Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Megapixels clearly explained

Megapixels clearly explained

George Preddy

Braindead Preddy

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bulu0g$olq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

Colm

You bought the wrong camera. Get over it.

--
Colm

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bulu0g$olq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

-Gene-

George, I'm definitely interested in the Foveon sensor and think
it, or its equivalent, will be in most digital cameras before long.
I see it as still in the development stage and I don't want one
until it's perfected.
Gene

George Preddy wrote:

> http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

Virgil Hilts

In that page, refers to a pixel (accepted definition) as:

"A color pixel is an information unit consisting of three components, most commonly a red, a green, and a blue value"

What happens when you use a colour model different from RGB (like CYMK or "32-bit colour")?

What's the "minimum accepted depth" (bits) for each component? (I mean, your can have
16-bit colour models (4 bits per component on a RGB-basis), 24-bit, 32-bit, etc.)

George Preddy wrote:
> http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

cb

I'm not sure which one he bought but the Sigma SD10 is a great camera for
the price, IMHO.

"Colm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bum41j$jm9jj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> You bought the wrong camera. Get over it.
>
> --
> Colm
>

> "George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bulu0g$olq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

Colm

And that's a reasonable response to your purchase. I'm happy with my DSLR
too, but GP is so defensive about his that he can't possibly be happy with
it. He should just mark it down to experience.

--
Colm

"cb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TkxPb.12696$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure which one he bought but the Sigma SD10 is a great camera for
> the price, IMHO.

Paul H.

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bulu0g$olq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

Bah. The number of pixels is the number of dots comprising the picture,
regardless of stacked color planes. What's unclear about that?

George Preddy

"Virgil Hilts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bum54h$sa2$(E-Mail Removed)-data.net...
> In that page, refers to a pixel (accepted definition) as:
>
> "A color pixel is an information unit consisting of three components, most

commonly a red, a green, and a blue value"

> What happens when you use a colour model different from RGB (like CYMK or

"32-bit colour")?

Then it would take whatever the model needs to represent a full color,
presumably. If I use 1/10th spectrum sensors to cover the visible range,
then it takes 10. This seems common sensical.

But it's a red herring anyway, as both Bayer and Foveon use a 3 primary
color sensor model.

> What's the "minimum accepted depth" (bits) for each component? (I mean,

your can have
> 16-bit colour models (4 bits per component on a RGB-basis), 24-bit,

32-bit, etc.)

> George Preddy wrote:
> > http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

George Preddy

"Paul H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JpyPb.22204$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> "George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bulu0g$olq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://www.x3f.info/technotes/x3pixel/pixelpage.html

> Bah. The number of pixels is the number of dots comprising the picture,
> regardless of stacked color planes. What's unclear about that?

So 14M in the case of Foveon, which outputs 4536 x 3024 interpolated images?

(4 recorded output pixels per RGB triplet, same interpolation standard as a
Canon 10D's 6MP output file)