>>
>>> When I press the button on the docking station, a box pops up in the
>>> lower right hand corner of the screen showing that the camera was
>>> connected as G: but nothing happens - the EasyShare software doesn't
>>> show any of the pictures from the camera nor does it start. If I go
>>> to Explorer, I see the G: drive but when I try to access it, the
>>> message I get is: G:\ is not accessible - Incorrect function. This
>>> is starting to sound like a hardware problem!

>> Sounds like a bad dock to me. What happens when you just connect the
>> camera with a USB cable?

Ditch the docking station and get yourself an SD card reader (and also a
decent battery charger). It's faster, it works fine and is more reliable.
The Easyshare software is rubbish although reasonably useful for sorting
your pictures into albums. I have a DX 4330 and have never been able to see
the camera as a separate drive with Windows 98 SE. Kodak couldn't solve the
problem and eventually sent me an SD card reader and a memory card. Try
complaining as I did.

Terry D.

Doug

Thanks for the info. I did buy the reader when I took the camera in
to Ritz Camera to look at. I didn't want to loose the pictures on the
card. They were able to read the card and process the pictures for me
so I bought the reader from them. I didn't want to have to buy a
separate reader since that's part of what the docking station is for -
that and recharging the batteries. Since it used to work fine, I have
to assume its related to the camera given the symptoms.

I did e-mail Kodak for assistance. We'll how they respond. How do
you recharge the internal battery if you don't have the docking
station? What charger do you use?

Doug

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 00:25:08 -0000, "Terry D"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Doug wrote:
>> Hi Larry,
>>
>> If I take the camera off the dock and plug the USB cable directly into
>> the camera, the "Camera Connected" message appears briefly above the
>> task bar and the camera shows as a 'local drive' in Windows Explorer.
>> If I click on G:, I get the same message: 'G:\ is not accessible -
>> Incorrect function'. Maybe it's the camera itself and not the dock
>> then?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Doug
>>

>> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:02:44 GMT, Larry Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dblaze1
>>> @tampabay.rr.com (Doug) says...

>>> Sounds like a bad dock to me. What happens when you just connect the
>>> camera with a USB cable?

>Ditch the docking station and get yourself an SD card reader (and also a
>decent battery charger). It's faster, it works fine and is more reliable.
>The Easyshare software is rubbish although reasonably useful for sorting
>your pictures into albums. I have a DX 4330 and have never been able to see
>the camera as a separate drive with Windows 98 SE. Kodak couldn't solve the
>problem and eventually sent me an SD card reader and a memory card. Try
>complaining as I did.
>
>Terry D.

Larry Caldwell

In article <7IXSb.14716$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Terry D) says...

> Ditch the docking station and get yourself an SD card reader (and also a
> decent battery charger). It's faster, it works fine and is more reliable.

Unfortunately, a card reader won't access the Kodak internal memory, so
any photos there are stuck.

> The Easyshare software is rubbish although reasonably useful for sorting
> your pictures into albums. I have a DX 4330 and have never been able to see
> the camera as a separate drive with Windows 98 SE. Kodak couldn't solve the
> problem and eventually sent me an SD card reader and a memory card. Try
> complaining as I did.

So it's the Windows version that is the problem? It's time to upgrade
if you are running 98 anyway. Camera manufacturers and Microsoft are
not the only ones not supporting that OS any more. I tried to install
Music Match Jukebox on a W98 system at Christmas, and it wouldn't run
there either.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Ron Hunter

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <7IXSb.14716$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Terry D) says...
>
>>Ditch the docking station and get yourself an SD card reader (and also a
>>decent battery charger). It's faster, it works fine and is more reliable.

> Unfortunately, a card reader won't access the Kodak internal memory, so
> any photos there are stuck.

Maybe. Check the manual for a facility to copy from internal memory to
the card. Most Kodak cameras seem to have this function. Hint, mine is
on the menu from the review mode setting.

>>The Easyshare software is rubbish although reasonably useful for sorting
>>your pictures into albums. I have a DX 4330 and have never been able to see
>>the camera as a separate drive with Windows 98 SE. Kodak couldn't solve the
>>problem and eventually sent me an SD card reader and a memory card. Try
>>complaining as I did.

> So it's the Windows version that is the problem? It's time to upgrade
> if you are running 98 anyway. Camera manufacturers and Microsoft are
> not the only ones not supporting that OS any more. I tried to install
> Music Match Jukebox on a W98 system at Christmas, and it wouldn't run
> there either.

William Jackson

> > When I press the button on the docking station, a box pops up in the
> > lower right hand corner of the screen showing that the camera was
> > connected as G: but nothing happens - the EasyShare software doesn't
> > show any of the pictures from the camera nor does it start. If I go
> > to Explorer, I see the G: drive but when I try to access it, the
> > message I get is: G:\ is not accessible - Incorrect function. This is
> > starting to sound like a hardware problem!

Any chance you have a mapped network drive as the "first available" drive
past the real hard disks on your system (ie: if you have C, D, and E and F,
and G is a network drive?)

If so, try remapping your network drive to something that leaves a "hole"

Especially on the Win9x code base, Windows "lies" to us when we try to
create the next available drive and doesn't take into consideration the
mapped network drives. We're working on this one, but that's an interim
workaround (remapping your network drives that is)