Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon question (new to ng)

Canon question (new to ng)

SeaShel

Hi! I have done the lurking and prerequisite FAQ reading, and am ready to
jump in and ask a question.

I am seeking advice for the purchase of my second digital camera. My first
(and current) is a Toshiba PDR-M61. Although I have found many who do not
like it, I have thought its image quality was better than some other (in its
class and even some newer) cameras I've had the opportunity to use. Kodak
in particular doesn't seem to focus in as sharply.

I am finding more time to delve into my photography (as my kids are now 7
and 4) and would like to look into a better camera. Not just an upgrade of
the point and shoot, but a higher end camera, moving myself to another level
of learning. Since I do not yet have the time, knowledge, or cash to be
involved with a digital SLR, I have decided to go with the digital
"high-end" class of cameras.

I have done much online and offline research, and had narrowed my search to
the Canon G5 and S50, but when I went to a store to see them up close, the
sales rep told me that both models (and much of the whole G and S series)
were slated in their computers for being discontinued! Imagine my shock.

I asked around at some of the review sites and found that this is true at
least for the S50. Canon of course has nothing on their site about this,
but the word I got said that the PMA show in February and the Photokina show
in September will announce around 20 new models from Canon.

I will surely wait now to buy, and see what Canon announces, but my advice
question is, what kinds of things should I weigh in my decision-making, and
is a discontinued model a bad thing to buy? I imagine the prices will drop
for the S50, but so might the support in time. I would like the best camera
I can get for my money of course, but I must admit, I still carry on a
lifestyle that would be better off with a more or less "pocketable" camera
for the time being (which is why I was leaning towards settling for the
S50).

Thanks for any advice and information.

--
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

Michael Geary

SeaShel wrote:
> I am finding more time to delve into my photography (as my kids
> are now 7 and 4) and would like to look into a better camera. Not
> just an upgrade of the point and shoot, but a higher end camera,
> moving myself to another level of learning. Since I do not yet have
> the time, knowledge, or cash to be involved with a digital SLR, I
> have decided to go with the digital "high-end" class of cameras.
>
> I have done much online and offline research, and had narrowed
> my search to the Canon G5 and S50, but when I went to a store to
> see them up close, the sales rep told me that both models (and
> much of the whole G and S series) were slated in their computers
> for being discontinued! Imagine my shock.

*Every* Canon model will be discontinued--eventually. It's really nothing to
worry about. Just find the camera you like, and rest assured that in six
months there will be something newer and better.

> I asked around at some of the review sites and found that this is
> true at least for the S50. Canon of course has nothing on their site
> about this, but the word I got said that the PMA show in February
> and the Photokina show in September will announce around 20
> new models from Canon.
>
> I will surely wait now to buy, and see what Canon announces, but
> my advice question is, what kinds of things should I weigh in my
> decision-making, and is a discontinued model a bad thing to buy?
> I imagine the prices will drop for the S50, but so might the support
> in time.

Whatever camera you buy, if it isn't already discontinued, it will be during
the time you own it. The camera will work the same whether Canon keeps
making that model or not.

What kind of support are you concerned with here? You'll get the same
warranty if the camera is discontinued. There may be firmware updates, or
there may not. No way to tell in advance.

> I would like the best camera I can get for my money of course, but
> I must admit, I still carry on a lifestyle that would be better off with
> a more or less "pocketable" camera for the time being (which is why
> I was leaning towards settling for the S50).

You really ought to add the A80 to your list. It has one of the G series'
best features, the movable LCD. Especially for taking pictures of your kids,
that will come in *very* handy. It makes it easy to get shots that you'd
have a hard time getting with a fixed LCD, and it takes very fine pictures
and has plenty of manual controls.

