Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printers

Printers

CBM

Now we have great ways to take pictures, and looking at them on our
monitors, now what printers do a great job of it. I have a good ink jet, but
at times it will print with streaks going across the picture until finally
doing a deep clean again, and putting up with ink refills I am thinking to
going with the dye subs, I have been looking at the Hi Ti 640PS printer and
I am very close in buying one when I ran across the option to go with the
the Olympus P-10 or P440 Digital Photo Printer. I like the 640PS looks and
track record, and cost to print, but the Olympus P440 says it can do3x5, 4x6
Or 8x 10s. Has any one tried the Olympus line of printers out as I have not
seen any reviews on them. printers.

Jeff Shoaf

"CBM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:drWOb.85295$sv6.201992@attbi_s52:

> Now we have great ways to take pictures, and looking at them on our
> monitors, now what printers do a great job of it. I have a good ink
> jet, but at times it will print with streaks going across the picture
> until finally doing a deep clean again, and putting up with ink
> refills I am thinking to going with the dye subs, I have been looking
> at the Hi Ti 640PS printer and I am very close in buying one when I
> ran across the option to go with the the Olympus P-10 or P440 Digital
> Photo Printer. I like the 640PS looks and track record, and cost to
> print, but the Olympus P440 says it can do3x5, 4x6 Or 8x 10s. Has any
> one tried the Olympus line of printers out as I have not seen any
> reviews on them. printers.

No comments on the Olympus, but Hi-Ti is supposed to be coming out with a
new dye-sub that will handle 4X6, 5X7, and 6X8's sometime during the 1st
quarter of 2004. I haven't seen any info on pricing for the printer or the
consumables, but they say it'll be the most economical dye-sub on the
market. Here's a link to the press release:

http://www.hitouchimaging.com/news_d...?lid=130&nid=9

Mark Herring

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:43:05 GMT, "CBM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Now we have great ways to take pictures, and looking at them on our
>monitors, now what printers do a great job of it. I have a good ink jet, but
>at times it will print with streaks going across the picture until finally
>doing a deep clean again, and putting up with ink refills I am thinking to
>going with the dye subs, I have been looking at the Hi Ti 640PS printer and
>I am very close in buying one when I ran across the option to go with the
>the Olympus P-10 or P440 Digital Photo Printer. I like the 640PS looks and
>track record, and cost to print, but the Olympus P440 says it can do3x5, 4x6
>Or 8x 10s. Has any one tried the Olympus line of printers out as I have not
>seen any reviews on them. printers.

Personally, I would stay with ink-jet. The technology has become very
advanced. Look at some print samples of the newest HP, Canon, and
Epson printers with 6-8 colors.

Here are few things that you cannot do with dye sub:

Use 3rd party archival pigment ink--I suspect dye sub may be better
than inkjet DYE, but pigment ink is going to be better still.

Use a wide variety of papers
Use a continuous feed ink system
Roll paper
large prints