Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Crop to user chosen pixel size

Crop to user chosen pixel size

Morgan Ohlson

Are there any programs that can define both length and hight exactly to
manually given amounts.

I guess this could be done so that the user get a crop frame of the given
size which can be moved around on the picture to place it best in the image.

Many programs can resize pictures, but then the picture is slightly
stretched and /or compressed in some direction.

Morgan O.

dylan

Use Copy and then Paste new image in PSP, will show crop size at bottom of
screen as you set up area to copy. When resizing tell the software to keep
maintain aspect ratio then it won't stretch or compress..

"Morgan Ohlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GzrOb.45141$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any programs that can define both length and hight exactly to
> manually given amounts.
>
> I guess this could be done so that the user get a crop frame of the given
> size which can be moved around on the picture to place it best in the

image.

> Many programs can resize pictures, but then the picture is slightly
> stretched and /or compressed in some direction.
>

> Morgan O.

Trev

"Morgan Ohlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GzrOb.45141$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any programs that can define both length and hight exactly

> manually given amounts.
>
> I guess this could be done so that the user get a crop frame of the

given
> size which can be moved around on the picture to place it best in the

image.

> Many programs can resize pictures, but then the picture is slightly
> stretched and /or compressed in some direction.
>

> Morgan O.

You are resizing to a different aspect ratio then. Any medium to good
editor can do it providing you now what your doing. Tell what
application your using and some one will give you the instructions.
Popular print sizes such as 6 ox 4 or 10 ox 8 have different width to
height ratios and even different to digital cameras and film so you can
not just change to 6x 4 with out cropping a bit of to get the correct
aspect

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:17:08 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "dylan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Use Copy and then Paste new image in PSP, will show crop size at bottom of
>screen as you set up area to copy. When resizing tell the software to keep
>maintain aspect ratio then it won't stretch or compress..

Actually, V 8 of PSP directly supports setting pixel sizes of the crop. For
V7 I would recommend the free Fotocrop add-in, IICR the name. I ditched it
after upgrading to V8. Current version is 8.1 fwiw.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Niels J. Larsen

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:35:50 GMT, "Morgan Ohlson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are there any programs that can define both length and hight exactly to
>manually given amounts.

In Photoshop CS (I'm sure it's the same in the earlier versions), you
can use the Marquee tool to select the crop you want (instead of using
the crop tool.
When using the Marquee tool, you can select either specific
height/width settings or an aspect ratio - f.x. 2:3.
Then you can select what you want cropped.

I use this technique when I want crops with 2:3 aspect ratio - they
are perfect for printing.

/Niels

Mark Herring

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are there any programs that can define both length and hight exactly to
>manually given amounts.
>
>I guess this could be done so that the user get a crop frame of the given
>size which can be moved around on the picture to place it best in the image.
>
>Many programs can resize pictures, but then the picture is slightly
>stretched and /or compressed in some direction.
>

>Morgan O.

Photoshop (at least in 6) allows you to set any combo of crop
dimensions and PPI
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".