Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sam's club camera return policy

Sam's club camera return policy

JC Dill

Sam's club shows the Digital Rebel for $998, including the lens and a
128 MB CF:

<http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?n=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-23589%3a-32321%3a-32328%3a-32332%3a766623&coe=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0602622381.1 074329420_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccciadckfljgfiicfkfcfkjd goodflg.0>

Costco doesn't seem to be carrying this camera online or in their
stores (although they have the film Rebel in the store). If Costco
carried it, I'd be tempted to buy it thru Costco because they have an
excellent return policy - if anything goes wrong you can return it and
get a refund instead of mucking about with getting it repaired under
warranty. Does Sams have a similar return policy?

jc

Ron Hunter

JC Dill wrote:

> Sam's club shows the Digital Rebel for $998, including the lens and a
> 128 MB CF:
>
> <http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?n=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-23589%3a-32321%3a-32328%3a-32332%3a766623&coe=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0602622381.1 074329420_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccciadckfljgfiicfkfcfkjd goodflg.0>
>
> Costco doesn't seem to be carrying this camera online or in their
> stores (although they have the film Rebel in the store). If Costco
> carried it, I'd be tempted to buy it thru Costco because they have an
> excellent return policy - if anything goes wrong you can return it and
> get a refund instead of mucking about with getting it repaired under
> warranty. Does Sams have a similar return policy?
>
> jc

I have returned things to Sam's, although nothing as expensive as the
DR, but have had no problems at all. Basically they follow the same
Wal-Mart return policy.

philipp

I have returned several items to Sam's since I buy quite a few things
there. The only problem that I have ever had was some opened software -
Had to talk to the manager and did get my money back after all. Good to
deal with - I bought my CF card there cheapest choice around.

JC Dill wrote:
> Sam's club shows the Digital Rebel for $998, including the lens and a
> 128 MB CF:
>
> <http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?n=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-23589%3a-32321%3a-32328%3a-32332%3a766623&coe=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0602622381.1 074329420_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccciadckfljgfiicfkfcfkjd goodflg.0>
>
> Costco doesn't seem to be carrying this camera online or in their
> stores (although they have the film Rebel in the store). If Costco
> carried it, I'd be tempted to buy it thru Costco because they have an
> excellent return policy - if anything goes wrong you can return it and
> get a refund instead of mucking about with getting it repaired under
> warranty. Does Sams have a similar return policy?
>
> jc

Proctor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...%3a-23542%3a-2
3589%3a-32321%3a-32328%3a-32332%3a766623&coe=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0602622381.1
074329420_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccciadckfljgfiicfkfcfkjd goodflg.0>

> Costco doesn't seem to be carrying this camera online or in their
> stores (although they have the film Rebel in the store). If Costco
> carried it, I'd be tempted to buy it thru Costco because they have an
> excellent return policy - if anything goes wrong you can return it and
> get a refund instead of mucking about with getting it repaired under
> warranty. Does Sams have a similar return policy?
>
> jc

A little 'heads up' that BestBuy and other places will gladly accept
returned items for full refund or credit but not so with certain larger
ticket purchases like cameras and TVs and demand a 15% restocking fee. Look
before you leap mom use to say

Proctor

Dean S. Lautermilch«▓║║│

"Proctor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news9fOb.75150$5V2.85505@attbi_s53...

>.
> >

> A little 'heads up' that BestBuy and other places will gladly accept
> returned items for full refund or credit but not so with certain larger
> ticket purchases like cameras and TVs and demand a 15% restocking fee.

Look
> before you leap mom use to say

You can thank the people who will buy a high end camera or camcorder and use
it for a weekend and then return it expecting a full refund for the
restocking fees. I knew someone who did sales conventions and he would buy a
high end laptop, used it for the weekend, and then return it.

Ron Hunter

Dean S. Lautermilch«▓║║│ wrote:
> "Proctor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news9fOb.75150$5V2.85505@attbi_s53...
>
>>.
>>
>> A little 'heads up' that BestBuy and other places will gladly accept
>>returned items for full refund or credit but not so with certain larger
>>ticket purchases like cameras and TVs and demand a 15% restocking fee.

> Look
>
>>before you leap mom use to say
>>

> You can thank the people who will buy a high end camera or camcorder and use
> it for a weekend and then return it expecting a full refund for the
> restocking fees. I knew someone who did sales conventions and he would buy a
> high end laptop, used it for the weekend, and then return it.

I call people like that thieves.

Proctor

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dean S. Lautermilch«▓║║│ wrote:
> > "Proctor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news9fOb.75150$5V2.85505@attbi_s53...
> >
> >>.
> >>
> >> A little 'heads up' that BestBuy and other places will gladly accept
> >>returned items for full refund or credit but not so with certain larger
> >>ticket purchases like cameras and TVs and demand a 15% restocking fee.

> > Look
> >
> >>before you leap mom use to say
> >>

> > You can thank the people who will buy a high end camera or camcorder and

use
> > it for a weekend and then return it expecting a full refund for the
> > restocking fees. I knew someone who did sales conventions and he would

buy a
> > high end laptop, used it for the weekend, and then return it.
> >

> I call people like that thieves.

