Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > WHY?!? Why am i thinking i need an SLR, and thinking of going 35mm?

WHY?!? Why am i thinking i need an SLR, and thinking of going 35mm?

Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

OK. This might sound stupid.

I have a sony dsc F717, and I use it quite a bit. I like the camera. I have
owned it since last April, and so I am going on a year with it.

When I bought it, I thought "good, now I wont have to buy anything else for
some time", but now I am starting to feel as though it is really not doing
the job for me I would like.
I have thought of this rationally, there are a few features that I can
simply love about the camera, such as its awesome macro capabilities, and
nice zeiss lens (whether it is just the coating or not, its a nice lens).

But there are a few things that I don't like, one of them being the lack of
a changeable lens, a fixed 5x zoom, and a relatively tame "wide" angle zoom
out.

Added to that, I still am paying this sucker off. I got it before the price
started to plummet, and I owe about 80% on it still.

I don't really know if I would benefit very much from moving to the digital
rebel right now. That isn't to say that I am not interested in DSLR, quite
the opposite, I very much AM interested in it, but for now I feel for some
reason like I would do well to explore SLR in general, and that puzzles me.
I mean, there are all the added costs of developing, scanning (I don't have
a good scanner, I would get photo cd's made), and buying film.
I don't want to give up on digital, just to carry both camera's when I go
out, and use both of them for different things.

I know that when I do go DSLR, I will go canon. It is a personal preference
that I have formed.
As such, I have been looking at getting myself a decent used canon which
takes EF mount lenses (so I can use the lenses on whatever DSLR I get in the
next few years).

WHAT ARE GOOD OPTIONS FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME?
I was looking at the EOS Kiss, until I found out it was just a variation on
the rebel, which as I understand it is a crippled camera for consumers.
What about the late 1980's type cameras? The EOS-850 for instance?

I don't want to spend much more than $200 Canadian for a used camera, but as
I understand it, a good camera from the late 1980s that takes current lens
technology will do me as well as a brand new ELAN 7 will, yes?

What do you think. Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris Brown

In article <HsFOb.35145$n44.842@clgrps13>,
Steven C \(Doktersteve\) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>WHAT ARE GOOD OPTIONS FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME?
>I was looking at the EOS Kiss, until I found out it was just a variation on
>the rebel, which as I understand it is a crippled camera for consumers.
>What about the late 1980's type cameras? The EOS-850 for instance?

A friend of mine recently picked up a good deal on a secondhand EOS 50E. I
see quite a few EOS 50 and EOS 10s for sale in the "used equipment" section
of the photography shops I'm familliar with, and you could do a lot worse
than either of those.

Chris Brown wrote:
> In article <HsFOb.35145$n44.842@clgrps13>,
> Steven C \(Doktersteve\) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>WHAT ARE GOOD OPTIONS FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME?
>>I was looking at the EOS Kiss, until I found out it was just a variation on
>>the rebel, which as I understand it is a crippled camera for consumers.
>>What about the late 1980's type cameras? The EOS-850 for instance?

> A friend of mine recently picked up a good deal on a secondhand EOS 50E. I
> see quite a few EOS 50 and EOS 10s for sale in the "used equipment" section
> of the photography shops I'm familliar with, and you could do a lot worse
> than either of those.

Be wary of older EOS-mount lenses, canon, sigma or other 3rd party.
They may not work on newer EOS cameras (and DSLRs) without
being "rechipped." Basically a firmware upgrade. I have
some sigma and canon lenses from the 1990s that worked
on the elan II and 7, but not on a D60 or 10D. I don't
know what fee canon (sigma, etc) charges for the upgrade.

To answer your other questions, get a used elan, even elan I or II
are great cameras. Try to get only IS lenses. You'll likely
be glad you did and save money in the long run because you won't
be keep upgrading. So buy the best lens you can afford as a
good lens will last a long time, unlike camera bodies.

Roger
Photos, digital info at:
http://www.clarkvision.com

Ron Hunter

Steven C (Doktersteve) wrote:

