Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > help with managing my images for the web

help with managing my images for the web

chris

I have an extensive collection of images used on the web. I need a
system of managing information about each image author, copyright
info, date of creation and many more bits of information needs to be
stored.

In the job I do I have to be able to call up info on any image if
asked.

Is there any links anyone could offer to sites offering advice. Or,
can anyone suggest a softwre programme designed for the job?

Chris

AArDvarK

As far as image comments attached to an image,
as in "image info" try XnView, which is free. It
handles a great many file types and it's thumbnails
are databased, so they load fast. you'll want the full
sized package: http://www.xnview.com/ as well
the databased thumbnails take up very little space.
mine is 14.8 megabytes.

My "My Pictures" folder costs 11.93 Gb, 10,101
files and 396 folders (which includes each zip
file).

The other costs big bux which is Thumbplus, and
it's database is much larger depending on how you
set it up. I have two databases set up, one is over
63 Mb, the other over 130 Mb ... each for the same
folder of "My pictures" ... all for the same as
XnView is doing. http://www.cerious.com/
--
Sincerely,
Alex

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I have an extensive collection of images used on the web. I need a
> system of managing information about each image author, copyright
> info, date of creation and many more bits of information needs to be
> stored.
>
> In the job I do I have to be able to call up info on any image if
> asked.
>
> Is there any links anyone could offer to sites offering advice. Or,
> can anyone suggest a softwre programme designed for the job?
>

> Chris

Savidge4

I see this question over and over and tend to be amazed over and over to the
answers. As far as I know there is not a photo database program that is worth
anything. there are many limitations to all of them.

A quick lesson in Excel can go a long way in creating a spreadsheet that will
meet all of your needs. Yes, there is some upfront time in A) setting the
thing up and B) inserting all of your past work, but once you start using it,
well there is no other choice.

there are many other options beyond excel. I am familiar with some friends
that use a ASP.NET application that they have written that is very nice And as
for me, I use a dated Access database that I created some number of years ago.
I have nice search fields by topic or date (as well as many other fields) I
have thumbnail views of all the images, and my current database holds info on
about 17,000 images.

The one nice thing about creating your own spredsheet/database is the fact that
you can program specifically what you want, and over time as your needs may
change you can program the changes. And the truth is, it really is not that
hard to do.

Hope that helps!

C3

This sounds like quite a good idea. Would you mind giving me (us?) a few
pointers on how to set the whole thing up? I haven't used Access in a while,
but it'll come to me.

If you have any links that you think helped you, those would be great to
have as well.

cheers,

C3

"Savidge4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I see this question over and over and tend to be amazed over and over to

the
> answers. As far as I know there is not a photo database program that is

worth
> anything. there are many limitations to all of them.
>
> A quick lesson in Excel can go a long way in creating a spreadsheet that

will
> meet all of your needs. Yes, there is some upfront time in A) setting the
> thing up and B) inserting all of your past work, but once you start using

it,
> well there is no other choice.
>
> there are many other options beyond excel. I am familiar with some

friends
> that use a ASP.NET application that they have written that is very nice

And as
> for me, I use a dated Access database that I created some number of years

ago.
> I have nice search fields by topic or date (as well as many other fields)

> have thumbnail views of all the images, and my current database holds info

on
> about 17,000 images.
>
> The one nice thing about creating your own spredsheet/database is the fact

that
> you can program specifically what you want, and over time as your needs

may
> change you can program the changes. And the truth is, it really is not

that
> hard to do.
>
> Hope that helps!

AArDvarK

That would be cool to learn ... does it involve
computer language programing? Because I don't
know any ... I have office 97 pro.

Alex

"Savidge4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I see this question over and over and tend to be amazed over and over to the
> answers. As far as I know there is not a photo database program that is worth
> anything. there are many limitations to all of them.
>
> A quick lesson in Excel can go a long way in creating a spreadsheet that will
> meet all of your needs. Yes, there is some upfront time in A) setting the
> thing up and B) inserting all of your past work, but once you start using it,
> well there is no other choice.
>
> there are many other options beyond excel. I am familiar with some friends
> that use a ASP.NET application that they have written that is very nice And as
> for me, I use a dated Access database that I created some number of years ago.
> I have nice search fields by topic or date (as well as many other fields) I
> have thumbnail views of all the images, and my current database holds info on
> about 17,000 images.
>
> The one nice thing about creating your own spredsheet/database is the fact that
> you can program specifically what you want, and over time as your needs may
> change you can program the changes. And the truth is, it really is not that
> hard to do.
>
> Hope that helps!

PeterZiminski

check out a free demo of PhotoLibrary at
http://www.PhotoLibrarySoftware.com/

and the Open Directory which has a list of Image Management Software at
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/G...e_Cataloguing/

See these Reviews too.
http://www.naturephotographers.net/dfs0202-1.html

http://www.photosource.com/tools/software/