Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Easy-Share Software

Reply
Thread Tools

Kodak Easy-Share Software

 
 
Jeremy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2004
Question for the Kodak folks: Easy Share software includes BackWeb, which
has been identified as spyware. I deleted the BackWeb executable, but I
suspect that I can't get automatic updates any more.

Can anyone explain to us what information is being harvested by EasyShare
and what is being done with it?

--
Unfortunately nobody can control the disruptive behavior of sociopaths who
wish to post to an unmoderated newsgroup such as this one. Informed readers,
however, will have no trouble at all sorting the wheat from the chaff.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2004
Hi Jeremy,

This issue comes up from time to time when people receive a message on their
system that there is spyware a foot. Let me review the features and intent
of the Kodak EasyShare Updater, which is the culprit in these cases.

The purpose of the KODAK Software Updater is to inform you when an update to
your KODAK EasyShare Software is available and to make installation of the
update convenient and simple. Please be assured that the KODAK Software
Updater does not and, in fact, cannot record, collect or transmit any
personal information you may store on your computer.

Also, the KODAK Software Updater periodically queries the Kodak server to
check for new versions of your KODAK EasyShare Software. The Updater
compares information provided by the Kodak server with information deposited
in a Kodak software registry, which was created on your hard drive when you
installed your KODAK EasyShare Software. The registry contains information
about the Kodak software program you installed -- such as the type and
version of the software, the language you selected, and the location of the
software on your computer. This type of software registry is a feature of
all desktop applications.

If the registry information does not match update information received from
the Kodak server, the Kodak server downloads the updated version of the
KODAK EasyShare Software to the KODAK Software Updater, which asks you
whether you want to install the new version. If you choose to install the
update, the registry is also updated to reflect the new version.

In order to minimize inconvenience to you, the KODAK Software Updater tool
features technology that queries the Kodak server and downloads files only
when you are not using your computer. If you resume use of your computer,
the tool automatically stops and waits until you are finished to continue.

In order to implement this feature, the KODAK Software Updater every
(currently 21 days) polling event checks a) if the internet connection is
available, then b) if the user is actively using the internet connection.
The KSU client uses the idle internet connect time to check the server for
available updates. This means that the KSU client will not impact the
performance of using their internet connection, and does not impact the
performance of the system because this happens once every 21 days. The KODAK
Software Updater cannot access any personal information you may store on
your computer. Nor is it capable of monitoring or recording what you are
typing. In fact, the KODAK Software Updater contains no mechanism for
transmitting data. While Kodak's vendor, Backweb Technologies, Inc., may
offer other products that are capable of two-way communications, the
software Kodak licenses from Backweb does not contain such a feature.

Given this detailed explanation, if you are still uncomfortable with this
Updater feature, of your KODAK EasyShare Software, it is possible either to
disable the KODAK Software Updater, or to un-install it from your computer.
Doing this should only affect your ability to receive automatic updates; you
should still be able to use your KODAK EasyShare Software. Updates may be
made available from time to time on Kodak's website and you are welcome to
visit that site at your convenience to download updated the software.
Instructions on how to deactivate or un-install the KODAK Software Updater
are enclosed.

Deactivating the KODAK Software Updater:

You can activate or deactivate the KODAK Software Updater feature at any
time by choosing Start->Programs->Kodak->KODAK Software Updater->KODAK
Software Updater Setup. Note, Windows XP users should choose Start->All
Programs->Kodak->KODAK Software Updater->KODAK Software Updater Setup

Uninstalling the KODAK Software Updater:

1. Choose Start->Settings->Control Panel. Note, Windows XP users should
choose Start->Control Panel.

2. In the Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.

3. From the list, select the KODAK EasyShare Software, and then click
Add/Remove.

4. From the Maintenance window that appears, choose Modify and then click
the Next button.

5. Click on the icon next to Kodak Software Updater and select the Red X.

6. Click the Next button and then the Finish button. This will uninstall
Kodak Software Updater while leaving the Kodak EasyShare application
installed.

