Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I AM LEAVING

Reply
Thread Tools

I AM LEAVING

 
 
Bendt Ten Brock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
Depending on the outcome of the life of the
shootin. If it is brought back to life then
so will I.

Lets hope Mona does the right thing.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Annika1980
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
>From: Bendt Ten Brock http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Depending on the outcome of the life of the
>shootin. If it is brought back to life then
>so will I.
>
>Lets hope Mona does the right thing.


Don't flatter yourself by thinking that the existence of the Shoot-In has
anything to do with you and your stupid trolling comments. The fact is that
the participation level HAS dropped of late, whether due to boredom with the
SI, or maybe simply that everyone is busier doing other things at this time of
year.
In hindsight, perhaps it would have been better to have a break of a few weeks
after the original mandates were completed.
And maybe now is a good time for that break.

I am resigning my position as Shoot-In host (aka "Lisa's bee-yatch") mainly
because of time constraints. I am working my last week at my current job and
will be starting another job in two weeks. I have decided to live more of my
life offline instead of online.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DoublEE
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
On 21 Jan 2004 01:00:04 -0000, Bendt Ten Brock wrote:

> Depending on the outcome of the life of the
> shootin. If it is brought back to life then
> so will I.
>
> Lets hope Mona does the right thing.


*cough* nolifeloser *cough*
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Meyers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
Juat an aside. I have been hearing about this shoot in and that... for
months now. I have yet to hear anything about what it was, and how you
would participate.

I know I am not alone in this. So, alive or dead, general information may
improve the participation.

Robert Meyers

"Bendt Ten Brock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Depending on the outcome of the life of the
> shootin. If it is brought back to life then
> so will I.
>
> Lets hope Mona does the right thing.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dallas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
Bendt Ten Brock wrote:
> Depending on the outcome of the life of the
> shootin. If it is brought back to life then
> so will I.
>
> Lets hope Mona does the right thing.
>


**** you. May your life be squished painfully short.

 
Reply With Quote
 
The DaveŠ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
> Bendt Ten Brock wrote:

> I AM LEAVING


Bye.

--
The reason New Yorkers are so angry and depressed is because the light
at the end if the tunnel is New Jersey.
 
Reply With Quote
 
William D. Tallman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
Robert Meyers wrote:

> Juat an aside. I have been hearing about this shoot in and that... for
> months now. I have yet to hear anything about what it was, and how you
> would participate.
>
> I know I am not alone in this. So, alive or dead, general information may
> improve the participation.
>
> Robert Meyers


Hmmm... haven't much experience with computers, then? You might try
clicking on URL links for information. Those are email or internet
addresses that are underlined, and usually show up in blue. What happens
is that your browser will open that link and display the addressed page.
Lot's of information available that way, you know.

Also, you might be interested to learn that including the post to which
you've responded below your post is called top posting, and is considered
a) bad manners, as it forces the reader to scroll down to see context, and
then back up to continue to read your post, and b) also the sign of a
clueless (oblivious and uncaring) newbie. I'm sure you'd rather not
present yourself that way, so investigate your Microsoft Outlook Express
application and see how to configure it to allow you to post properly. The
approved way is to trim the post to which you are responding to just what
supplies context for your remarks, and then insert those remarks such that
a dialogue is formed. Reads much easier that way, and people are much more
likely to want to read what you post.

Further, your remarks are pertinent only to the rec.photo.equipment.35mm
news group. Cross-posting to rec.photo.digital is meaningless and
expecting responses there is even more so, as the [SI] does not exist
there. In sum, Usenet comportment is very similar to what is required in
real life: make an effort to learn what is proper, appropriate and
effective, lest you have negative experiences and loss of reputation.

Incidentally, most readers here are knowledgeable enough of Usenet usage
that the Shoot-In is generally well understood.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Bill Tallman
--
Registered Linux User: #221586
Mdk-9.0 and IceWM
Gkrellm still watches over me...

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Lapin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"William D. Tallman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Robert Meyers wrote:
>
> > Juat an aside. I have been hearing about this shoot in and that... for
> > months now. I have yet to hear anything about what it was, and how you
> > would participate.
> >
> > I know I am not alone in this. So, alive or dead, general information may
> > improve the participation.
> >
> > Robert Meyers

>


[much rudeness snipped]

>The
> approved way is to trim the post to which you are responding to just what
> supplies context for your remarks, and then insert those remarks such that
> a dialogue is formed. Reads much easier that way, and people are much more
> likely to want to read what you post.
>
> Incidentally, most readers here are knowledgeable enough of Usenet usage
> that the Shoot-In is generally well understood.
>
> Good luck, and hope that helps,
>
> Bill Tallman



And you should learn that the best way to educate new users is to gently
guide them with kind advice and helpful answers, not hit them over the head
with a 2x4! A simple link to any Netiquette FAQ link would help. That
means you, yes you, do a little hunting with your favourite search engine
and then post the links in the response.

