Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Place's that won't allow the GPs

Place's that won't allow the GPs

Mark Herring

I've been doing a bit of research...

There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
creeping into this group.

Yahoo groups: MANY---on all conceivable topics---

Photo.net: this looks particulary good---all kinds of photo info,
plus the forums

RPD has degenerated lately, which is too bad, because its been a real
asset for me. It's not just the Foveon nonsense---which includes the
people that feel they MUST respond to GPs every stupid statement.

The group also seems to attract some gutter-mouthes and perverts (
Maybe there is a cause / effect thing here----but which way???)

I have started a kill file---GP was the charter member. Now I note
that Agent goes off to fetch messages and anywhere from 25 - 50% go
right to the kill file. That's gross.
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Braindead Preddy

Mark,

The cost of freedom of speech is people who say things you do not like. I
have been very guilty of responding to Preddy under a few different names,
none of which are my real one.

Allegedly he has killfiled me after I outposted him today. It took him less
than an hour to kill me when I rebutted his every post and made no attempt
at reasoning. Perhaps we can all learn something from George after all...

You probably have killfiled me though anyway and won't see this.

I'll be back posting under another alias tomorrow, one which I will stick
with and that will have GP firmly in the killfile.

"Mark Herring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been doing a bit of research...
>
> There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
> moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
> creeping into this group.
>
> Yahoo groups: MANY---on all conceivable topics---
>
> Photo.net: this looks particulary good---all kinds of photo info,
> plus the forums
>
> RPD has degenerated lately, which is too bad, because its been a real
> asset for me. It's not just the Foveon nonsense---which includes the
> people that feel they MUST respond to GPs every stupid statement.
>
> The group also seems to attract some gutter-mouthes and perverts (
> Maybe there is a cause / effect thing here----but which way???)
>
> I have started a kill file---GP was the charter member. Now I note
> that Agent goes off to fetch messages and anywhere from 25 - 50% go
> right to the kill file. That's gross.
> **************************
> Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
> Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Ron Hunter

Mark Herring wrote:

> I've been doing a bit of research...
>
> There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
> moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
> creeping into this group.
>
> Yahoo groups: MANY---on all conceivable topics---
>
> Photo.net: this looks particulary good---all kinds of photo info,
> plus the forums
>
> RPD has degenerated lately, which is too bad, because its been a real
> asset for me. It's not just the Foveon nonsense---which includes the
> people that feel they MUST respond to GPs every stupid statement.
>
> The group also seems to attract some gutter-mouthes and perverts (
> Maybe there is a cause / effect thing here----but which way???)
>
> I have started a kill file---GP was the charter member. Now I note
> that Agent goes off to fetch messages and anywhere from 25 - 50% go
> right to the kill file. That's gross.
> **************************
> Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
> Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
make that choice for me.

Steve Young

> > Mark Herring wrote:

> > I've been doing a bit of research...

> > There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
> > moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
> > creeping into this group.

> > Yahoo groups: MANY---on all conceivable topics---

> > Photo.net: this looks particulary good---all kinds of photo info,
> > plus the forums

> > RPD has degenerated lately, which is too bad, because its been a real
> > asset for me. It's not just the Foveon nonsense---which includes the
> > people that feel they MUST respond to GPs every stupid statement.

> > The group also seems to attract some gutter-mouthes and perverts (
> > Maybe there is a cause / effect thing here----but which way???)

> > I have started a kill file---GP was the charter member. Now I note
> > that Agent goes off to fetch messages and anywhere from 25 - 50% go
> > right to the kill file. That's gross.

> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
> the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
> be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
> make that choice for me.

Me as well Ron, but it begs the question: Is requesting and maintaining
discussion, even vaguely within the scope of the charter, or the groups
consensus, harmful or censoring?

Paul H.

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark Herring wrote:

> One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
> the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
> be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
> make that choice for me.

And one of the downsides to such grand pronouncements is that they are
over-simplistic almost to the point of being utterly worthless.

When one enters a usenet group named "rec.photo.digital", it is not
unreasonable to expect that what one finds there will be at least marginally
related to digital photography. If the the content of the group is not
accurately described by the group's title, then the vaunted "freedom of
choice" over what one reads already has been taken away, in much the same
way as it would be if one purchased a magazine titled "Modern Music" only to
find out later it contained articles mainly about dollhouses and bratwurst.

Organization of material is almost as important as the material itself, if
the dissemination of knowledge and/or information is the goal. In
illustration, I note that college classes are not held in an auditorium in
which all of the professors for all the subjects speak simultaneously,
leaving it up to the student to mentally filter out information he or she
needs from all the other distracting voices. To the contrary, classes are
arranged wiith such filtering done in advance by having distinct classrooms
and organized subjects so that students may devote their time to the
subjects they have *chosen* to learn, rather than having to waste time in
constantly separating the wanted from the noise, the fabled wheat from the
chaff.

Freedom of choice requires, above all else, real choices from which to
select. When all choices are equivalent, you effectively have chaos, not
liberty.

Adam M

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:14:28 -0600, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Mark Herring wrote:
>
>> I've been doing a bit of research...
>>
>> There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
>> moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
>> creeping into this group.

<SNIP>
>One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
>the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
>be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
>make that choice for me.

Amen brother. My eyes are my kill file. I read what interests me and
ignore the Trolls. I do however at times find great enjoyment in the
banter between a truly effective troll and a some intelligent posters.
In fact, rec.martial-arts is almost all flame war all the time but it
is a daily read for me.

Adam M

Steve Young

> >>Mark Herring wrote:
> >> I've been doing a bit of research...
> >>
> >> There are some really good forums out there that are at least sort of
> >> moderated. They seem to have NO irresponsible posting such as is
> >> creeping into this group.

> <SNIP

> >Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >One of the downsides of freedom of speech is that you won't always like
> >the speech of others. But consider the alternative.... I would rather
> >be in control of what I get to read, rather than having someone else
> >make that choice for me.

> "Adam M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Amen brother. My eyes are my kill file. I read what interests me and
> ignore the Trolls. I do however at times find great enjoyment in the
> banter between a truly effective troll and a some intelligent posters.

> In fact, rec.martial-arts is almost all flame war all the time but it
> is a daily read for me.

Reminds me of a few news admin groups
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet in particular, comes to mind

Allow me to tender this piece of wisdom: