Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Li-Ion CR-V3 rechargeables?

Li-Ion CR-V3 rechargeables?

jp

Why is info on these so scarce? Are they not worth it?
From what I've read at Steve's
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html
they seem like a great deal over the long run over
using Ni-MH. Here's the info I gathered on various
models:

Model No. mAh low kit price website
Samsung SBP-1103 1100mAh $84 http://www.samsungcamera.com
Power Vision RCR-V3 1200mAh $59 http://www.apitec.com.tw/
Omicron 3CRV-3R 1200mAh $27
Moby Power RCR-V3 unk mAh$45 http://www.mobypower.com/
Delkin Devices RCR-V3 $33 unk mAh http://www.delkin.com/

Jay

nellybly

On 1/26/04 10:37 PM, in article
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "jp" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Why is info on these so scarce? Are they not worth it?
> From what I've read at Steve's
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html
> they seem like a great deal over the long run over
> using Ni-MH. Here's the info I gathered on various
> models:
>
> Model No. mAh low kit price website
> Samsung SBP-1103 1100mAh $84 http://www.samsungcamera.com
> Power Vision RCR-V3 1200mAh $59 http://www.apitec.com.tw/
> Omicron 3CRV-3R 1200mAh $27
> Moby Power RCR-V3 unk mAh$45 http://www.mobypower.com/
> Delkin Devices RCR-V3 $33 unk mAh http://www.delkin.com/
>
> Jay

I have a charger and battery coming in today from jandr.
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...on_Id=1&Produc
t_Id=3954273
I'll let you know how it works!
NB

armlance

I have these on a Nikon Coolpix 3100 (Power Vision RCR-V3), They have
excellent battery life.

The ONLY cells I have used with good battery life.

Hope this helps

On 26 Jan 2004 19:37:57 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (jp) wrote:

>Power Vision RCR-V3

PETERWOJ

>they seem like a great deal over the long run over
>using Ni-MH. Here's the info I gathered on various
>models:
>
>Model No. mAh low kit price website
>Samsung SBP-1103 1100mAh $84 http://www.samsungcamera.com
>Power Vision RCR-V3 1200mAh $59 http://www.apitec.com.tw/
>Omicron 3CRV-3R 1200mAh $27
>Moby Power RCR-V3 unk mAh$45 http://www.mobypower.com/
>Delkin Devices RCR-V3 $33 unk mAh http://www.delkin.com/

There is no way 1100mAh RCR-V3 outlast 2100 NIMH in normal temperature and
right after NIMH taken off the charger. Either the rating is wrong or they
won't last that long. I thing the rating is wrong since my 4 yr old Sony Li-ion
NP-F550 is just a little bigger than RCR-V3 and it has 3000 mAh capacity. Now
I'm not sure if I would buy batteries from a company which can't even figure
out it's capacity. Also for $84.00 I can buy 32 AA cells rated at 2100 mAh and
since 2AA cells =1 CRV then I get 16 times number of batteries. Unless I would
be in extreme, subfreezing weather I cant think of one reason to use those
batteries. BTW the batteries need keyed in compartment. Without keyed
compartment they could be inserted wrong (if they fit, because they're 1mm
longer than AA cell to avoid that) and then they will be shorted out.

jp

Thanks for the feedback...

With the top of the line 2200MaH NImh kits selling for $44,

I think I'm going to try out one of the cheaper Li-Ion kits.

Oh, and thanks for the new tip. No pix of it yet, but this
is the website:
http://www.digipowersolutions.com/
Model No: QCK-CRV3

JandR is listing them at $35

~Jay

armlance <armlance(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> I have these on a Nikon Coolpix 3100 (Power Vision RCR-V3), They have
> excellent battery life.
>
> The ONLY cells I have used with good battery life.
>
> Hope this helps
>

> On 26 Jan 2004 19:37:57 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (jp) wrote:
>
> >Power Vision RCR-V3

jp

Peter,

Not to plug them, but check out this thread from a guy using them in
a Sigma SLR:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6494635

The poster seems to think they last longer than the Ni-MH batteries.
Plus, I like the idea of charging them up and being able to go on
a trip and not worry about the drain as much.

I ordered the Omicron kit and a spare battery from Beach Audio yesterday.
I'll try to have an update on them since it was the cheapest setup of RCR-V3
I could find.

I agree the information out there is sketchy. I think these are only being
produced and marketed from Taiwan and Korea, and this makes info hard
to get.

I'd be interested in where the different brands are manufactured and if that
has any impact on the behaviour.