-Mike

Robert E. Williams

SeaShel wrote:

> Hi! I have done the lurking and prerequisite FAQ reading, and am ready to
> jump in and ask a question.
>
> I am seeking advice for the purchase of my second digital camera. My first
> (and current) is a Toshiba PDR-M61. Although I have found many who do not
> like it, I have thought its image quality was better than some other (in its
> class and even some newer) cameras I've had the opportunity to use. Kodak
> in particular doesn't seem to focus in as sharply.
>
> I am finding more time to delve into my photography (as my kids are now 7
> and 4) and would like to look into a better camera. Not just an upgrade of
> the point and shoot, but a higher end camera, moving myself to another level
> of learning. Since I do not yet have the time, knowledge, or cash to be
> involved with a digital SLR, I have decided to go with the digital
> "high-end" class of cameras.
>
> I have done much online and offline research, and had narrowed my search to
> the Canon G5 and S50, but when I went to a store to see them up close, the
> sales rep told me that both models (and much of the whole G and S series)
> were slated in their computers for being discontinued! Imagine my shock.
>
> I asked around at some of the review sites and found that this is true at
> least for the S50. Canon of course has nothing on their site about this,
> but the word I got said that the PMA show in February and the Photokina show
> in September will announce around 20 new models from Canon.
>
> I will surely wait now to buy, and see what Canon announces, but my advice
> question is, what kinds of things should I weigh in my decision-making, and
> is a discontinued model a bad thing to buy? I imagine the prices will drop
> for the S50, but so might the support in time. I would like the best camera
> I can get for my money of course, but I must admit, I still carry on a
> lifestyle that would be better off with a more or less "pocketable" camera
> for the time being (which is why I was leaning towards settling for the
> S50).
>
> Thanks for any advice and information.
>
> --
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)
>
> free the fish to reply

That's the name of the game.
Introduce "NEW" models every year or less.
Add more bells and whistles. Add another MP, or another 1X to the zoom range,
Change the color from silver to black, Fiddle with the sensor pattern.
No matter what you buy, there will probably be a "New and Improved" model next
year.
I suspect that the S50 will soon be discontinued as was the S10, S20, S30, S40,
and the S45 before it.
I already see significant discounting of the S50 by online as well as brick and
mortar vendors.
Nevertheless, the S50 is a fine, "shirt pocket" camera that will take stunning 8
x 10s (and larger).
It has more features than you could master in a lifetime and the picture quality
will be as good 5 years from now as it is today.....which is to say, excellent.
I would jump in and take advantage of the low prices being offered.
Bob Williams

Paul L

I've got the G3, it's a much better camera than the Minolta S304 I upgraded
from.
beachcamera dot com had a great deal $497and a 5yr extended was only 60
more.

My brother has the A80 but he still shuffles AA batteries while the LiIon
battery in mine lasts 100's of pics.

The G3's lens is much faster, and it's 4x zoom

Their web site has downloads in pdf of their products, makes it easy to
compare

Holding the two cameras, the G3's much bigger

"SeaShel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi! I have done the lurking and prerequisite FAQ reading, and am ready to
> jump in and ask a question.
>
> I am seeking advice for the purchase of my second digital camera. My

first
> (and current) is a Toshiba PDR-M61. Although I have found many who do not
> like it, I have thought its image quality was better than some other (in

its
> class and even some newer) cameras I've had the opportunity to use. Kodak
> in particular doesn't seem to focus in as sharply.
>
> I am finding more time to delve into my photography (as my kids are now 7
> and 4) and would like to look into a better camera. Not just an upgrade

of
> the point and shoot, but a higher end camera, moving myself to another

level
> of learning. Since I do not yet have the time, knowledge, or cash to be
> involved with a digital SLR, I have decided to go with the digital
> "high-end" class of cameras.
>
> I have done much online and offline research, and had narrowed my search

> the Canon G5 and S50, but when I went to a store to see them up close, the
> sales rep told me that both models (and much of the whole G and S series)
> were slated in their computers for being discontinued! Imagine my shock.
>
> I asked around at some of the review sites and found that this is true at
> least for the S50. Canon of course has nothing on their site about this,
> but the word I got said that the PMA show in February and the Photokina

show
> in September will announce around 20 new models from Canon.
>
> I will surely wait now to buy, and see what Canon announces, but my advice
> question is, what kinds of things should I weigh in my decision-making,

and
> is a discontinued model a bad thing to buy? I imagine the prices will

drop
> for the S50, but so might the support in time. I would like the best

camera
> I can get for my money of course, but I must admit, I still carry on a
> lifestyle that would be better off with a more or less "pocketable" camera
> for the time being (which is why I was leaning towards settling for the
> S50).
>
> Thanks for any advice and information.
>
> --
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)
>
> free the fish to reply

