Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Press Photogs Use What lenses?

Press Photogs Use What lenses?

GovtLawyer

I've been wondering about this for some time. I've seen press photographers
with huge, foot long lenses, often white. I guess, it is a very long 300 or
400 focal length lens, which makes sense when the photographer is behind a rope
quite a distance away from the action. However, I've also noticed similar
lenses used indoors at press conferences or government hearings. Here, the
photographer sits on the floor no more than 15 feet away from the witness.
What would he need a lens that long for.

Does anyone know what kind of lenses they are using? Also, how much would a
lens like that cost?

Mark M

"GovtLawyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been wondering about this for some time. I've seen press

photographers
> with huge, foot long lenses, often white. I guess, it is a very long 300

or
> 400 focal length lens, which makes sense when the photographer is behind a

rope
> quite a distance away from the action. However, I've also noticed similar
> lenses used indoors at press conferences or government hearings. Here,

the
> photographer sits on the floor no more than 15 feet away from the witness.
> What would he need a lens that long for.
>
> Does anyone know what kind of lenses they are using? Also, how much would

> lens like that cost?

The indoor lenses are usually one of these two lenses:
Canon 70-200 2.8 (either the IS version or non IS)
or
Canon 35-350.

The latter is quite versatile due to the huge zoom ratio while still giving
respectable results, though it has a smaller max aperture (I think 5.6).
The 2.8 is excellent in low light where flash is frowned upon (like in
Senate hearings, or court issues, etc.)

Tony Spadaro

The lenses you are seeing indoors are probably the 70-200 f2.8 zoom, which
is the "press conference" lens of photojournalism. I'm sure there are
occasional shooters who would use a 300mm at such an event but doubt a 400
would be of much use at all.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"GovtLawyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been wondering about this for some time. I've seen press

photographers
> with huge, foot long lenses, often white. I guess, it is a very long 300

or
> 400 focal length lens, which makes sense when the photographer is behind a

rope
> quite a distance away from the action. However, I've also noticed similar
> lenses used indoors at press conferences or government hearings. Here,

the
> photographer sits on the floor no more than 15 feet away from the witness.
> What would he need a lens that long for.
>
> Does anyone know what kind of lenses they are using? Also, how much would

> lens like that cost?

Jim Townsend

GovtLawyer wrote:

> I've been wondering about this for some time. I've seen press photographers
> with huge, foot long lenses, often white. I guess, it is a very long 300 or
> 400 focal length lens, which makes sense when the photographer is behind a rope
> quite a distance away from the action. However, I've also noticed similar
> lenses used indoors at press conferences or government hearings. Here, the
> photographer sits on the floor no more than 15 feet away from the witness.
> What would he need a lens that long for.

Canon has been painting their long 'L' series lenses white.. They're the
top of the line lenses and are commonly used by professionals. Shorter 'L'
lenses are black. (Under 100mm). Whether white or black, they all have a
red ring around the end.

Canon has a 'group shot' of their 35mm lens lineup.. You can see, there are
a lot of white lenses.. They have zooms and primes going up to 1200mm
(That's the giant one in the background of the link below).

http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/lineup/index.html

> Does anyone know what kind of lenses they are using? Also, how much would a
> lens like that cost?

The white lenses start at around $1000 and go up to the 5 digit range.

Capt Nud

I would guess most of them are using the 70-200 with a few using a 300 f2.8 for
tight head shots.

GovtLawyer

>I would guess most of them are using the 70-200 with a few using a 300 f2.8
>for
>tight head shots.

Isn't a 300 from only around 15 feet a tad too tight?

George Kerby

On 1/29/04 9:56 AM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
"GovtLawyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I would guess most of them are using the 70-200 with a few using a 300 f2.8
>> for
>> tight head shots.

> Isn't a 300 from only around 15 feet a tad too tight?

Maybe with a digi (1.6x factor). But gives a nice ECU-you can count the
nosehairs with the Canon Florite 300mm 2.8

TonyK

It's just the cock factor.

"GovtLawyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been wondering about this for some time. I've seen press

photographers
> with huge, foot long lenses, often white. I guess, it is a very long 300

or
> 400 focal length lens, which makes sense when the photographer is behind a

rope
> quite a distance away from the action. However, I've also noticed similar
> lenses used indoors at press conferences or government hearings. Here,

the
> photographer sits on the floor no more than 15 feet away from the witness.
> What would he need a lens that long for.
>
> Does anyone know what kind of lenses they are using? Also, how much would

> lens like that cost?

KBob

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:43:38 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The lenses you are seeing indoors are probably the 70-200 f2.8 zoom, which
>is the "press conference" lens of photojournalism. I'm sure there are
>occasional shooters who would use a 300mm at such an event but doubt a 400
>would be of much use at all.

My favorite for this kind of application was the Nikkor 200mm f/2.
Sadly these are out of production, but I still use mine-a great
portrait and fashion lens if you can handle its weight.