I am one who agrees to a point. I use this feature at Staples to an honest
means whenever I feel it advantagous. I have spent thousands of my hard
earned underpayed dollars in receint year there any elsewhere. I am in the
process of purchasing a camera and have return one and will return another
until I find the one I like. (If these places had honest knowledgable sales
reps that did not lie selling bogus warentees I would agree across the
board). I will pay their(Staples) extra price for this and have a clear view
it is a good policy for an honest vendor(and consumer). I have taken
advantage of policies like TechHiFi and others have regarding buy back to
upgrade. Keeps me comming back to spend. Full refund applied to future
purchase. There are people that will take advantage of anything if given the
oppertunity and does not make everyone a thief. Virtually what you are
advocating is that "under no terms can an item be returned if not satisfied"
will hurt EVERONE.

Proctor

Roger Halstead

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:18:34 -0500, "Dean S. Lautermilch«▓║║│"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Proctor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news9fOb.75150$5V2.85505@attbi_s53...
>>
>>.
>> >

>> A little 'heads up' that BestBuy and other places will gladly accept
>> returned items for full refund or credit but not so with certain larger
>> ticket purchases like cameras and TVs and demand a 15% restocking fee.

>Look
>> before you leap mom use to say
>>

>You can thank the people who will buy a high end camera or camcorder and use
>it for a weekend and then return it expecting a full refund for the
>restocking fees. I knew someone who did sales conventions and he would buy a
>high end laptop, used it for the weekend, and then return it.

The same for big screen and HDTVs. There would be a big run on them
before a big game. Then the following week would see many returns.
Too many people taking advantage of the system and ruining it for the
rest of us.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Roger Halstead

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:38:59 GMT, "Proctor" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dean S. Lautermilch«▓║║│ wrote:
>> > "Proctor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news9fOb.75150$5V2.85505@attbi_s53...

>> > Look

>> > You can thank the people who will buy a high end camera or camcorder and

>use
>> > it for a weekend and then return it expecting a full refund for the
>> > restocking fees. I knew someone who did sales conventions and he would

>buy a
>> > high end laptop, used it for the weekend, and then return it.
>> >

>> I call people like that thieves.

> I am one who agrees to a point. I use this feature at Staples to an honest
>means whenever I feel it advantagous. I have spent thousands of my hard
>earned underpayed dollars in receint year there any elsewhere. I am in the
>process of purchasing a camera and have return one and will return another
>until I find the one I like. (If these places had honest knowledgable sales

Most of these places really don't have much of a problem with that.
"In the old days" we used to "try out" TV sets with the full knowledge
of the store. They wanted us to be happy with the purchase.

I've had Best Buy tell me that if I didn't like the camera (I
purchased a digicam Hi- I could bring it back and try something
else. I was happy with it and there was no return.

>reps that did not lie selling bogus warentees I would agree across the
>board). I will pay their(Staples) extra price for this and have a clear view
>it is a good policy for an honest vendor(and consumer). I have taken
>advantage of policies like TechHiFi and others have regarding buy back to
>upgrade. Keeps me comming back to spend. Full refund applied to future
>purchase. There are people that will take advantage of anything if given the
>oppertunity and does not make everyone a thief. Virtually what you are
>advocating is that "under no terms can an item be returned if not satisfied"
>will hurt EVERONE.

I didn't see any one advocating anything. The examples were all of
people taking advantage of the system rather than a trial. Many
companies will allow a customer to bring back an item for exchange
within so many days (something like 10 or so "I think") for an equal,
or greater value item at no charge. Last I knew Best Buy was one.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>Proctor

Proctor

"Roger Halstead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:38:59 GMT, "Proctor" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

larger

fee.

and
> >use

would
> >buy a
> >> >

> >> I call people like that thieves.

> > I am one who agrees to a point. I use this feature at Staples to an

honest
> >means whenever I feel it advantagous. I have spent thousands of my hard
> >earned underpayed dollars in receint year there any elsewhere. I am in

the
> >process of purchasing a camera and have return one and will return

another
> >until I find the one I like. (If these places had honest knowledgable

sales

> Most of these places really don't have much of a problem with that.
> "In the old days" we used to "try out" TV sets with the full knowledge
> of the store. They wanted us to be happy with the purchase.
>
> I've had Best Buy tell me that if I didn't like the camera (I
> purchased a digicam Hi- I could bring it back and try something
> else. I was happy with it and there was no return.
>
> >reps that did not lie selling bogus warentees I would agree across the
> >board). I will pay their(Staples) extra price for this and have a clear

view
> >it is a good policy for an honest vendor(and consumer). I have taken
> >advantage of policies like TechHiFi and others have regarding buy back to
> >upgrade. Keeps me comming back to spend. Full refund applied to future
> >purchase. There are people that will take advantage of anything if given

the
> >oppertunity and does not make everyone a thief. Virtually what you are
> >advocating is that "under no terms can an item be returned if not

satisfied"
> >will hurt EVERONE.

> I didn't see any one advocating anything. The examples were all of
> people taking advantage of the system rather than a trial. Many
> companies will allow a customer to bring back an item for exchange
> within so many days (something like 10 or so "I think") for an equal,
> or greater value item at no charge. Last I knew Best Buy was one.

Point taken. I guess I have an axe to grind with BestBuy as I was one the
people that fell for the lies of the $10 an hour sales girl with the pretty
lie. I agree about the theivery and the superbowl TV story but I can't
imagine it reaching an epedmic or even a concernable issue that would be
resoncable for any real action of the part of the industry policies.
Especially with the delivery charges and such. My favorite one though is the
guys that replace the old video cards with the new and return for money
back. Now THAT one needs some fixing.

Regards
proctor