Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony F828

Reply
Thread Tools

Sony F828

 
 
xavier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2004
I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
with Photoshop or other software manipulation?

Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?

Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?

Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?

Thanks..........Xavier
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Birk Binnard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2004
I've had my F828 for 3 days and can answer some of your questions:

1. The camera has a very sensitive CCD so it is much easier to take images
that have PF than it is with other cameras. If you take typical scenery and
or portraits this will not be a problem. But it is also to easy to take
"pathological" pictures that have vasrying degrees of PF in them. For
instance, I shot a and image if a nearly white house against a cloudless
bright blue morning sky and the house had fringing at it's edges. I was
able to remove all the fringing with Elements in about 10 minutes, and I had
not done that sort of thing before.

I agree with the 828 reviews on the Lumionous Landscape site.....the 828 is
a great camera but it does require intelligent use.

2. The camera does not do panoramas directly. Here is the solution I came
up with (copied from a post I made at DPReview.com):
=================================
When shooting a multi-image panorama it is important to use the same
exposure settings for each individual image comprising the panorama. The
F828 has no direct way to do this since the AELock function is disabled when
the shsutter is pressed to take the first picture. However, the following
workaround solves the problem:
1. Put the camera in P mode and pan across the scene noting the F-stop and
shutter speed values. Pick an F-stop and shutter speed that is roughly in
the middle of the range displayed. If there is a particular part of the
panoram you want to emphasize, note the settings for that part.

2. Set the camera to M mode. Since the F828 remembers M mode settings from
the last time it will reset the F-stop and shutter speed to whatever they
were the last time it was in M mode.

3. Using the control wheel, set the F-stop and shutter speed to the values
you determined in (1) above. The camera will maintain these values until you
either change them yourself or switch out of M mode.

4. While still in M mode take all the images in the panorama. Because of (3)
all images will have the same exposure values.

That's it.....happy panoramaing.
=================================

3. The tripod mount is along the lens centerline, but probably about 1 1/2"
(4 cm) in front of the CCD sensor. I don't think this matters much for
panoramas that are scenes far away from the camera location. I've not
actually stitched any individual shots together yet, but I can[t wait to do
so. The 8MP images have amazing amounts of detail in them.


Hope this helps.
---------------
Birk Binnard
Peninsula Software
http://www.birkbinnard.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jim Waggener
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2004

"xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
> heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
> anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
> with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
>
> Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
> with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
>
> Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?
>
> Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
> tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
>
> Thanks..........Xavier



For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml

I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
 
Reply With Quote
 
DJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2004
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:39:01 -0500, "Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
>> heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
>> anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
>> with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
>>
>> Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
>> with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
>>
>> Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?
>>
>> Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
>> tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
>>
>> Thanks..........Xavier

>
>
>For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml
>
>I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.


Nicely taken photos. But the NOISE! And at ISO64 at that.


>
>
>
>
>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2004
Some nice photos, as far as composition and subject. Even exposures look
good. BUT...... the reviewer states that the noise at ISO 64 is virtually
non-existent. He really needs to look again! It's looks pretty noisy to me.

Bill

"Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
> > heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
> > anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
> > with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
> >
> > Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
> > with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
> >
> > Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?
> >
> > Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
> > tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
> >
> > Thanks..........Xavier

>
>
> For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml
>
> I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.
>
>
>
>
> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----



 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary Banuk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2004
How does it perform in the macro mode? I heard that it had barrel
distortion.



On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 05:38:42 -0500, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Some nice photos, as far as composition and subject. Even exposures look
>good. BUT...... the reviewer states that the noise at ISO 64 is virtually
>non-existent. He really needs to look again! It's looks pretty noisy to me.
>
>Bill
>
>"Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> > I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
>> > heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
>> > anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
>> > with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
>> >
>> > Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
>> > with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
>> >
>> > Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?
>> >
>> > Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
>> > tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
>> >
>> > Thanks..........Xavier

>>
>>
>> For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml
>>
>> I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Salomon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gary Banuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How does it perform in the macro mode? I heard that it had barrel
> distortion.
>
>
>
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 05:38:42 -0500, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Some nice photos, as far as composition and subject. Even exposures look
> >good. BUT...... the reviewer states that the noise at ISO 64 is virtually
> >non-existent. He really needs to look again! It's looks pretty noisy to me.
> >
> >Bill
> >
> >"Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> >> > I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
> >> > heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
> >> > anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
> >> > with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
> >> >
> >> > Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
> >> > with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
> >> >
> >> > Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?
> >> >
> >> > Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
> >> > tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks..........Xavier
> >>
> >>
> >> For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
> >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml
> >>
> >> I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> >> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> >> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

> >

>


Works fine. Use it for catalog shots all the time. No problem even with
raw mode on a Mac using the new PS CS raw plug-in.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary Banuk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
At what focal lengths do find that the macro works best? I would think
that in the 50 - 100 range would be the best.