Incidentally, I've been around Usenet for almost 20 years but only a couple
of months in rec.photo.digital. So I also don't know what you mean by a
"Shoot-In" and nor should I be expected to. The best way to answer his
question is to, well, answer it! By deliberately not answering his question
you in effect shut him out.

Even if a given poster might be a troll, the benefit of the doubt must be
given until proven otherwise.


To Robert, if you are still here:

Here are a couple of links to try for learning how best to use news groups:

http://http4u.com/internet/chat.htm
and
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/primer/part1/

I hope this helps.

--
Tim Lapin
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan D-W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004

"William D. Tallman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Hmmm... haven't much experience with computers, then? You might try
> clicking on URL links for information. Those are email or internet
> addresses that are underlined, and usually show up in blue. What happens
> is that your browser will open that link and display the addressed page.
> Lot's of information available that way, you know.
>


You patronising mule.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Meyers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004

"William D. Tallman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hmmm... haven't much experience with computers, then? You might try
> clicking on URL links for information. Those are email or internet
> addresses that are underlined, and usually show up in blue. What happens
> is that your browser will open that link and display the addressed page.
> Lot's of information available that way, you know.


Quite a bit actually. However whenever I have searched I have not come up
with anything pertinant. I spoke to another user who had also had not seen
anything pertinant in the last four months at least to rules for setting up
etc. to join. Now, I have more net expirence than most. However, if I have
not seen anything, then I can be sure that countless others had not either.
As such I figured that I should post that as an aside to attempt to get
someone to post the pertinant information. Not a "this is what you look for
in a post". There is no way some of the people I have spoken with in the
past months would even know to look for that... and I had pointed a few
people to this news group. I was forced to explain what a Usenet group was.
As such, there needed to be (and kinda still needs to be) an actual faq
posted on the Shoot In. Instead of just links. So people can get the
information to go per say (d/l news and read later).

> Also, you might be interested to learn that including the post to which
> you've responded below your post is called top posting, and is considered
> a) bad manners, as it forces the reader to scroll down to see context, and
> then back up to continue to read your post, and b) also the sign of a
> clueless (oblivious and uncaring) newbie.


Wow. What a change in view. For over a decade it was considered bad
manners to post at the bottom. I have been using fido.net style posting for
forever. Note that tradditionaly when top posting, I will trim a long post
so people will always get what I am refering to in the same screen.
Especially with the way most are leading to run on posts. This was always
considered rude (did you ever get a message about how much it costs to send
your post?). Early usenet was the same. You were on a telnet connection
and frequently had drops. You posted to the top so your message would more
likely get through.

> Further, your remarks are pertinent only to the rec.photo.equipment.35mm
> news group. Cross-posting to rec.photo.digital is meaningless and
> expecting responses there is even more so, as the [SI] does not exist
> there. In sum, Usenet comportment is very similar to what is required in
> real life: make an effort to learn what is proper, appropriate and
> effective, lest you have negative experiences and loss of reputation.


Now here I made a blatent mistake. I had not noted the crosspost and did a
simple reply. Apologies to anyone irritated by that error.

> Incidentally, most readers here are knowledgeable enough of Usenet usage
> that the Shoot-In is generally well understood.


Bill, in all truth when the view is taken that most users know how to do
something, you quite frequently doom those too afraid to ask to never
knowing. I deal in tech support every day (I own a very small ISP). In the
end I have had so many problems with customer service assuming things that
you would not believe users did not understand. In general I figure someone
who may be able to find out (given time), should really just ask to get
peoples attention to the issue at hand. Also note, that the other user who
had not seen anything on how to participate in the Shoot IN has been on
Usenet since the early nineties (pre-web).

I appreciate your reply. I just hope someone will take the time to actually
post a faq on it for people to get involved that may have an interest and
not the knowledge to get involved.

Robert Meyers


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raise event when leaving Textbox tshad ASP .Net 2 02-04-2005 12:10 AM
Determine if an image has focus after leaving another image. Thomasa Gregg ASP .Net 1 06-28-2004 04:31 PM
Leaving a Page brian ASP .Net 4 06-12-2004 01:12 AM
Create cookie in what event when leaving page? Rich ASP .Net 1 02-20-2004 11:13 PM
Module to notify application when leaving site? Kevin Burton ASP .Net 2 11-01-2003 07:52 PM



Advertisments