Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Color Negatives

Color Negatives

Robert Olson

Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

Ken Burns

"Robert Olson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

Photoshop

JMooreTS

>Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

Are you sure you want software? If so, yes Photoshop can do it.

If you're asking whether color negatives can be scanned and produce positives,
the answer to that is also "yes". But you don't need Photoshop to do it. Most
film scanners provide software which will convert negative images to positives.

Mark Herring

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:06:00 GMT, Robert Olson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

This could also be read as a "thing" that you stick negs into---and
they come out positive.

You need to scan the negatives: Normally, whe a scanner is told it is
scanning a neg, it creates a "positive" file.

Now--to make a postive--you need to use a film recorder. This may be
the most expensive step.
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Ethan Trewhitt

According to JMooreTS <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Are you sure you want software? If so, yes Photoshop can do it.

Out of curiosity, what is the color coversion required to do this in PS? I
know it's not a straight inversion (for color negatives), otherwise black
would be white on the negative instead of amber/brown-ish. How exactly are the
colors converted?

--
eth'nT
http://www.hydrous.net

Dave Martindale

"Ethan Trewhitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Out of curiosity, what is the color coversion required to do this in PS? I
>know it's not a straight inversion (for color negatives), otherwise black
>would be white on the negative instead of amber/brown-ish. How exactly are the
>colors converted?

I've described the process in some detail at least twice in this
newsgroup before. I suggest doing a google search to find the previous
discussions.

Dave

Robert Olson

Interesting answers! The question should have been "When I use my
digital camera to photograph a 35mm color negative, how can I convert
that digital image to a positive". I have built a gadget for my Fuji
Finepix S3000 that does a fine job of copying 35mm slides and
negatives. Professor Franklin and Irfanview both have a capability to
do something that they call "negative", but it produces a blue-green
image. Maybe the negative of a negative is not a positive! Or maybe it
is just a cute special effect.

Well, Photoshop is beyond my budget, and PS Elements does not advertise
this capability.

Robert Olson wrote:

> Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

David J. Littleboy

"Robert Olson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interesting answers! The question should have been "When I use my
> digital camera to photograph a 35mm color negative, how can I convert
> that digital image to a positive". I have built a gadget for my Fuji
> Finepix S3000 that does a fine job of copying 35mm slides and
> negatives. Professor Franklin and Irfanview both have a capability to
> do something that they call "negative", but it produces a blue-green
> image. Maybe the negative of a negative is not a positive! Or maybe it
> is just a cute special effect.

The problem is that the color negative has an orange base layer that you
need to subtract first. After that subtraction, the negative function should
get you closer. (Not that I know how to do that...)

FWIW, if you want a high-power image editor at a reasonable price, check out
Picture Window Pro.

http://www.normankoren.com/PWP_intro.html

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

HRosita

> Robert Olson wrote:

Hi Robert,

Have you tried the Invert command in Elements 2?

go to Image > Adjustments > Invert

It worked for me from positive to negative and back.

Rosita

Tom Monego

Kodak used to amke a slide print film for positive slides from negs. Generally
used with some sort of slide reproduction equipment. Digitally, have a scanner
that can use film the scanning software does it. If you don't have a scanner
with film scanning software there is a procedure to get rid of the color mask
on color negs, But I've always thought the results were flat looking. If you
don't have a scanner get a Kodak PhotoCD (not picture CD) made, inexpensive
place www.imagers.com.

Tom