On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:05:43 -0500, Bob Salomon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gary Banuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> How does it perform in the macro mode? I heard that it had barrel
>> distortion.
>>
>>
>>
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 05:38:42 -0500, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Some nice photos, as far as composition and subject. Even exposures look
>> >good. BUT...... the reviewer states that the noise at ISO 64 is virtually
>> >non-existent. He really needs to look again! It's looks pretty noisy to me.
>> >
>> >Bill
>> >
>> >"Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >>
>> >> "xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> >> > I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
>> >> > heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
>> >> > anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
>> >> > with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
>> >> >
>> >> > Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
>> >> > with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
>> >> >
>> >> > Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?
>> >> >
>> >> > Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is the
>> >> > tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
>> >> >
>> >> > Thanks..........Xavier
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
>> >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml
>> >>
>> >> I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>> >> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> >> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
>> >

>>

>
>Works fine. Use it for catalog shots all the time. No problem even with
>raw mode on a Mac using the new PS CS raw plug-in.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Salomon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gary Banuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> At what focal lengths do find that the macro works best? I would think
> that in the 50 - 100 range would be the best.
>
>
>
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:05:43 -0500, Bob Salomon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Gary Banuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> How does it perform in the macro mode? I heard that it had barrel
> >> distortion.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 05:38:42 -0500, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Some nice photos, as far as composition and subject. Even exposures look
> >> >good. BUT...... the reviewer states that the noise at ISO 64 is virtually
> >> >non-existent. He really needs to look again! It's looks pretty noisy to
> >> >me.
> >> >
> >> >Bill
> >> >
> >> >"Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> >>
> >> >> "xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> >> >> > I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I have
> >> >> > heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration. Has
> >> >> > anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be corrected
> >> >> > with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure, etc.)
> >> >> > with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the EVF?
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera. Is
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Thanks..........Xavier
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
> >> >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml
> >> >>
> >> >> I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> >> >> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> >> >> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
> >> >
> >>

> >
> >Works fine. Use it for catalog shots all the time. No problem even with
> >raw mode on a Mac using the new PS CS raw plug-in.

>


I don't look at the focal length. I look at what fills the screen with
the part/object/objects at the distance that I am shooting at and then
shoot it. So far I have not had a problem with the 828 for this purpose.
I also had no problems when I used the 717, the 5700 or the 950. It is a
tool that does the job I need and does it well.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich Bail
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2004
No noise on the original. Please realize that the image you saw was about a
100kb image making email transmission easier, while the original was 4.5 mb.
Stretching the reduced size image will produce artifacts.

The F828 gets the best macro at the 28 mm position. About 0.8 inches from
the lens surface. I wish it was best at 100, but it is not.



"Bob Salomon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gary Banuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > At what focal lengths do find that the macro works best? I would think
> > that in the 50 - 100 range would be the best.
> >
> >
> >
> > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:05:43 -0500, Bob Salomon
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > > Gary Banuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > >> How does it perform in the macro mode? I heard that it had barrel
> > >> distortion.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 05:38:42 -0500, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > >> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> >Some nice photos, as far as composition and subject. Even exposures

look
> > >> >good. BUT...... the reviewer states that the noise at ISO 64 is

virtually
> > >> >non-existent. He really needs to look again! It's looks pretty noisy

to
> > >> >me.
> > >> >
> > >> >Bill
> > >> >
> > >> >"Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >> >>
> > >> >> "xavier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > >> >> > I am interested in the Sony F828 but have concerns about what I

have
> > >> >> > heard concerning the purple fringing or chromatic aberration.

Has
> > >> >> > anyone found this to be a significant problem? Can it be

corrected
> > >> >> > with Photoshop or other software manipulation?
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > Also, does the camera perform properly (autofocus, exposure,

etc.)
> > >> >> > with a circular polarizer filter screwed to the lens?
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > Is the manual focus precise and easily accomplished with the

EVF?
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > Finally has anyone taken many panoramic shots with the camera.

Is
> > >> >> > the
> > >> >> > tripod mount at the lens plane and are these top rate panoramas?
> > >> >> >
> > >> >> > Thanks..........Xavier
> > >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >> >> For a few shots showing the capability of the F828 check here:
> > >> >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/telling.shtml
> > >> >>
> > >> >> I would say the photo's are pretty impressive.
> > >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >> >>
> > >> >> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> > >> >> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> > >> >> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >
> > >Works fine. Use it for catalog shots all the time. No problem even with
> > >raw mode on a Mac using the new PS CS raw plug-in.

> >

>
> I don't look at the focal length. I look at what fills the screen with
> the part/object/objects at the distance that I am shooting at and then
> shoot it. So far I have not had a problem with the 828 for this purpose.
> I also had no problems when I used the 717, the 5700 or the 950. It is a
> tool that does the job I need and does it well.
>
> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony F828 Rick Digital Photography 9 09-02-2003 04:49 PM
Re: Is the 8 mp Sony DSC-F828 about the Best Digital Camera out now? Gerard McGovern Digital Photography 30 08-29-2003 03:34 PM
Re: Is the 8 mp Sony DSC-F828 about the Best Digital Camera out now? Petzl Digital Photography 4 08-23-2003 12:50 PM
Re: Is the 8 mp Sony DSC-F828 about the Best Digital Camera out now? BUNTOVNIK Digital Photography 15 08-21-2003 09:36 PM
Re: Is the 8 mp Sony DSC-F828 about the Best Digital Camera out now? Michael Meissner Digital Photography 2 08-20-2003 02:56 PM



Advertisments