Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New type of primary battery

New type of primary battery

y_p_w

http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018

Matsushita calls it the "Oxyride dry cell battery". Supposedly
has 1.5 to 2 times the performance of alkalines (doesn't say
standard or the newer alkalines). It still doesn't sound as if
they outperform NiMH cells, but I've known people who insist on
single-use alkaline because they think they'll last longer than
rechargeables in their digital cameras.

Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese.

Robertwgross

I wouldn't put much faith in it.

What is an 18.5 kg car, anyway?

---Bob Gross---

Ron Hunter

y_p_w wrote:

> http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018
>
> Matsushita calls it the "Oxyride dry cell battery". Supposedly
> has 1.5 to 2 times the performance of alkalines (doesn't say
> standard or the newer alkalines). It still doesn't sound as if
> they outperform NiMH cells, but I've known people who insist on
> single-use alkaline because they think they'll last longer than
> rechargeables in their digital cameras.

Be sure to tell them they are WRONG. Badly, and expensively, wrong.

> Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
> name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese.

Andy Blanchard

On 29 Jan 2004 14:08:07 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (y_p_w) wrote:

>Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
>name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese.

Reminds me of the Mitsubishi Starion. Obviously it was supposed to be
"Stallion" given their other cars were called "Colt", "Pony" and so
on, but it's not difficult to imagine some Japanese exec proudly
announcing the new car's name to some drone at the badge manufacturer
in a thick accent...

Andy

Linda_N

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What is an 18.5 kg car, anyway?

A highway frizbee?

*chuckle*

Linda.

y_p_w

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> y_p_w wrote:
>
> > http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018
> >
> > Matsushita calls it the "Oxyride dry cell battery". Supposedly
> > has 1.5 to 2 times the performance of alkalines (doesn't say
> > standard or the newer alkalines). It still doesn't sound as if
> > they outperform NiMH cells, but I've known people who insist on
> > single-use alkaline because they think they'll last longer than
> > rechargeables in their digital cameras.

> Be sure to tell them they are WRONG. Badly, and expensively, wrong.

I've tried. I'm an electrical engineer and I understand why, but the math
regarding low impedance loads and battery internal resistance isn't all
that difficult. However - it is true (alkalines lasting longer) for less
demanding loads, and too many people don't quite understand that the
high current requirement when you snap a picture is better served with
NiMH rechargeables.

y_p_w

(E-Mail Removed) (Robertwgross) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I wouldn't put much faith in it.

Well - it might be good as a backup, or useful for situations where
the opportunity to charge batteries doesn't exist.

> What is an 18.5 kg car, anyway?

A go-kart.

Ron Hunter

y_p_w wrote:

> Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>>y_p_w wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018
>>>
>>>Matsushita calls it the "Oxyride dry cell battery". Supposedly
>>>has 1.5 to 2 times the performance of alkalines (doesn't say
>>>standard or the newer alkalines). It still doesn't sound as if
>>>they outperform NiMH cells, but I've known people who insist on
>>>single-use alkaline because they think they'll last longer than
>>>rechargeables in their digital cameras.

>>Be sure to tell them they are WRONG. Badly, and expensively, wrong.

> I've tried. I'm an electrical engineer and I understand why, but the math
> regarding low impedance loads and battery internal resistance isn't all
> that difficult. However - it is true (alkalines lasting longer) for less
> demanding loads, and too many people don't quite understand that the
> high current requirement when you snap a picture is better served with
> NiMH rechargeables.

Maybe if you tell him that I have taken about 1500 pictures with the
same set of NIMH batteries and then ask him how much that many pictures
would COST with alkalines....

y_p_w

Ron Hunter wrote:
> y_p_w wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

>>> Be sure to tell them they are WRONG. Badly, and expensively, wrong.

>> I've tried. I'm an electrical engineer and I understand why, but the
>> math
>> regarding low impedance loads and battery internal resistance isn't all
>> that difficult. However - it is true (alkalines lasting longer) for less
>> demanding loads, and too many people don't quite understand that the
>> high current requirement when you snap a picture is better served with
>> NiMH rechargeables.

> Maybe if you tell him that I have taken about 1500 pictures with the
> same set of NIMH batteries and then ask him how much that many pictures
> would COST with alkalines....

Sure. Some actually acknowledged that the rechargeables cost less in
the long run, but insisted that alkalines last longer than fully
charged NiMH batteries, and that was important to them.

We all know that alkalines just aren't very efficient for anything
that will drain them in about 4-6 hours (or less), or that has
extremely high momentary current demands.

y_p_w

Andy Blanchard wrote:

> On 29 Jan 2004 14:08:07 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (y_p_w) wrote:
>

>>Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
>>name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese.

> Reminds me of the Mitsubishi Starion. Obviously it was supposed to be
> "Stallion" given their other cars were called "Colt", "Pony" and so
> on, but it's not difficult to imagine some Japanese exec proudly
> announcing the new car's name to some drone at the badge manufacturer
> in a thick accent...

I'm sorry. The one that takes the cake is "Game Boy". There's just
something mildly disturbing about that name.