7. Upon completion, restart your computer.

Talk to you soon, Jeremy, if you have any other questions, let me know.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BadRb.26475$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Question for the Kodak folks: Easy Share software includes BackWeb, which
> has been identified as spyware. I deleted the BackWeb executable, but I
> suspect that I can't get automatic updates any more.
>
> Can anyone explain to us what information is being harvested by EasyShare
> and what is being done with it?
>
> --
> Unfortunately nobody can control the disruptive behavior of sociopaths who
> wish to post to an unmoderated newsgroup such as this one. Informed

readers,
> however, will have no trouble at all sorting the wheat from the chaff.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
William Jackson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
Jeremy

Backweb in and of itself is not Spyware. Think of BackWeb as a hammer. You
can use that hammer to build houses or you can use that hammer to break into
houses and steal stuff.

Kodak uses BackWeb to deliver updates to the software. It works like this:

Every 21 days the client wakes up and calls into Kodak. A set of rules are
downloaded to your PC and the client then evaluates those rules, sees if the
update is relevant to you (your version, your OS, etc) and if so then goes
and fetches the update package from the Kodak server. When the entire
update has arrived you'll recieve a notice that the update is ready for
installation.

No information is sent by the client to any Kodak server, the only thing we
see from this end is the every-third-week contacts and the download of the
update packages.

If you're interested in more, check here:

http://www.backweb.com/services/html/kodak.html




"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BadRb.26475$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Question for the Kodak folks: Easy Share software includes BackWeb, which
> has been identified as spyware. I deleted the BackWeb executable, but I
> suspect that I can't get automatic updates any more.
>
> Can anyone explain to us what information is being harvested by EasyShare
> and what is being done with it?
>
> --
> Unfortunately nobody can control the disruptive behavior of sociopaths who
> wish to post to an unmoderated newsgroup such as this one. Informed

readers,
> however, will have no trouble at all sorting the wheat from the chaff.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
pjp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
Been reading this thread.

If it's not an option to "not install" and it attempts to "phone home" every
21 days, it's not something I ever want on my pc.

Kodak, if it's gotta be installed then "go pound sand up your arse". I'll
not use and advise others also to not support such bullshit efforts.

William Jackson wrote:
> Jeremy
>
> Backweb in and of itself is not Spyware. Think of BackWeb as a
> hammer. You can use that hammer to build houses or you can use that
> hammer to break into houses and steal stuff.
>
> Kodak uses BackWeb to deliver updates to the software. It works like
> this:
>
> Every 21 days the client wakes up and calls into Kodak. A set of
> rules are downloaded to your PC and the client then evaluates those
> rules, sees if the update is relevant to you (your version, your OS,
> etc) and if so then goes and fetches the update package from the
> Kodak server. When the entire update has arrived you'll recieve a
> notice that the update is ready for installation.
>
> No information is sent by the client to any Kodak server, the only
> thing we see from this end is the every-third-week contacts and the
> download of the update packages.
>
> If you're interested in more, check here:
>
> http://www.backweb.com/services/html/kodak.html
>
>
>
>
> "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BadRb.26475$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>> Question for the Kodak folks: Easy Share software includes BackWeb,
>> which has been identified as spyware. I deleted the BackWeb
>> executable, but I suspect that I can't get automatic updates any
>> more.
>>
>> Can anyone explain to us what information is being harvested by
>> EasyShare and what is being done with it?
>>
>> --
>> Unfortunately nobody can control the disruptive behavior of
>> sociopaths who wish to post to an unmoderated newsgroup such as this
>> one. Informed readers, however, will have no trouble at all sorting
>> the wheat from the chaff.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
pjp wrote:

> Been reading this thread.
>
> If it's not an option to "not install" and it attempts to "phone home" every
> 21 days, it's not something I ever want on my pc.
>
> Kodak, if it's gotta be installed then "go pound sand up your arse". I'll
> not use and advise others also to not support such bullshit efforts.
>


