Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for good&cheap camera shops in Chicago area

Looking for good&cheap camera shops in Chicago area

NR

Situation:
Old camera stolen. Want new camera. Canon 300d fits the bill [1].
My SO flying to States/Chigago in a few weeks (I'm situated in
Europe). In need of addresses of good camera shops in the
Chigaco (preferably downtown) area.

And now the longwinded version:

Due to my old camera being socialized by parties unknown
wearing motorcycle helmets and leaving the scene on a smoking
scooter I'm in the process of trying to get an economical
replacement. Incidentally, my SO is flying to the States
soon(ish) which shoppingwise would inflict a discount of
30% or so compared to local prices.

So, looking for a reputable camera shops in Chicago area
where they are not trying to rip off unsuspecting customers
(i.e. My SO. She'll have written orders but you never know.)
Or any other camera outlet with reasonable selection and prices.

She might have a car and then again, maybe not, so downtown area
is preferred. As I do not have a map of Chicago or any knowledge
of the city, exact address(es) are best. Maybe even a website?

I'm not looking for the cheapest deal, just something where the
prices are ok, and if needed, she can still return/exchange the
camera if it turns out to be defective. Without restocking fees
or any such.

Plan to get the following

- Canon 300D (Digital Rebel (ridiculous name IMHO, this is not a motorbike))
Kit lens to go with above (i.e. the $999 package)
- EF 50/F1.8 ($70ish)
- 256 or so 12x compact flash ($60ish)
- UV filters for the lenses, Hoya multicoated or such... ($20ish each)

....provided that they have stock. Places where the prices would
be around the ones mentioned above. Otherwise she'd have to start
shopping around and that would dramatically decrease the time
she'd like to spend shopping for shoes and other important items.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who took time to read
this far and perchance is able to help me in my quest.

- NR

post scriptum: No valid reply email address, so plese post to NG.

[1] Or maybe not, but that's _my_ problem

RSW

The Digital Rebel Kit you can always find at a Walmart, Target, Sears, etc.
They are not difficult to find and it's a boxed kit, so even the most
nit-witted employees of the department stores will have a hard time screwing
it up.

"NR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:400d33af$0$1118$(E-Mail Removed) t.net...
> Situation:
> Old camera stolen. Want new camera. Canon 300d fits the bill [1].
> My SO flying to States/Chigago in a few weeks (I'm situated in
> Europe). In need of addresses of good camera shops in the
> Chigaco (preferably downtown) area.
>
> And now the longwinded version:
>
> Due to my old camera being socialized by parties unknown
> wearing motorcycle helmets and leaving the scene on a smoking
> scooter I'm in the process of trying to get an economical
> replacement. Incidentally, my SO is flying to the States
> soon(ish) which shoppingwise would inflict a discount of
> 30% or so compared to local prices.
>
> So, looking for a reputable camera shops in Chicago area
> where they are not trying to rip off unsuspecting customers
> (i.e. My SO. She'll have written orders but you never know.)
> Or any other camera outlet with reasonable selection and prices.
>
> She might have a car and then again, maybe not, so downtown area
> is preferred. As I do not have a map of Chicago or any knowledge
> of the city, exact address(es) are best. Maybe even a website?
>
> I'm not looking for the cheapest deal, just something where the
> prices are ok, and if needed, she can still return/exchange the
> camera if it turns out to be defective. Without restocking fees
> or any such.
>
> Plan to get the following
>
> - Canon 300D (Digital Rebel (ridiculous name IMHO, this is not a

motorbike))
> Kit lens to go with above (i.e. the $999 package)
> - EF 50/F1.8 ($70ish)
> - 256 or so 12x compact flash ($60ish)
> - UV filters for the lenses, Hoya multicoated or such... ($20ish each)
>
> ...provided that they have stock. Places where the prices would
> be around the ones mentioned above. Otherwise she'd have to start
> shopping around and that would dramatically decrease the time
> she'd like to spend shopping for shoes and other important items.
>
> My heartfelt thanks to everyone who took time to read
> this far and perchance is able to help me in my quest.
>
> - NR
>
> post scriptum: No valid reply email address, so plese post to NG.
>
> [1] Or maybe not, but that's _my_ problem

Robert Feinman

In article <400d33af$0$1118$(E-Mail Removed) t>,
> Situation:
> Old camera stolen. Want new camera. Canon 300d fits the bill [1].
> My SO flying to States/Chigago in a few weeks (I'm situated in
> Europe). In need of addresses of good camera shops in the
> Chigaco (preferably downtown) area.
>
> And now the longwinded version:
>
> Due to my old camera being socialized by parties unknown
> wearing motorcycle helmets and leaving the scene on a smoking
> scooter I'm in the process of trying to get an economical
> replacement. Incidentally, my SO is flying to the States
> soon(ish) which shoppingwise would inflict a discount of
> 30% or so compared to local prices.
>
> So, looking for a reputable camera shops in Chicago area
> where they are not trying to rip off unsuspecting customers
> (i.e. My SO. She'll have written orders but you never know.)
> Or any other camera outlet with reasonable selection and prices.
>
> She might have a car and then again, maybe not, so downtown area
> is preferred. As I do not have a map of Chicago or any knowledge
> of the city, exact address(es) are best. Maybe even a website?
>
> I'm not looking for the cheapest deal, just something where the
> prices are ok, and if needed, she can still return/exchange the
> camera if it turns out to be defective. Without restocking fees
> or any such.
>
> Plan to get the following
>
> - Canon 300D (Digital Rebel (ridiculous name IMHO, this is not a motorbike))
> Kit lens to go with above (i.e. the $999 package)
> - EF 50/F1.8 ($70ish)
> - 256 or so 12x compact flash ($60ish)
> - UV filters for the lenses, Hoya multicoated or such... ($20ish each)
>
> ...provided that they have stock. Places where the prices would
> be around the ones mentioned above. Otherwise she'd have to start
> shopping around and that would dramatically decrease the time
> she'd like to spend shopping for shoes and other important items.
>
> My heartfelt thanks to everyone who took time to read
> this far and perchance is able to help me in my quest.
>
> - NR
>
> post scriptum: No valid reply email address, so plese post to NG.
>
> [1] Or maybe not, but that's _my_ problem

Camera stores in Chicago are good, but they're not cheap.
--
Robert D Feinman
(E-Mail Removed)

Dennis O'Connor

Central Camera.... absolutely honest... Cheap is relative, especially if
the cheapest turns out to be a bad bargain after you leave the USA.. Your
euros are up enough so that getting the last 5% off doesn't mean much...
Deal with Central...
denny

> > Situation:
> > Old camera stolen. Want new camera. Canon 300d fits the bill [1].
> > My SO flying to States/Chigago in a few weeks

Frank Pittel

Here in the Chicago area you've got some quality to choose from. While they
don't compete with Adorama or B&H for price they have knowledgable staff
that will spend as much time with you as you need.

The three big names here in Chicago in the order of my personal preference is:
Calumet
Central Camera
Helix

There is another mom and pop shop in the western 'burbs called PJ's camera.
They are in a strip mall on Roosevelt road a few blocks west of rt53.

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm NR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]

(E-Mail Removed)