Unfortunately my wimpy Kodak CX won't be able to give these a run for the
money in testing. I just was looking for the best rechargeable solution for
my camera.

Jay

(E-Mail Removed) (PETERWOJ) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >they seem like a great deal over the long run over
> >using Ni-MH. Here's the info I gathered on various
> >models:
> >
> >Model No. mAh low kit price website
> >Samsung SBP-1103 1100mAh $84 http://www.samsungcamera.com
> >Power Vision RCR-V3 1200mAh $59 http://www.apitec.com.tw/
> >Omicron 3CRV-3R 1200mAh $27
> >Moby Power RCR-V3 unk mAh$45 http://www.mobypower.com/
> >Delkin Devices RCR-V3 $33 unk mAh http://www.delkin.com/
> >

> There is no way 1100mAh RCR-V3 outlast 2100 NIMH in normal temperature and
> right after NIMH taken off the charger. Either the rating is wrong or they
> won't last that long. I thing the rating is wrong since my 4 yr old Sony Li-ion
> NP-F550 is just a little bigger than RCR-V3 and it has 3000 mAh capacity. Now
> I'm not sure if I would buy batteries from a company which can't even figure
> out it's capacity. Also for $84.00 I can buy 32 AA cells rated at 2100 mAh and
> since 2AA cells =1 CRV then I get 16 times number of batteries. Unless I would
> be in extreme, subfreezing weather I cant think of one reason to use those
> batteries. BTW the batteries need keyed in compartment. Without keyed
> compartment they could be inserted wrong (if they fit, because they're 1mm
> longer than AA cell to avoid that) and then they will be shorted out.

armlance

Hi,

I don't think they contain more energy than Ni-Mh batteries, BUT on
cameras that shut down when voltage gets low these do a great job.

I think that the coolpix 3100 is one of these cameras.

Hope this helps.

On 29 Jan 2004 01:47:18 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (PETERWOJ) wrote:

>>they seem like a great deal over the long run over
>>using Ni-MH. Here's the info I gathered on various
>>models:
>>
>>Model No. mAh low kit price website
>>Samsung SBP-1103 1100mAh $84 http://www.samsungcamera.com
>>Power Vision RCR-V3 1200mAh $59 http://www.apitec.com.tw/
>>Omicron 3CRV-3R 1200mAh $27
>>Moby Power RCR-V3 unk mAh$45 http://www.mobypower.com/
>>Delkin Devices RCR-V3 $33 unk mAh http://www.delkin.com/
>>

>There is no way 1100mAh RCR-V3 outlast 2100 NIMH in normal temperature and
>right after NIMH taken off the charger. Either the rating is wrong or they
>won't last that long. I thing the rating is wrong since my 4 yr old Sony Li-ion
>NP-F550 is just a little bigger than RCR-V3 and it has 3000 mAh capacity. Now
>I'm not sure if I would buy batteries from a company which can't even figure
>out it's capacity. Also for $84.00 I can buy 32 AA cells rated at 2100 mAh and
>since 2AA cells =1 CRV then I get 16 times number of batteries. Unless I would
>be in extreme, subfreezing weather I cant think of one reason to use those
>batteries. BTW the batteries need keyed in compartment. Without keyed
>compartment they could be inserted wrong (if they fit, because they're 1mm
>longer than AA cell to avoid that) and then they will be shorted out.

nellybly

On 1/28/04 9:48 PM, in article
wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback...
>
> With the top of the line 2200MaH NImh kits selling for $44,
>
> I think I'm going to try out one of the cheaper Li-Ion kits.
>
> Oh, and thanks for the new tip. No pix of it yet, but this
> is the website:
> http://www.digipowersolutions.com/
> Model No: QCK-CRV3
>
> JandR is listing them at $35
>
> ~Jay

I purchased this from JandR along with a Pentax33wr. This RCR-V3 can't be
used with the 33wr, as there is a small separator in the Pentax battery
compartment, and one side of the RCRV-3 is flat.
NB

nellybly

On 2/2/04 9:53 AM, in article BC43CE8C.25190%(E-Mail Removed),
"nellybly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> http://www.digipowersolutions.com/
>> Model No: QCK-CRV3
>>
>> JandR is listing them at $35
>>
>> ~Jay

> I purchased this from JandR along with a Pentax33wr. This RCR-V3 can't be
> used with the 33wr, as there is a small separator in the Pentax battery
> compartment, and one side of the RCRV-3 is flat.
> NB

Correction. It can be used with the 33wr.
My apologies,
NB