Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony 828 question

Reply
Thread Tools

Sony 828 question

 
 
RG1202
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
Just received the 828 and noticed that when the lens stops down quickly (going
from bright scene to dark) you can hear the clicks of the lens. Never noticed
this in the 707 or any SLR for that matter. Any other owner hear it or is it
just my unit that does this.
Thanks,
Rick
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
"RG1202" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just received the 828 and noticed that when the lens stops down quickly (going
> from bright scene to dark) you can hear the clicks of the lens. Never noticed
> this in the 707 or any SLR for that matter. Any other owner hear it or is it
> just my unit that does this.


Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
Our 717 is pretty much silent.

Just out of curiosity, is this click audible on recorded movie clips?








 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Eppley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
I noticed the same noise. The clicking noise turned out to be the flash
opening automatically. Enjoy the camera.

John


 
Reply With Quote
 
ScorpionKing@attNOSPAM.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
On 22 Jan 2004 14:22:12 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (RG1202) wrote:

>Just received the 828 and noticed that when the lens stops down

quickly (going
>from bright scene to dark) you can hear the clicks of the lens. Never

noticed
>this in the 707 or any SLR for that matter. Any other owner hear it

or is it
>just my unit that does this.
>Thanks,
>Rick


Rick, what do you think of the photos produced by the 828?
--
Like a game of pick up stick played by ****ing lunatics
 
Reply With Quote
 
RG1202
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
>Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
>Our 717 is pretty much silent.
>
>Just out of curiosity, is this click audible on recorded movie clips?
>
>


Its not the zoom that clicks. Its the lens stopping down or opening up that
does it. not sure what the technical term is. Not the shutter or the zoom
though. The mechanical zoom is one of the reasons I went to the 828. Much
nicer. Anyway, I just tried a couple of movies with the light quickly changing
and you do not hear the lens click in the movie replay OR while you are taking
the movie. Only hear it while in still picture mode!!
 
Reply With Quote
 
RG1202
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
>I noticed the same noise. The clicking noise turned out to be the flash
>opening automatically. Enjoy the camera.


Thanks John, but its not the flash. You can definitely hear the flash opening
up, but the 828 is MUCH smoother and quiter than the 707's auto flash.

Rick
 
Reply With Quote
 
RG1202
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
>Rick, what do you think of the photos produced by the 828?

Have not had a chance to put it to use. Just some throw away shots learning the
controls. I'll report back after I get some serious use in to it.

Rick
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard J Kinch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-23-2004
Rick writes:

> Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
> Our 717 is pretty much silent.


I have a 707; the optical zoom is definitely mechanical (look in the lens
and you see the components moving). What do you mean by "electronic zoom"?
 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-23-2004
"Richard J Kinch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns94798F7C47E7someconundrum@216.196.97.131.. .
> Rick writes:
>
> > Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
> > Our 717 is pretty much silent.

>
> I have a 707; the optical zoom is definitely mechanical (look in the

lens
> and you see the components moving). What do you mean by "electronic

zoom"?

I suspect he means a physical zoom ring, one not operated by a motor
driven by pressing a switch.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-23-2004
"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote in message
news:BseQb.7839$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Richard J Kinch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns94798F7C47E7someconundrum@216.196.97.131.. .
> > Rick writes:
> >
> > > Sony switched from an electronic to a mechanical zoom in the 828.
> > > Our 717 is pretty much silent.

> >
> > I have a 707; the optical zoom is definitely mechanical (look in the

> lens
> > and you see the components moving). What do you mean by "electronic

> zoom"?
>
> I suspect he means a physical zoom ring, one not operated by a motor
> driven by pressing a switch.


Yes.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G.SHDSL 828-to-828 Lars L. Christensen Cisco 2 12-17-2004 03:40 PM
Sony 828 - protective lens question mark_digital Digital Photography 1 02-26-2004 01:25 AM
Sony 828 and Sony Flash 32X?... joe.harman Digital Photography 1 01-04-2004 01:38 AM
Sony 828 will sell well VS 300D Hugo Drax Digital Photography 11 09-10-2003 02:35 AM
Re: sony 828, minolta a1, fuji 7000 Godfrey Digital Photography 1 08-25-2003 04:38 PM



Advertisments