Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Coaxial flash socket for external flash

Coaxial flash socket for external flash

Chris

I'm looking for a camera for indoor portraiture using an umbrella flash.
The very old flash unit I have is a huge Bowens unit with the
old-fashioned,
traditional co-axial flash synch lead.

What would be a suitable digital camera to use with this?
Could I use the new Canon EOS - the plastic one?
I couldn't understand from the spec what flash connections are possible.
--
Chris

Robertwgross

Chris wrote:
>I'm looking for a camera for indoor portraiture using an umbrella flash.
>The very old flash unit I have is a huge Bowens unit with the
>old-fashioned,
>traditional co-axial flash synch lead.
>
>What would be a suitable digital camera to use with this?
>Could I use the new Canon EOS - the plastic one?
>I couldn't understand from the spec what flash connections are possible.

The Canon Digital Rebel does not have a PC connector, so this one is a bad
choice.

---Bob Gross---

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

Chris wrote:
> I'm looking for a camera for indoor portraiture using an umbrella flash.
> The very old flash unit I have is a huge Bowens unit with the
> old-fashioned,
> traditional co-axial flash synch lead.
>
> What would be a suitable digital camera to use with this?
> Could I use the new Canon EOS - the plastic one?
> I couldn't understand from the spec what flash connections are possible.

I think the Kodak DX6490 has one of those connections.

It's a 4megapixel camera with 10x optical zoom (35mm equiv of 38-380mm). The
lens starts at F2.8 (terminology?), and the camera has many manual settings
except for manual focus. The auto focus is very good though.

I can send you a photo taken with one if you like.

Ben Thomas
Melbourne, Australia

The Black Sheep

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris wrote:
> >I'm looking for a camera for indoor portraiture using an umbrella

flash.
> >The very old flash unit I have is a huge Bowens unit with the
> >old-fashioned,
> >traditional co-axial flash synch lead.
> >
> >What would be a suitable digital camera to use with this?
> >Could I use the new Canon EOS - the plastic one?
> >I couldn't understand from the spec what flash connections are

possible.

> The Canon Digital Rebel does not have a PC connector, so this one is

a bad
> choice.

Its trivial to get a standard hot show to PC converter. Go to any
photo store.

Robertwgross

The Black Sheep wrote:
>Its trivial to get a standard hot show to PC converter. Go to any
>photo store.

Yes, but there is a potential problem, literally. Many studio flash units have
a very high trigger voltage, and applying that almost directly to the hot shoe
on a Canon Digital Rebel is likely to cause problems or burn it out altogether.

---Bob Gross---

The Black Sheep

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Black Sheep wrote:
> >Its trivial to get a standard hot show to PC converter. Go to any
> >photo store.

> Yes, but there is a potential problem, literally. Many studio flash

units have
> a very high trigger voltage, and applying that almost directly to

the hot shoe
> on a Canon Digital Rebel is likely to cause problems or burn it out

altogether.

That problem is as much a concern for a PC terminal as for the hot
shoe- in many (most?) new SLRs, digital or otherwise, the PC terminal
can only handle about 6v. I had the problem for years working in
studios! The answer is simple and relatively cheap: I never used the
PC terminal with unknown flash units, and always used a Wein SafeSync.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=245292&is=REG

Robertwgross

The Black Sheep wrote:
>That problem is as much a concern for a PC terminal as for the hot
>shoe- in many (most?) new SLRs, digital or otherwise, the PC terminal
>can only handle about 6v. I had the problem for years working in
>studios! The answer is simple and relatively cheap: I never used the
>PC terminal with unknown flash units, and always used a Wein SafeSync.
>

>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...st&A=details&Q

=&sku=245292&is=REG

Apparently not. The original poster was not asking about any new SLR, but
rather the Digital Rebel. The hot shoe is the piece that is vulnerable to high
voltage. Nor did you mention the Wein part to the original poster.

---Bob Gross---

Randy

I have just purchased the Fuji S2 Pro. It does use the old Std. Flash
cable to make the connection. I looked at Kodaks and Nikon and both
wanted us to use their dedicated flash units or an ugly Adaptor that
sits in the on camera flash hot shoe. I don't know what other cameras
do use the cable but the alternative is the adaptor. which might not
be so bad with a radio slave plugged into the adaptor and a reciever on
the Bowens if the voltage across the pc points is high on the Bowens light.

Chris wrote:
> I'm looking for a camera for indoor portraiture using an umbrella flash.
> The very old flash unit I have is a huge Bowens unit with the
> old-fashioned,
> traditional co-axial flash synch lead.
>
> What would be a suitable digital camera to use with this?
> Could I use the new Canon EOS - the plastic one?
> I couldn't understand from the spec what flash connections are possible.

The Black Sheep

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Black Sheep wrote:
> >That problem is as much a concern for a PC terminal as for the hot
> >shoe- in many (most?) new SLRs, digital or otherwise, the PC

terminal
> >can only handle about 6v. I had the problem for years working in
> >studios! The answer is simple and relatively cheap: I never used

the
> >PC terminal with unknown flash units, and always used a Wein

SafeSync.

>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ctlist&A=detai

ls&Q
> =&sku=245292&is=REG
>
> Apparently not. The original poster was not asking about any new

SLR, but
> rather the Digital Rebel.

The Digital Rebel, which I have, *is* a new SLR.

> The hot shoe is the piece that is vulnerable to high
> voltage. Nor did you mention the Wein part to the original poster.

I did not mention the Wein Safe Synch to the original poster, that is
true. The hot shoe is NOT the only part that is vulnerable to high
voltages. Getting a camera with a PC connector is not a guarantee
that damage will not occur due to high synch voltages. As a case in
point, my Minolta 600si SLR has a PC terminal and when I checked with
Minolta Canada, several years ago, I was told not to use a synch
voltage above 6v on either the PC terminal of the hot shoe.

The original poster asked about a Bowens unit. I can't speak for his
model, but the ones I worked with several years ago had a synch
voltage below 6v, so that was not an issue.

Pixmaker

On 22 Jan 2004 23:45:52 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Robertwgross) wrote:

>The Black Sheep wrote:
>>Its trivial to get a standard hot show to PC converter. Go to any
>>photo store.

Snip

Please...do yourself a huge favor and buy the Wien adapter to protect your camera. Repairing the camera will cost many
times the price of the adapter. And the adapter can be used on any camera.

Some cameras will work well with pretty high voltages. Nikon told me that trigger voltages up to 250 Volts were safe on
my F-4s and many of the Nikon bodies. I still use the protective adapter!

-- DaveinFLL
"It's not the heat, it's the humidity."
(Think the humidity's bad? You should watch us vote!)