Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What Digital Projector should I buy?

What Digital Projector should I buy?

Simon Walden

My camera club is looking to buy a video projector.

Do any of you have recommendations for (or against) particular bits of kit?

I've got as far as must be native XGA, must have wide contrast (but how
wide?)

Thanks for your assistance

Simon Walden

Vale of Evesham Camera Club

Web: www.EveshamCameraClub.co.uk

Tel: 01386 750076

National Exhibition: www.photo2004com

per

Before you buy, ask how much a replacement bulb will set you back, and the
expected life span of that bulb.
/per

"Simon Walden" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:butfkd$8p5$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My camera club is looking to buy a video projector.
>
> Do any of you have recommendations for (or against) particular bits of

kit?

> I've got as far as must be native XGA, must have wide contrast (but how
> wide?)
>
> Thanks for your assistance
>
> Simon Walden
>
> Vale of Evesham Camera Club
>
> Email: (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Web: www.EveshamCameraClub.co.uk
>
> Tel: 01386 750076
>
> National Exhibition: www.photo2004com

HRosita

Hi,

I have been checking projectors and for me I have decided on the Epson 730c.
Very good specs. 2000 lumen brightness, LCD technology that is somewhat better
for pictures and color, three 0.9 (better than 0.7) high aperture LCDs, 400:1
contrast ration. Native XGA resolution and weighs only 4.4 pounds.

I think the lamp cost is $450 but as more get on the market the cost will come
down. Considering that a lamp life is at least 1000 hour, it means you would
have to use it for 3 hours a day for a year before you need a replacement.
When my InFocus decided to quit, the lamp was still good. The repair shot told
me when I decided to get another one, that Epson and NEC projectors were the
most reliable.
Rosita

Eatmorepies

"per" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Before you buy, ask how much a replacement bulb will set you back, and the
> expected life span of that bulb.
> /per

I bought 2 VT460 NEC projectors for work and got 2 spare lamps thrown in.
Excellent projectors they are too.

John

Digitalis

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:57:07 +0000, Simon Walden wrote:

> My camera club is looking to buy a video projector.
>
> Do any of you have recommendations for (or against) particular bits of kit?
>
> I've got as far as must be native XGA, must have wide contrast (but how
> wide?)

After you make decisions about the kind of projector you want, call a
representative or two in your area and audition different projectors with
typical viewing material for your club. Projectors are all different in
image quality and ergonomics.

zeitgeist

> I think the lamp cost is $450 but as more get on the market the cost will

come
> down. Considering that a lamp life is at least 1000 hour, it means you

would
> have to use it for 3 hours a day for a year before you need a replacement.

don't count on it. from what I've seen the bulb prices have remained
relatively stable.

however they are making them better and they last longer.

Hans-Georg Michna

"Simon Walden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My camera club is looking to buy a video projector.
>
>Do any of you have recommendations for (or against) particular bits of kit?
>
>I've got as far as must be native XGA, must have wide contrast (but how
>wide?)

Simon,

you probably want to see high-quality photos on it, so my home
cinema projector (an InFocus LP290, meanwhile perhaps outdated
anyway) would not qualify with a contrast of 1 : 400. You
certainly want something better than 1 : 1000, and some
projectors in that range are available at affordable prices
(around $2,000). Of course you can always pay more and get
better performance for it.

One crucial point is to be able to darken the room entirely. Of
course you can never, at today's luminosities, get any really
high contrast when you have stray light in the room, so this is
a must.

The upside is that the luminosity of the projector then hardly
matters. Anything around 1,000 ANSI lumen is quite sufficient.
Brighter is better, but if you have a budget, this is the place
to compromise.

I wouldn't say that LCD projectors are always better. Mine is of
the LCD type, and I cannot complain, but a good LPD projector
can be just as good or better.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Hans-Georg Michna

Hans-Georg Michna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The upside is that the luminosity of the projector then hardly
>matters. Anything around 1,000 ANSI lumen is quite sufficient.
>Brighter is better, but if you have a budget, this is the place
>to compromise.

Addendum: I forgot to mention that, of course, there is a limit
to the screen size at lower luminosities. 1,000 ANSI lumen are
sufficient, in a totally dark room, for roughly up to an 8 to 10
ft wide screen. If the screen is much wider, you need a lot more
light. Twice the width requires four times the amount of light.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Chris Doran

"zeitgeist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<pPJQb.142091$I06.1359450@attbi_s01>...
> > I think the lamp cost is $450 but as more get on the market the cost will

> come
> > down. Considering that a lamp life is at least 1000 hour, it means you

> would
> > have to use it for 3 hours a day for a year before you need a replacement.

People using them for home TVs will soon clock up that much.

> don't count on it. from what I've seen the bulb prices have remained
> relatively stable.

Agreed. You can sometimes pick them up quite cheaply on eBay.
Sometimes a dead projector with a good bit of bulb life to go sells
for less than a new bulb.

Is there any good reason why these bulbs cost so much?

Is it like printer cartridges where the manufacturers make their money
in spares?

Has anyone tried replacing a bulb in a "used" cradle? Presumably
they're reasonably standard OHP-like bulbs cemented in place.

I surfed across a model recently that uses a standard OHP bulb that
only costs a few $, but foolishly I failed to note the details. Can
anyone enlighten us?

Chris

HRosita

>chris_doran wrote:

>People using them for home TVs will soon clock up that much.

Hi,

True, but the original poster said that the projector was for a club. Besides
for TV Viewing I would buy a SVGA (800x600) projector that you can get for
$1000.
Rosita