Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fast, reliable CF card

Fast, reliable CF card

Venkat Venkataraju

Hi

I'm new to digital photography and i've decided to buy canon A80 as my
first digital camera. after a lot of searching around, i found out that
all the CF cards are not made the same way. I would like some suggestion
on a fast and reliable CF card.

Thanks in advance
/V

Ron Hunter

Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm new to digital photography and i've decided to buy canon A80 as my
> first digital camera. after a lot of searching around, i found out that
> all the CF cards are not made the same way. I would like some suggestion
> on a fast and reliable CF card.
>
> Thanks in advance
> /V

I rather like my Lexar card. Most comments I have seen in this group
are favorable toward it.

Venkat Venkataraju

> I rather like my Lexar card. Most comments I have seen in this group
> are favorable toward it.

With Lexar, there is 4X, 16X and 40X CF cards. The price is around $60
for a 256MB card. Is there a difference amoung these cards except the
write speed?

/V

Ron Hunter

Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

>> I rather like my Lexar card. Most comments I have seen in this group
>> are favorable toward it.

> With Lexar, there is 4X, 16X and 40X CF cards. The price is around $60
> for a 256MB card. Is there a difference amoung these cards except the
> write speed?
>
> /V

None that I am aware of.

Venkat Venkataraju

> None that I am aware of.

I did some digging and found out that there are normal cards and Write
Acceleration (WA) technology cards. WA cards will be of a great help if
you camera is equipped with the necessary firmware/hardware. These cards
are rated at 40X.

I belive that there are three types of Lexar cards. Regular, Hi Speed
and Pro. The price for these cards look very different on many site.
varying as much as $40 for a 256 MB for the same card. To add to the
confusion, the image that looks like Hi Speed card is listed under a Pro
card and vice versa in some sites.

To put it simply, does it make any difference between a 4X, 12X and a
16X card? given that the camera is Canon PowerShot A80.

I've decided that Lexar is the way to go, but is it worth spending $10+
more for the faster card?

/V

DHB

Firm believer in Lexar quality however there is something you may wish
to consider. Lexar 12X & faster cards all have a lifetime warrantee, the
slower 1 don't.

This may or may not be important but if your purchasing a large card it
may be worth spending a little extra for a 12x in order to have the lifetime
warrantee.

As for me, I generally purchase Lexar 512MB 12x cards when I find them
on sale for $100 USD or less. Don't have any digital camera's that show
much of a difference in the card's speed. That only becomes noticeable if
you have a fast USB 2.0 or firewire card reader/writer on your PC.

Faster transfers to PC is nice but of little importance to me because I
can easily do something else while my pictures transfer to my PC.
Reliability is far more important to me than speed.

Hope my 2 cents proves helpful.

Respectfully, DHB
"Venkat Venkataraju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:99QPb.33031$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
> > None that I am aware of.

> I did some digging and found out that there are normal cards and Write
> Acceleration (WA) technology cards. WA cards will be of a great help if
> you camera is equipped with the necessary firmware/hardware. These cards
> are rated at 40X.
>
> I belive that there are three types of Lexar cards. Regular, Hi Speed
> and Pro. The price for these cards look very different on many site.
> varying as much as $40 for a 256 MB for the same card. To add to the
> confusion, the image that looks like Hi Speed card is listed under a Pro
> card and vice versa in some sites.
>
> To put it simply, does it make any difference between a 4X, 12X and a
> 16X card? given that the camera is Canon PowerShot A80.
>
> I've decided that Lexar is the way to go, but is it worth spending $10+
> more for the faster card?
>
> /V

Venkat Venkataraju

Your note was really helpful. I think i should buy the faster cards.
they are not very expensive than the regular lexar cards. actaully,
right now there is a $15 mail in rebate with their 40X cards which makes
these cards on par with the regular cards.

relaiablity is the most important thing for me too. Last thing i want is
to loose my pictures. digital electronics are bound to fail sometime.
i'm not really sure how a company can give a lifetime warranty on a
digital electronics. even the most relaiable electronics fail due to
temprature and humidity after a long time.

if they give lifetime warranty, there has to be some thing that makes
them confident that the card wont fail for atleat 4+ years. I think it
is a real good sign of a quality product.

