Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Tired of ACDSee crashing - alternatives?

Tired of ACDSee crashing - alternatives?

Michael

I am getting real tired of ACDSee 5.0.1 dying on me. I would gladly pay for
the upgrade to 6.0, but I have heard on this forum that it is worse than
5.0. I only use it for browsing and managing my files. I use Photoshop for
editing.

I just saw a web site for XnView. It says it supports CRW, which I use.
Anyone having good luck using this? Thanks!

Jan-Erik Nyberg

This problem was as early as in Version 3 , so I went back
to the Classic Version v2.41 , which is good for browsing.

the only thing You can do with a picture is "rotate".

jen

"Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Xns94796D2D713E8michaelmflyahoocom@24.25.9.43 ...
> I am getting real tired of ACDSee 5.0.1 dying on me. I would gladly pay

for
> the upgrade to 6.0, but I have heard on this forum that it is worse than
> 5.0. I only use it for browsing and managing my files. I use Photoshop for
> editing.
>
> I just saw a web site for XnView. It says it supports CRW, which I use.
> Anyone having good luck using this? Thanks!

Ron Hunter

Michael wrote:

> I am getting real tired of ACDSee 5.0.1 dying on me. I would gladly pay for
> the upgrade to 6.0, but I have heard on this forum that it is worse than
> 5.0. I only use it for browsing and managing my files. I use Photoshop for
> editing.
>
> I just saw a web site for XnView. It says it supports CRW, which I use.
> Anyone having good luck using this? Thanks!

Xnview is a nice program, but I prefer Irfanview for that type of work.
NOt sure what CRW is.

Roland Karlsson

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Michael wrote:
>
>> I am getting real tired of ACDSee 5.0.1 dying on me. I would gladly pay
>> for the upgrade to 6.0, but I have heard on this forum that it is worse
>> than 5.0. I only use it for browsing and managing my files. I use
>> Photoshop for editing.
>>
>> I just saw a web site for XnView. It says it supports CRW, which I use.
>> Anyone having good luck using this? Thanks!

> Xnview is a nice program, but I prefer Irfanview for that type of work.
> NOt sure what CRW is.

Irfanview supports CRW - it is Canon Raw Format.

And it is free. Irfanview that is.

Long time ago I had ACDSee 3.1 - a fantastic viewer. I later converted
to newer versions. Newer versions sux IMHO. Big time.

But, instead of backing to ACDSee 3.1, I just use Irfanview instead.
It is a very nice viewer. It is not as fast as ACDSee 3.1, but it
is fast enough.

/Roland

HRosita

Hi,

Irfanview is my bread and butter. I associate all JPG images with it and fast
browse them using the arrows just to see what I am transferring from my card to
the computer. I use it to create a page of thumnails to insert in a backup CD
jewel case. I use it to resize pictures for slide shows and even for some
elementary editing.. For serious editing I use Photoshop.
Rosita

MJ@MJ.com

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:43:21 GMT, Michael
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am getting real tired of ACDSee 5.0.1 dying on me. I would gladly pay for
>the upgrade to 6.0, but I have heard on this forum that it is worse than
>5.0. I only use it for browsing and managing my files. I use Photoshop for
>editing.

3.1 is the best of all. It used to crash frequently on W98 but since I
put it on with XP it hasn't crashed once in weeks. And the auto-rename
function works as it should, unlike that in every subsequent version,
including 6. Find it and try it. It's available for free in various
places. UK camera mags have been including it on cover discs here.

MJ

Ron Hunter

HRosita wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Irfanview is my bread and butter. I associate all JPG images with it and fast
> browse them using the arrows just to see what I am transferring from my card to
> the computer. I use it to create a page of thumnails to insert in a backup CD
> jewel case. I use it to resize pictures for slide shows and even for some
> elementary editing.. For serious editing I use Photoshop.
> Rosita

I use Irfanview for 90% of all the editing I need to do to my pictures.
For the rare shot that needs more help, I use one of about a dozen
photo editors I have. Rather like TurboPhoto and PictureIT 7.0. Still
haven't seen any need for anything more powerful.

Ron Hunter

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:43:21 GMT, Michael
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I am getting real tired of ACDSee 5.0.1 dying on me. I would gladly pay for
>>the upgrade to 6.0, but I have heard on this forum that it is worse than
>>5.0. I only use it for browsing and managing my files. I use Photoshop for
>>editing.

> 3.1 is the best of all. It used to crash frequently on W98 but since I
> put it on with XP it hasn't crashed once in weeks. And the auto-rename
> function works as it should, unlike that in every subsequent version,
> including 6. Find it and try it. It's available for free in various
> places. UK camera mags have been including it on cover discs here.
>
> MJ

Go to the ACDSee site where they still want you to pay $39.95 for it.
SUCH a deal!

Ray

Installed ACDSEE 6 and the updated version also on 2 different xp systems
and a 98 system. TOTAL JUNK!! SLOW and would continually crash. BACK TO
GOOD OLD ACDSEE 3.1.

news:Xns94796D2D713E8michaelmflyahoocom@24.25.9.43 ...
> I am getting real tired of ACDSee 5.0.1 dying on me. I would gladly pay

for
> the upgrade to 6.0, but I have heard on this forum that it is worse than
> 5.0. I only use it for browsing and managing my files. I use Photoshop for
> editing.
>
> I just saw a web site for XnView. It says it supports CRW, which I use.
> Anyone having good luck using this? Thanks!

MJ@MJ.com

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:27:44 -0600, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:43:21 GMT, Michael
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I am getting real tired of ACDSee 5.0.1 dying on me. I would gladly pay for
>>>the upgrade to 6.0, but I have heard on this forum that it is worse than
>>>5.0. I only use it for browsing and managing my files. I use Photoshop for
>>>editing.

>> 3.1 is the best of all. It used to crash frequently on W98 but since I
>> put it on with XP it hasn't crashed once in weeks. And the auto-rename
>> function works as it should, unlike that in every subsequent version,
>> including 6. Find it and try it. It's available for free in various
>> places. UK camera mags have been including it on cover discs here.
>>
>> MJ
>>

>Go to the ACDSee site where they still want you to pay $39.95 for it.
>SUCH a deal!

They never were very good at keeping in touch with the outside world.
In the past month I've had it on 2 cover discs and bundled with a
scanner.

MJ