It's your computer. But if you want to use the software, you can
uninstall the update portion. Given your obvious paranoia, it amazes me
that you are on the internet at all.
And with your IP and the program you use for mail/news (OE6), arguably
the least secure program known to modern man, at that. The use of OE
constitutes more risk to your system than the Kodak updater.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Matt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2004
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:58:48 -0500, "William Jackson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jeremy
>
>Backweb in and of itself is not Spyware. Think of BackWeb as a hammer. You
>can use that hammer to build houses or you can use that hammer to break into
>houses and steal stuff.
>
>Kodak uses BackWeb to deliver updates to the software. It works like this:
>
>Every 21 days the client wakes up and calls into Kodak. A set of rules are
>downloaded to your PC and the client then evaluates those rules, sees if the
>update is relevant to you (your version, your OS, etc) and if so then goes
>and fetches the update package from the Kodak server. When the entire
>update has arrived you'll recieve a notice that the update is ready for
>installation.
>
>No information is sent by the client to any Kodak server, the only thing we
>see from this end is the every-third-week contacts and the download of the
>update packages.
>
>If you're interested in more, check here:
>
>http://www.backweb.com/services/html/kodak.html



Ok, Ok, it ain't "spyware", But I still hate it:

1. It's yet another piece of background dross
2. I prefer to check for updates when I want to, and to get a
positive or negative response.

If you insist on likening it to a hammer...

It's a hammer which, instead of allowing you to pick it up, see if
there's a nail there, and hammer it in....

Every 21 days, looks for a nail to hammer in, and doesnt let you know
if it didn't find one, or didn't even get out of the toolbox.


As far as I'm concerned, there is only one good way to get updates,
and that's "Check NOW", and I'd like to know what version I'm getting,
and what improvements it's expected to give, before I decide if it's
worth downloading.

--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
Matt wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:58:48 -0500, "William Jackson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Jeremy
>>
>>Backweb in and of itself is not Spyware. Think of BackWeb as a hammer. You
>>can use that hammer to build houses or you can use that hammer to break into
>>houses and steal stuff.
>>
>>Kodak uses BackWeb to deliver updates to the software. It works like this:
>>
>>Every 21 days the client wakes up and calls into Kodak. A set of rules are
>>downloaded to your PC and the client then evaluates those rules, sees if the
>>update is relevant to you (your version, your OS, etc) and if so then goes
>>and fetches the update package from the Kodak server. When the entire
>>update has arrived you'll recieve a notice that the update is ready for
>>installation.
>>
>>No information is sent by the client to any Kodak server, the only thing we
>>see from this end is the every-third-week contacts and the download of the
>>update packages.
>>
>>If you're interested in more, check here:
>>
>>http://www.backweb.com/services/html/kodak.html

>
>
>
> Ok, Ok, it ain't "spyware", But I still hate it:
>
> 1. It's yet another piece of background dross
> 2. I prefer to check for updates when I want to, and to get a
> positive or negative response.
>
> If you insist on likening it to a hammer...
>
> It's a hammer which, instead of allowing you to pick it up, see if
> there's a nail there, and hammer it in....
>
> Every 21 days, looks for a nail to hammer in, and doesnt let you know
> if it didn't find one, or didn't even get out of the toolbox.
>
>
> As far as I'm concerned, there is only one good way to get updates,
> and that's "Check NOW", and I'd like to know what version I'm getting,
> and what improvements it's expected to give, before I decide if it's
> worth downloading.
>

So turn the damn thing off and pretend it doesn't exist. Is that too hard?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bubba
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
Geez Louise.....
If this guy has any immediate family I sure feel sorry for them.....

--

- Bubba


"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matt wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:58:48 -0500, "William Jackson"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>Jeremy
> >>
> >>Backweb in and of itself is not Spyware. Think of BackWeb as a hammer.

You
> >>can use that hammer to build houses or you can use that hammer to break

into
> >>houses and steal stuff.
> >>
> >>Kodak uses BackWeb to deliver updates to the software. It works like

this:
> >>
> >>Every 21 days the client wakes up and calls into Kodak. A set of rules

are
> >>downloaded to your PC and the client then evaluates those rules, sees if

the
> >>update is relevant to you (your version, your OS, etc) and if so then

goes
> >>and fetches the update package from the Kodak server. When the entire
> >>update has arrived you'll recieve a notice that the update is ready for
> >>installation.
> >>
> >>No information is sent by the client to any Kodak server, the only thing

we
> >>see from this end is the every-third-week contacts and the download of

the
> >>update packages.
> >>
> >>If you're interested in more, check here:
> >>
> >>http://www.backweb.com/services/html/kodak.html