/V

DHB wrote:
> Firm believer in Lexar quality however there is something you may wish
> to consider. Lexar 12X & faster cards all have a lifetime warrantee, the
> slower 1 don't.
>
> This may or may not be important but if your purchasing a large card it
> may be worth spending a little extra for a 12x in order to have the lifetime
> warrantee.
>
> As for me, I generally purchase Lexar 512MB 12x cards when I find them
> on sale for $100 USD or less. Don't have any digital camera's that show
> much of a difference in the card's speed. That only becomes noticeable if
> you have a fast USB 2.0 or firewire card reader/writer on your PC.
>
> Faster transfers to PC is nice but of little importance to me because I
> can easily do something else while my pictures transfer to my PC.
> Reliability is far more important to me than speed.
>
> Hope my 2 cents proves helpful.
>
> Respectfully, DHB
> "Venkat Venkataraju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:99QPb.33031$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
>
>>>None that I am aware of.

>>I did some digging and found out that there are normal cards and Write
>>Acceleration (WA) technology cards. WA cards will be of a great help if
>>you camera is equipped with the necessary firmware/hardware. These cards
>>are rated at 40X.
>>
>>I belive that there are three types of Lexar cards. Regular, Hi Speed
>>and Pro. The price for these cards look very different on many site.
>>varying as much as $40 for a 256 MB for the same card. To add to the
>>confusion, the image that looks like Hi Speed card is listed under a Pro
>>card and vice versa in some sites.
>>
>>To put it simply, does it make any difference between a 4X, 12X and a
>>16X card? given that the camera is Canon PowerShot A80.
>>
>>I've decided that Lexar is the way to go, but is it worth spending $10+
>>more for the faster card?
>>
>>/V

Mike Latondresse

Venkat Venkataraju <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Ym0Qb.33256$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com:

> Your note was really helpful. I think i should buy the faster cards.
> they are not very expensive than the regular lexar cards. actaully,
> right now there is a $15 mail in rebate with their 40X cards which
> makes these cards on par with the regular cards.

Don't count the Lexar rebate in your equation...I mailed in my origional
recept, the package code and the form after photocopying it all and they
replied that I did not qualify because I had not send in the origional
receipt, etc, etc. When I responded that I had and retained a photocopy as
proof they replied that that wouldn't do as they needed the origional
receipt etc, etc. Neatest catch 22 I have seen in a long time.

Ron Hunter

Venkat Venkataraju wrote:

> Your note was really helpful. I think i should buy the faster cards.
> they are not very expensive than the regular lexar cards. actaully,
> right now there is a $15 mail in rebate with their 40X cards which makes
> these cards on par with the regular cards.
>
> relaiablity is the most important thing for me too. Last thing i want is
> to loose my pictures. digital electronics are bound to fail sometime.
> i'm not really sure how a company can give a lifetime warranty on a
> digital electronics. even the most relaiable electronics fail due to
> temprature and humidity after a long time.
>
> if they give lifetime warranty, there has to be some thing that makes
> them confident that the card wont fail for atleat 4+ years. I think it
> is a real good sign of a quality product.
>
> /V

Since a CF card has no moving parts (except the Microdrives), and it
VERY sturdy, a lifetime warranty is very little risk to the
manufacturer. I have been using 3 different types for over a year with
no sign of a lost bit, or any other failure. I wouldn't worry greatly
on that score.. I would rate the danger of loss of pictures on a CF
card as much lower than loss of film pictures on a 35 mm roll.

Yip Yap

Venkat Venkataraju <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<_ZvPb.32708$P%(E-Mail Removed) igy.com>...
> Hi
>
> I'm new to digital photography and i've decided to buy canon A80 as my
> first digital camera. after a lot of searching around, i found out that
> all the CF cards are not made the same way. I would like some suggestion
> on a fast and reliable CF card.

You won't go wrong with Sandisk or Lexar.
I also have a couple of PQI cards and they
work just as well. I wouldn't spend more
than $60 for a 256 MB card or more than
$130 for a 512 MB card, otherwise you are
getting ripped off. Check Fry's (outpost.com).

-- Yip