Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Megapixels clearly explained

Megapixels clearly explained

Braindead Preddy

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buo82c$fip$(E-Mail Removed)...

> So

.... 3.4M ...

> in the case of Foveon, which outputs

1512 x 2268 pixels.

Paul H.

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buo82c$fip$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Paul H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:JpyPb.22204$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> >
> > "George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bulu0g$olq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

> > Bah. The number of pixels is the number of dots comprising the picture,
> > regardless of stacked color planes. What's unclear about that?

> So 14M in the case of Foveon, which outputs 4536 x 3024 interpolated

images?

> (4 recorded output pixels per RGB triplet, same interpolation standard as

> Canon 10D's 6MP output file)

You're right, in one sense: I fell prey to the logical error of the Greek
philosopher who once described a man as a "featherless biped", only to be
confronted with a plucked chicken and asked, "Is this your man?"

I did assume, though, we were speaking only of non-interpolated images,
since the inclusion of interpolation allows any camera to be called an
infinite-MP camera, as the amount of interpolation is limited only by the
speed and memory of the computer used to provide the interpolation.
Secondly, interpolation of RGB values to estimate color information at each
pixel has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with the spatial resolution of the
imager, which is what any reasonable person would assume the basic
"megapixel number" is trying to estimate.

Megapixels claims should be based upon the maximum number of independent
luminance-measuring sites in a single plane of the sensor. Of course, you
must be aware of this, but for reasons known only to yourself, you try to
supplant objectivity with obfuscatory quibbling. The SD9 may take wonderul
photos but it is,roughy speaking, a 3.5 MP camera; to suggest otherwise is
simply foolish and wrong-headed.

Michael Quack

In article <buo7t1$fgi$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"George Preddy" says...

> both Bayer and Foveon use a 3 primary
> color sensor model.

Nope. Bayer does. And thanks to precisely defined filters,
it actually works very well.

In absence of defined filters, and with huge spectral overlap
the Foveon is nowhere even near primary colors.

--
Michael Quack <(E-Mail Removed)>

http://www.photoquack.de/glamour/1.htm
http://www.photoquack.de/fashion/1.htm

Bart van der Wolf

"Michael Quack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <buo7t1$fgi$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "George Preddy" says...
>
> > both Bayer and Foveon use a 3 primary
> > color sensor model.

> Nope. Bayer does. And thanks to precisely defined filters,
> it actually works very well.
>
> In absence of defined filters, and with huge spectral overlap
> the Foveon is nowhere even near primary colors.

Correct.
Funny how "George" doesn't even understand how the Foveon works...

Bart

George Preddy

"Michael Quack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <buo7t1$fgi$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "George Preddy" says...
>
> > both Bayer and Foveon use a 3 primary
> > color sensor model.

> Nope. Bayer does. And thanks to precisely defined filters,
> it actually works very well.

Bayer's cheap plastic filters (each pixel's a bit different) are another
reason Canon is not optically competitive. And yet another reason putting
gorgeous L glass infront of that last element, an intetionally cloudy piece
of plastic, makes zero sense.

George Preddy

"Paul H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1ZTPb.23354$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> "George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:buo82c$fip$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Paul H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:JpyPb.22204$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> > >
> > > "George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bulu0g$olq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > Bah. The number of pixels is the number of dots comprising the

picture,
> > > regardless of stacked color planes. What's unclear about that?

> > So 14M in the case of Foveon, which outputs 4536 x 3024 interpolated

> images?
> >
> > (4 recorded output pixels per RGB triplet, same interpolation standard

as
> > Canon 10D's 6MP output file)

> You're right, in one sense: I fell prey to the logical error of the Greek
> philosopher who once described a man as a "featherless biped", only to be
> confronted with a plucked chicken and asked, "Is this your man?"
>
> I did assume, though, we were speaking only of non-interpolated images,

Only Foveon can produce a non-interpolated image.

> since the inclusion of interpolation allows any camera to be called an
> infinite-MP camera, as the amount of interpolation is limited only by the
> speed and memory of the computer used to provide the interpolation.
> Secondly, interpolation of RGB values to estimate color information at

each
> pixel has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with the spatial resolution of

the
> imager, which is what any reasonable person would assume the basic
> "megapixel number" is trying to estimate.
>
> Megapixels claims should be based upon the maximum number of independent
> luminance-measuring sites in a single plane of the sensor.

I disagree, but Foveon actually agrees with you, not me. That is why they
classify the SD9 as only 10.3MP, and not 14MP.

> Of course, you
> must be aware of this, but for reasons known only to yourself, you try to
> supplant objectivity with obfuscatory quibbling. The SD9 may take

wonderul
> photos but it is,roughy speaking, a 3.5 MP camera; to suggest otherwise is
> simply foolish and wrong-headed.

George Preddy

"Bart van der Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40104756$0$318$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...

> Correct.
> Funny how "George" doesn't even understand how the Foveon works...

It's not my link, it is from Carver Mead's website.

www.x3f.info

Bart van der Wolf

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bupur7$lnr$(E-Mail Removed)...
SNIP
> Bayer's cheap plastic filters (each pixel's a bit different) are another
> reason Canon is not optically competitive.

You alledge to know, so:
Which "plastic" (if any) is used?????????????????????

Bart

Bart van der Wolf

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bupvcp$ls7$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bart van der Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40104756$0$318$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>
> > Correct.
> > Funny how "George" doesn't even understand how the Foveon works...

> It's not my link, it is from Carver Mead's website.

No it isn't:

> In article <buo7t1$fgi$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "George Preddy" says...
>
> > both Bayer and Foveon use a 3 primary
> > color sensor model.

Bart

George Preddy

"Bart van der Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:401096c3$0$322$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...

> "George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bupvcp$ls7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Bart van der Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:40104756$0$318$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> >
> > > Correct.
> > > Funny how "George" doesn't even understand how the Foveon works...

> > It's not my link, it is from Carver Mead's website.

> No it isn't:

Yes it is. Carver Mead owns it.