Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Do prices go down much?

Do prices go down much?

Michael

I wasn't in the market for a camera the past few years, so I didn't notice
the price differences of cameras between when they first came out compared
to the end of their life cycle. Does anyone know, for example, what the
price was of the Canon 10D when it first came out compared to what it is
now? How about the D30 and D60 at the beginning/end? Thanks!

Bill Hilton

>From: Michael http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Does anyone know, for example, what the
>price was of the Canon 10D when it first came out compared to what it is
>now? How about the D30 and D60 at the beginning/end?

The 3 Mpix D30 came out in Sept a couple years back (2000?) at $3,000 ... 15
months later in December the price dropped to $2,400 with an extended warranty
and a 1 GB IBM microdrive tossed in (in the US market anyway).

Two months later the D60 was announced at PMA in Feb (2002?), with twice the
pixel count and a $2,200 price. Much better camera for 10% lower price.

Sometime later (within a year) the D60 price dropped to $1,999 and then at PMA
in Feb (2003) the replacement 10D was announced at $1,499 with similar pixel
count but several improvements. Much better camera for 25% lower price.

I'd wait for PMA in Feb

Mark B.

news:Xns9472AE52B694Emichaelmflyahoocom@24.25.9.41 ...
> I wasn't in the market for a camera the past few years, so I didn't notice
> the price differences of cameras between when they first came out compared
> to the end of their life cycle. Does anyone know, for example, what the
> price was of the Canon 10D when it first came out compared to what it is
> now?

$1,500 then, $1,500 now based on pricing from legitimate dealers like B&H.

> How about the D30 and D60 at the beginning/end? Thanks!

The D30 was around $3,000 when first released. Two months before it was
replaced by the D60, the price was $2,200 plus a free 1GB MicroDrive. There
have been no such discounts on the 10D thus far.

Mark

dylan

In the UK 10D was 1300 and is now 1150.