> >
> >
> >
> > Ok, Ok, it ain't "spyware", But I still hate it:
> >
> > 1. It's yet another piece of background dross
> > 2. I prefer to check for updates when I want to, and to get a
> > positive or negative response.
> >
> > If you insist on likening it to a hammer...
> >
> > It's a hammer which, instead of allowing you to pick it up, see if
> > there's a nail there, and hammer it in....
> >
> > Every 21 days, looks for a nail to hammer in, and doesnt let you know
> > if it didn't find one, or didn't even get out of the toolbox.
> >
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned, there is only one good way to get updates,
> > and that's "Check NOW", and I'd like to know what version I'm getting,
> > and what improvements it's expected to give, before I decide if it's
> > worth downloading.
> >

> So turn the damn thing off and pretend it doesn't exist. Is that too

hard?


 
Reply With Quote
 
William Jackson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
Matt

That's fine, you can always update from the web. There is an option in the
preferences box to turn off the updater. Right click on the system tray
icon or go into preferences from within EasyShare and turn off automatic
updating.


"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> As far as I'm concerned, there is only one good way to get updates,
> and that's "Check NOW", and I'd like to know what version I'm getting,
> and what improvements it's expected to give, before I decide if it's
> worth downloading.
>
> --
> I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
> http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles
>
> If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!



 
Reply With Quote
 
Donald Gray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:52:48 +0000, Matt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok, Ok, it ain't "spyware", But I still hate it:
>
>1. It's yet another piece of background dross
>2. I prefer to check for updates when I want to, and to get a
>positive or negative response.

My only experience with Easy-Share was yesterday. Not a very happy
meeting!

I was called out by a business colleague who had just bought a new
3.5Mp camera - It came with a copy of E-S. Fe installed it and liked
it.

A couple of days later, he checked his email, Guess What? His machine
hung. - It wouldn't even respond to 'End Task' It hung every time he
went to dial out. The only way he could get control was hitting the
reset button on the machine itself!

At first he didn't tell me about the E-S...

I checked the modem - OK.
Checked the cables and line - OK etc etc etc...

Looking at Task Manager revealed the Kodak Updater sitting there. Put
there at Boot-time. Removed it - Dial-up OK. The updater somehow
convinced the modem(or system) that it was already on line (when it
wasn't0 and confused the dial-up programme - instant crash (lock-up)

On further investigation, it showed that all image associations had
been stolen by E-S. The Registry had huge amount of entries the Kodak
section - almost more that Microsoft!

Yeah - from my first impression of Kodak Easy-share (& you only get
one chance at a first impression), was Yuk, what an arrogant lump of
S/W - it seems to trample over very thing and grab it for itself.

My colleague asked me to dump it - I found no un-install programme
available in the 'Programs' directory - Yuk! so I went to Control
panel/uninstall software. It took longer to run the un installer to
remove a few 10s of Mb than it did to remove 800 Mb of Autoroute!!!!

AND it did not do a clean job... left empty directories cluttering up
the place, Icons on the desktop..... I haven't checked Registry (I
dare not even take a peep!!)

I suggest that Kodak take a harder look at what makes a more 'Polite'
lump of software. From my one and only experience of E-S, I don't want
to revisit it - perhaps I am being hard on it but it did leave a nasty
experience in my mind, and that of my colleague.

I fit works for you, great. It will never work for me - I will never
try it again - There is a multitude of alternatives that work fine for
me.
--
Donald Gray
Putting ODCOMBE on the Global Village Map!
www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
You do not have to email me, but if you wish to...
Please remove the SafetyPin from my email address first
Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kodak software ,unable to down load from kodak JSN61 Digital Photography 1 08-09-2004 12:48 AM
Kodak EasyShare Shutdown Problem for Kodak 4530 JR Berry Digital Photography 10 06-08-2004 08:17 AM
Kodak DX 6440 vs. Kodak DX 6340 Barbara Clayton Digital Photography 12 02-21-2004 02:15 AM
Kodak DX4530 or Kodak DX6340?????? eng Digital Photography 15 02-05-2004 03:44 PM
Kodak DX6490 Why does Kodak not support external filters? Info Digital Photography 10 11-18-2003 06:33 PM



Advertisments