Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Just a question

Just a question

RickyB

I have a Canon A70 and I am very pleased with it. You all know it has
different quality settings Super fine, fine etc.. I know that these settings
are just different amounts of JPEG compressions. What I would like to know
is how much compression is used in each?

Robert E. Williams

RickyB wrote:

> I have a Canon A70 and I am very pleased with it. You all know it has
> different quality settings Super fine, fine etc.. I know that these settings
> are just different amounts of JPEG compressions. What I would like to know
> is how much compression is used in each?

Well, the A70 takes pictures at approx. 3.15 MP.
The uncompressed file size would be about 3 X 3.15 = 9.45 MB
So take identical pictures of a "typical" scene in superfine, fine and normal
and look at the file size.
The degree of compression will vary somewhat with each picture but the range
will be about 6:1, 10:1 and 20:1 for Superfine, Fine, and Normal respectively.
Bob Williams