> OK. This might sound stupid.
>
> I have a sony dsc F717, and I use it quite a bit. I like the camera. I have
> owned it since last April, and so I am going on a year with it.
>
> When I bought it, I thought "good, now I wont have to buy anything else for
> some time", but now I am starting to feel as though it is really not doing
> the job for me I would like.
> I have thought of this rationally, there are a few features that I can
> simply love about the camera, such as its awesome macro capabilities, and
> nice zeiss lens (whether it is just the coating or not, its a nice lens).
>
> But there are a few things that I don't like, one of them being the lack of
> a changeable lens, a fixed 5x zoom, and a relatively tame "wide" angle zoom
> out.
>
> Added to that, I still am paying this sucker off. I got it before the price
> started to plummet, and I owe about 80% on it still.
>
> I don't really know if I would benefit very much from moving to the digital
> rebel right now. That isn't to say that I am not interested in DSLR, quite
> the opposite, I very much AM interested in it, but for now I feel for some
> reason like I would do well to explore SLR in general, and that puzzles me.
> I mean, there are all the added costs of developing, scanning (I don't have
> a good scanner, I would get photo cd's made), and buying film.
> I don't want to give up on digital, just to carry both camera's when I go
> out, and use both of them for different things.
>
> I know that when I do go DSLR, I will go canon. It is a personal preference
> that I have formed.
> As such, I have been looking at getting myself a decent used canon which
> takes EF mount lenses (so I can use the lenses on whatever DSLR I get in the
> next few years).
>
> WHAT ARE GOOD OPTIONS FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME?
> I was looking at the EOS Kiss, until I found out it was just a variation on
> the rebel, which as I understand it is a crippled camera for consumers.
> What about the late 1980's type cameras? The EOS-850 for instance?
>
> I don't want to spend much more than $200 Canadian for a used camera, but as
> I understand it, a good camera from the late 1980s that takes current lens
> technology will do me as well as a brand new ELAN 7 will, yes?
>
> What do you think. Thanks for any suggestions.

It seems, that needs aside, you really WANT a film SLR camera. Yes, you
get changeable lenses, at considerable expense, and through the lens
viewing (which you ALREADY have on the F717). But if what you want it a
film SLR, go for it! You might want to keep the digital also.

Robert E. Williams

"Steven C (Doktersteve)" wrote:

> OK. This might sound stupid.
>
> I have a sony dsc F717, and I use it quite a bit. I like the camera. I have
> owned it since last April, and so I am going on a year with it.
>
> When I bought it, I thought "good, now I wont have to buy anything else for
> some time", but now I am starting to feel as though it is really not doing
> the job for me I would like.
> I have thought of this rationally, there are a few features that I can
> simply love about the camera, such as its awesome macro capabilities, and
> nice zeiss lens (whether it is just the coating or not, its a nice lens).
>
> But there are a few things that I don't like, one of them being the lack of
> a changeable lens, a fixed 5x zoom, and a relatively tame "wide" angle zoom
> out.
>
> Added to that, I still am paying this sucker off. I got it before the price
> started to plummet, and I owe about 80% on it still.
>
> I don't really know if I would benefit very much from moving to the digital
> rebel right now. That isn't to say that I am not interested in DSLR, quite
> the opposite, I very much AM interested in it, but for now I feel for some
> reason like I would do well to explore SLR in general, and that puzzles me.
> I mean, there are all the added costs of developing, scanning (I don't have
> a good scanner, I would get photo cd's made), and buying film.
> I don't want to give up on digital, just to carry both camera's when I go
> out, and use both of them for different things.
>
> I know that when I do go DSLR, I will go canon. It is a personal preference
> that I have formed.
> As such, I have been looking at getting myself a decent used canon which
> takes EF mount lenses (so I can use the lenses on whatever DSLR I get in the
> next few years).
>
> WHAT ARE GOOD OPTIONS FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME?
> I was looking at the EOS Kiss, until I found out it was just a variation on
> the rebel, which as I understand it is a crippled camera for consumers.
> What about the late 1980's type cameras? The EOS-850 for instance?
>
> I don't want to spend much more than $200 Canadian for a used camera, but as
> I understand it, a good camera from the late 1980s that takes current lens
> technology will do me as well as a brand new ELAN 7 will, yes?
>
> What do you think. Thanks for any suggestions.

Why do you feel limited with a Sony 717. It is one helluva camera.
What would you do with the Film SLR that you can't do with the 717?
Of course, if you just WANT a film SLR, Hell! Just get one. You don't have to
justify the logic to yourself or anyone else.
If it will make you happy and give you pleasure, get one and have fun playing
with it. That's what life is all about.
Bob Williams

