Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why does lossless jpg rotation make a larger file?

Why does lossless jpg rotation make a larger file?

louise

Thanks for all your responses to my questions about
rotation.

I have now tried rotating an image in Irfanview and in
Adobe PhotoImpressions. I have chosen lossless rotation in
Irfanview and rotation - best quality, in PhotoImpressions.

In both cases the resulting file is larger - about 500+ kb
larger - with the same final size and number of megapixels.

I think I don't understand the concepts involved and so I
don't understand why the image doesn't stay exactly the
same size.

If data is actually added, does this really improve the
image I would eventually print or have printed, does it
make no difference in the image, or what is happening?

Thanks again.
Louise ((E-Mail Removed))

Ed Wurster

"louise" wrote ...
> I have now tried rotating an image in Irfanview and in
> Adobe PhotoImpressions. I have chosen lossless rotation in
> Irfanview and rotation - best quality, in PhotoImpressions.
>
> In both cases the resulting file is larger - about 500+ kb
> larger - with the same final size and number of megapixels.

If you know the original JPG quality setting, then choose lossless rotation,
and save with the same quality setting, the file size is the same.

I confirmed this with Irfanview.

Ed