Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > problem reading disk - Sony Mavica

problem reading disk - Sony Mavica

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)tose says...
> I have a 300. Most of the photos I take aren't irreplaceable, so I might try
> some experimentation. But I've taken dozens and dozens of disks worth of
> pictures, filled the disks up each time, and this is the only disk that's given
> me any trouble. I had noticed that this last batch of disks had a lot of bad
> ones, though. Half of them wouldn't format at all. But the ones that
> formatted didn't give me any trouble. Until now, that is.
>
> I'm inclined to never buy Memorex CDs again, but they're the only mini CDs sold
> around here.

Same on all counts. If I can fnd the 3" disks at all they are usually
Memorex cdrw, but I did find a couple of 5 packs of Imation cdr at the
local Radio Shack so I'll givethem a try.

The Memorex cdrw I have were 10 for $10, so if I get more than one use
from them they are a bargain.

Im hoping to find a reliable source for cdr blanks at reasonable prices,
but so far Ive been stuck with the "rw" disks.

My only problem with cdr disks is GETTING them!!!

As for the unreliability of rw media, my experience has been similar to
yours with computers, but has been ok with the Mavicam.

I leave the disk in-camera and transfer pictures over USB (if I have the
time) or change disks and transfer LATER with the cable.

I have found that the rw disks are more reliable in-camera than in-
computer drives, so I have taken on a new course of action. I dont
finalize, and use the disks only in the camera. After 2 or three cycles
of "fill-up, transfer, delete" I drop the disks into the re-cycle bin
for plastics and move on.

So far its working quite well with he Maxells.

Im saving the few non re-writables I have for an up-coming photo event.

Larry

LeighMo

>Same on all counts. If I can fnd the 3" disks at all they are usually
>Memorex cdrw, but I did find a couple of 5 packs of Imation cdr at the
>local Radio Shack so I'll givethem a try.

I can't find CD-RW minidiscs here at all. Just CD-Rs. I've gone through
several 50-packs so far, and this disk is the only that's given me trouble.

>I leave the disk in-camera and transfer pictures over USB (if I have the
>time) or change disks and transfer LATER with the cable.

I do that at home, but I had finalized this disk because I wanted look at the
pics on my parents' computer. That was one of the reasons I chose this camera
-- the supposedly universal media.

But I guess I shouldn't complain. I've used this camera at home and at work.
(I bought mine because I loved the ones at the office so much.) The Sony CDRW
disks have been used repeatedly at the office with no problem. Very heavy use.
So maybe it's worth buying them mail order or whatever.

And like I said, I've gone through several 50-packs of Memorex CDR disks
without a problem. I went to Europe last year, with this camera and 50 blank,
formatted disks. With a film camera, I would have worried about the x-ray
machines. Not to mention the expense of developing all that film. With flash
memory, I'd have had to find an Internet cafe, e-mail myself the photos, and
hope I didn't fill up my mailbox. But with the Mavica, I could shoot all the
pics I wanted. No, I didn't actually fill up 50 CDs. More like a dozen. But
it was nice to know I could, if I wanted to.

Leigh