street shooter

"Steven C \(Doktersteve\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<HsFOb.35145$n44.842@clgrps13>...
> OK. This might sound stupid.
>
> I have a sony dsc F717, and I use it quite a bit. I like the camera. I have
> owned it since last April, and so I am going on a year with it.
>
> When I bought it, I thought "good, now I wont have to buy anything else for
> some time", but now I am starting to feel as though it is really not doing
> the job for me I would like.
> I have thought of this rationally, there are a few features that I can
> simply love about the camera, such as its awesome macro capabilities, and
> nice zeiss lens (whether it is just the coating or not, its a nice lens).
>
> But there are a few things that I don't like, one of them being the lack of
> a changeable lens, a fixed 5x zoom, and a relatively tame "wide" angle zoom
> out.
>
> Added to that, I still am paying this sucker off. I got it before the price
> started to plummet, and I owe about 80% on it still.
>
> I don't really know if I would benefit very much from moving to the digital
> rebel right now. That isn't to say that I am not interested in DSLR, quite
> the opposite, I very much AM interested in it, but for now I feel for some
> reason like I would do well to explore SLR in general, and that puzzles me.
> I mean, there are all the added costs of developing, scanning (I don't have
> a good scanner, I would get photo cd's made), and buying film.
> I don't want to give up on digital, just to carry both camera's when I go
> out, and use both of them for different things.
>
> I know that when I do go DSLR, I will go canon. It is a personal preference
> that I have formed.
> As such, I have been looking at getting myself a decent used canon which
> takes EF mount lenses (so I can use the lenses on whatever DSLR I get in the
> next few years).
>
> WHAT ARE GOOD OPTIONS FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME?
> I was looking at the EOS Kiss, until I found out it was just a variation on
> the rebel, which as I understand it is a crippled camera for consumers.
> What about the late 1980's type cameras? The EOS-850 for instance?

The EOS 850 is just as crippled in that it lacks a Quick Control Dial
(thumb wheel on the back of the camera) to change the aperture. Same
with the EOS 600 series. So, in that respect you'd be better off
spending the extra money on a new Rebel.

> I don't want to spend much more than $200 Canadian for a used camera, but as
> I understand it, a good camera from the late 1980s that takes current lens
> technology will do me as well as a brand new ELAN 7 will, yes?

Depends on if you do much in manual mode. This is where the QCD
really shines. Without the QCD you need to press a button behind the
lens mount and turn the exposure dial to change the aperture. Turning
only the exposure dial will change the shutter speed in manual mode.

> What do you think. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you shoot in Program and Priority modes most of the time any EOS
will be fine. If you use manual mode even semi-frequently get one
with a QCD.

Michael

Eatmorepies

> WHAT ARE GOOD OPTIONS FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME?
> I was looking at the EOS Kiss, until I found out it was just a variation

on
> the rebel, which as I understand it is a crippled camera for consumers.
> What about the late 1980's type cameras? The EOS-850 for instance?

I'm in the UK and camera shops advertise lots of second hand EOS cameras. My
600 series cost me 400 in 1989, they sell them in mint condition for 120 -
it's a superb camera. In this country Minolta advertise brand new SLRs with
2 zooms for 250; I don't know what they're like but I do know I wouldn't be
without my EOS, it can do so much more than any digital I've yet to use.
Play fair though, I haven't used a digital SLR. As I'm not going to pay
1000 to get one I haven't bothered doing any research on what they are
capable of. I shall wait for DSLR to be closer in price to film SLRs before
I replace the EOS.

John

Drifter

>OK. This might sound stupid.
>
>I have a sony dsc F717, and I use it quite a bit. I like the camera. I have
>owned it since last April, and so I am going on a year with it.
>
>When I bought it, I thought "good, now I wont have to buy anything else for
>some time", but now I am starting to feel as though it is really not doing
>the job for me I would like.
>I have thought of this rationally, there are a few features that I can
>simply love about the camera, such as its awesome macro capabilities, and
>nice zeiss lens (whether it is just the coating or not, its a nice lens).
>
>But there are a few things that I don't like, one of them being the lack of
>a changeable lens, a fixed 5x zoom, and a relatively tame "wide" angle zoom
>out.
>
>Added to that, I still am paying this sucker off. I got it before the price
>started to plummet, and I owe about 80% on it still.

---->big snip<----

Ummm, look I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you but maybe you
need a small reality check. You've had this camera for a year and not
only haven't you paid it off but you owe 80% (so you've paid what,
$250 on a roughly $1200 camera if I remember right?).

Honestly you should probably take a serious look at the way you run
your finances before you go and spend even more money on another
camera (and the lenses).

Drifter

Chris Brown

In article <buhcqq$i0114$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
Eatmorepies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Play fair though, I haven't used a digital SLR. As I'm not going to pay
>1000 to get one I haven't bothered doing any research on what they are
>capable of.

You don't need to - a 300D can be picked up new for under 800 quid if you
shop around.

Ben Blaukopf

"Chris Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <buhcqq$i0114$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> Eatmorepies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Play fair though, I haven't used a digital SLR. As I'm not going to pay
> >1000 to get one I haven't bothered doing any research on what they are
> >capable of.

> You don't need to - a 300D can be picked up new for under 800 quid if you
> shop around.

Doesn't take much shopping either. Amazon have the 300 with kit lens for
800.