Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Studio lighting kit recommendations?

Studio lighting kit recommendations?

Carl Miller

On January 20 2004, "Clicky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm tired of having to do portraits using just my on-camera 550EX.
> Can anyone recommend a worthwhile portable studio lighting kit for a
> cheapskate amateur?
>
> I was thinking about either #SPSTARTKS from Digital Foto:
> http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/produ...4586082.asp#fs
>
> Includes:
> o 1 SPs920 Strobe.
> o 1 SPS100 Strobe.
> o 2 SPRSTAND Steel 6' lightstands.
> o 1 SPBRACK Flash Bracket.
> o 1 SPBRK920 Flash Bracket.
> o 1 SPUMB33B 33" White Umbrella.
> o Cardboard Carry-all case.
>

> Or, for about $200 more, the # SPPORTKR from B&H:
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/...SPPRK/REG/2252
>
> Includes:
>
> o 2- 920MDLVP Strobes
> o 1- SP100 Strobe
> o 1 each: SPHOLD AC Socket and Cord, SPCLAMP AC Socket and Clamp
> o 2- SPBRACK Swivel Brackets
> o 1- SP-Snoot for SP-100
> o 2- Steel Lightstands
> o 1- SPBARN100 Barndoors
> o 2- 33" White Umbrellas
> o Corrugated storage case
>
> Or should I spend big bucks and build up my own kit, buying more
> 550EXs?

Those are some rather cheap strobe sets. I'd be looking at something
from www.alienbees.com or www.novatron.com. I'm trying to decide between
the two myself. Currently I'm leaning towards the Alien Bees. (I really
like their batter pack that makes the whole setup portable.)

--
Carl Miller
---------

Carl Miller

On January 20 2004, "Robert Brodie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Another vote for Alien Bees.
> I am professional photographer and along with my other expensive
> lighting equipment, I use Alien Bees on location.
> Light, versatile, and pretty consistent light output and color
> temperature and durable. Made in the US and has one of the best
> service departments in the industry. Stay away from Britek too.

Robert, what's your "other expensive" equipment? I'm trying to decided
between a set of strobes from Alien Bees or from Novatron. Just curious
if you're using Novatrons too, and which you'd recommend? I'm leaning a
little towards the Bees at the moment. (Price is a little better plus
they give a 10% Student Discount.)

Thanks!

--
Carl Miller
(E-Mail Removed)

Randall Ainsworth

> Robert, what's your "other expensive" equipment? I'm trying to decided
> between a set of strobes from Alien Bees or from Novatron. Just curious
> if you're using Novatrons too, and which you'd recommend? I'm leaning a
> little towards the Bees at the moment. (Price is a little better plus
> they give a 10% Student Discount.)

I don't know about now, but Novatron used to be pretty crappy stuff.
Years ago there were guys getting shocked with 'em. I've always used
Photogenic.

Crownfield

Carl Miller wrote:

> On January 20 2004, "Robert Brodie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > Another vote for Alien Bees.
> > I am professional photographer and along with my other expensive
> > lighting equipment, I use Alien Bees on location.
> > Light, versatile, and pretty consistent light output and color
> > temperature and durable. Made in the US and has one of the best
> > service departments in the industry. Stay away from Britek too.

> Robert, what's your "other expensive" equipment? I'm trying to decided
> between a set of strobes from Alien Bees or from Novatron. Just curious
> if you're using Novatrons too, and which you'd recommend? I'm leaning a
> little towards the Bees at the moment. (Price is a little better plus
> they give a 10% Student Discount.)

I have been looking at them for a while.

perhaps more interesting is that for each light you buy,
you get 5% off all the accessories.
4 heads, 20%.
you get 60 days to return if you are not satisfied.

> Thanks!
>
> --
> Carl Miller
> (E-Mail Removed)
> ---------
> Using: OUI 1.9.2 Pro from http://www.ouisoft.com

Patrick L.

"Wdflannery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone supply the formula governing .... strobe power in w/s,

distance,
> film speed, and f-stop.... to give an idea of how powerful a strobe is

needed
> to shoot f8 at 6ft. using ASA 100 film, for example?

Alienbees B800s will do it. The B400s will probably do it, as well. They
have charts on their output.

Patrick

Patrick L.

"Clicky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just read that I can't use my DRebel with an optical-strobe-fired
> monolight because of the E-TTL pre-flash. I suppose that means that I'll
> have to build my own lighting kit out of 550EXs?

With an adaptor for a PC chord to the strobe, that should disable the
preflash. Another nice thing about AlienBees, they have low trigger
voltage, won't harm digital cameras.

Patrick

Patrick L.

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> "Clicky" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > I have just read that I can't use my DRebel with an optical-strobe-fired
> > monolight because of the E-TTL pre-flash. I suppose that means that

I'll
> > have to build my own lighting kit out of 550EXs?

> Either use a small flash on the DRebel to trigger the strobe, or use a

hot-shoe
> to pc-sync converter. In either case you need to make sure the flash or
> monolight don't put excessive amounts of voltage across the terminal and

burn
> out your camera.

AlienBees have a low trigger voltage, won't harm digital cameras.

Patrick

Carl Miller

On January 22 2004, "Patrick L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Alienbees B800s will do it. The B400s will probably do it, as well.
> They have charts on their output.
>

> Patrick

Hey Patrick, are you and Alien Bees Salesman?

(I'm only asking 'cause I'm thinking of buying some Aline Bees.)

Clicky

Okay, so you've all convinced me that if I'm going to buy a portable studio
lighting kit that I shouldn't buy the cheapest.

But is the next level above cheapest okay? Novatron's 240 Fun Kit has
caught my eye. It includes:

1- V240D 240ws Power Pack, 1- 2100C Std. Flashhead, 1- 2140-3-Way Flashhead,
2- 7032W 32" White Umbrellas, 2- 5008 8' Light Stands, 1- 15' Sync Cord, 1-
6002 Carry Case, 1- AC Cord

For under $625 at Adorama.

But I've been very disappointed with the cheap Novatron FM02 strobe meter I
bought. It won't work at all with my thrystor strobes. Would I be equally
disappointed in their Fun Kit?

Clicky

I'm itching to buy a light kit. I'm sitting here, hot credit card in hand,
ready to buy a Novatron's 240 Fun Kit, but first I want someone to share
their own experience with Novatron. As I wrote before, I found Novatron's
low-end flash meter to be stinko. Is the rest of their stuff worthwhile?

The 240 uses a single power supply for two (or I think maybe up to three)
lights, instead of using independant monolights. Is that good or bad?

The set-up looks powerful to me, but Novatron describes it as suitable for
classroom photographs or passport photos. Can't it do more than headshots?