Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Beginner Advice

Beginner Advice

rich

Hi

I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have started
using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that any one
can recommend so I can get more out of my camera. One area especially is
night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very poor.

Many thanks

Rich

Tony Spadaro

The last two articles in this list are about night shooting. If you go to
the books list you will find a few titles on the subject. Much of what you
can do at night might be limited by teh particualr camera you own. Some
digitals do not allow very long shutter times.
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/techs/mmtechs.html

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
news:buuebe$pe5$(E-Mail Removed)...

stan@temple.edu

rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi

> I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have started
> using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that any one
> can recommend so I can get more out of my camera. One area especially is
> night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very poor.

That depends. Which camera do you have?

Martin Wildam

What you can read in a lot of books about photography is that it mainly
depends on you shooting good pictures than on the camera. Think 30 years
back what type of cameras exist and a lot of famous pictures where taken
with those cameras.

Regarding your digital camera: What type is it and what model? Which
resolution?

"rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:buuebe$pe5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have started
> using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that any

one
> can recommend so I can get more out of my camera. One area especially is
> night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very

poor.

> Many thanks
>
> Rich

rich

"rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buuebe$pe5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have started
> using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that any

one
> can recommend so I can get more out of my camera. One area especially is
> night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very

poor.

> Many thanks
>
> Rich

The camera is a Toshiba PDR-T20 (2 mega pixel) The resolution I take the
pictures on is 1600x1200 and there is one more step after that.

Martin Wildam

I would not use the next higher step above 1600x1200 because it is
interpolated in my opinion.

The T20 is not shown up at http://www.dpreview.com but I found the T10:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...iba_pdrt10.asp

If this looks quite your camera I do not think that there is a lot of
technique to figure out with this camera because it is a point-and-shoot
thing.

For night shots the only thing is to turn the ISO to highest level (should
be 400 in your case) but this could cause higher noise - depending on the
camera. The longest exposure time should be one second in your case. If you
can manually set exposure time you can set it to 1 second for night shots
but I guess it does all automatically. Fortunately your camera has a tripod
mount so you can use a tripod. When doing night shots I use the 2 seconds
self-timer so the camera remains still when taking the picture. Your camera
also has a 2 seconds self-timer.

"rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:bv118s$qa4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:buuebe$pe5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have

started
> > using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that any

> one
> > can recommend so I can get more out of my camera. One area especially is
> > night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very

> poor.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Rich
> >

> The camera is a Toshiba PDR-T20 (2 mega pixel) The resolution I take the
> pictures on is 1600x1200 and there is one more step after that.

rich

"Martin Wildam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bv14et$n5spl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I would not use the next higher step above 1600x1200 because it is
> interpolated in my opinion.
>
> The T20 is not shown up at http://www.dpreview.com but I found the T10:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...iba_pdrt10.asp
>
> If this looks quite your camera I do not think that there is a lot of
> technique to figure out with this camera because it is a point-and-shoot
> thing.
>
> For night shots the only thing is to turn the ISO to highest level (should
> be 400 in your case) but this could cause higher noise - depending on the
> camera. The longest exposure time should be one second in your case. If

you
> can manually set exposure time you can set it to 1 second for night shots
> but I guess it does all automatically. Fortunately your camera has a

tripod
> mount so you can use a tripod. When doing night shots I use the 2 seconds
> self-timer so the camera remains still when taking the picture. Your

camera
> also has a 2 seconds self-timer.
>
> "rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im

Newsbeitrag
> news:bv118s$qa4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:buuebe$pe5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have

> started
> > > using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that

any
> > one
> > > can recommend so I can get more out of my camera. One area especially

is
> > > night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very

> > poor.
> > >
> > > Many thanks
> > >
> > > Rich
> > >

> > The camera is a Toshiba PDR-T20 (2 mega pixel) The resolution I take the
> > pictures on is 1600x1200 and there is one more step after that.

Yeah your right that its point and shoot and the iso can be turned up to
400. for more details on it look at

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...fm?test_id=204

Unfortunately I found out the otherday when I came to use it, this model
does not have a tripod socket!

Rich

Beginner's Beginner william nelson Ruby 7 04-11-2011 11:23 PM
No Class at ALL!!! beginner/beginner question =?Utf-8?B?S3VydCBTY2hyb2VkZXI=?= ASP .Net 7 02-03-2005 02:47 PM
Beginner Advice Sought jbeck Java 12 09-25-2004 05:48 AM
A Beginner needing some advice Edward Doyle Computer Support 2 07-17-2004 03:18 AM

Advertisments