Neon John

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:13:33 -0900, "SeaShel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have done much online and offline research, and had narrowed my search to
>the Canon G5 and S50, but when I went to a store to see them up close, the
>sales rep told me that both models (and much of the whole G and S series)
>were slated in their computers for being discontinued! Imagine my shock.
>
>I asked around at some of the review sites and found that this is true at
>least for the S50. Canon of course has nothing on their site about this,
>but the word I got said that the PMA show in February and the Photokina show
>in September will announce around 20 new models from Canon.

I suggest you not even consider how long a camera you're considering will
remain in production. Once you have purchased the camera, how long it is in
production subsequent to your purchase is irrelevant. IMO, the only criteria
should be that the camera does what you want, feels good in your hands and
fits your price range.

Let's consider a few things regarding the newest gadget vs a
soon-to-be-discontinued one.

With the new one you:

* pay a premium price.
* get to beta test their production methods and design
* get Rev 1.0 or worse firmware that hasn't been stress-tested in the market.
* will find there to be zero user experience or body of knowledge to draw on.
* Suffer high depreciation.

When you buy an end-of-life product you:

* get mature, tested technology.
* firmware and software that has withstood the pressure of the market and has
been debugged.
* get the benefit of a huge user base and body of knowledge.
* get the benefit of all the aftermarket has to offer.
* generally can get a VERY good price. Particularly if you pick up the
product as end-of-production new stock being liquidated as "refurbished".

I used this philosophy to buy my CoolPix 995 last year. I got a brand new
camera as a "refurb" from Nikon's online store. This was a very popular and
mature product with huge aftermarket and user support. I could buy just about
any conceivable accessory for the camera because it had been on the market
long enough that the aftermarket had embraced it. I got the camera at just
about half what it retailed for when introduced. It does everything I need
right now and that didn't change when they quit making it.

John

---
John De Armond
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
Cleveland, Occupied TN

Hugo Drax

"SeaShel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi! I have done the lurking and prerequisite FAQ reading, and am ready to
> jump in and ask a question.
>
> I am seeking advice for the purchase of my second digital camera. My

first
> (and current) is a Toshiba PDR-M61. Although I have found many who do not
> like it, I have thought its image quality was better than some other (in

its
> class and even some newer) cameras I've had the opportunity to use. Kodak
> in particular doesn't seem to focus in as sharply.
>
> I am finding more time to delve into my photography (as my kids are now 7
> and 4) and would like to look into a better camera. Not just an upgrade

of
> the point and shoot, but a higher end camera, moving myself to another

level
> of learning. Since I do not yet have the time, knowledge, or cash to be
> involved with a digital SLR, I have decided to go with the digital
> "high-end" class of cameras.

Wait till after feburary, Canon is going to introduce a boatload of new
models and lots of older models will sell for cheap and the new models for
the same price as lastyears bodies. I would wait at this point.

SeaShel

Robert E. Williams wrote:
> [...]

> Introduce "NEW" models every year or less.
> Add more bells and whistles. Add another MP, or another 1X to the
> zoom range, Change the color from silver to black, Fiddle with the
> sensor pattern.
> No matter what you buy, there will probably be a "New and Improved"
> model next year.
> I suspect that the S50 will soon be discontinued as was the S10, S20,
> S30, S40, and the S45 before it.
> I already see significant discounting of the S50 by online as well as
> brick and mortar vendors.
> Nevertheless, the S50 is a fine, "shirt pocket" camera that will take
> stunning 8 x 10s (and larger).
> It has more features than you could master in a lifetime and the
> picture quality will be as good 5 years from now as it is
> today.....which is to say, excellent. I would jump in and take
> advantage of the low prices being offered.

Thanks for all the great advice! I especially appreciate the perspective of
technology's fleeting changes, and that prompted my change of thought from,
"What could I get if I wait for a new model?" to "What will I get with what
is out there now?"

I thought about features that "might" come up in new models, and there
weren't too many I could forsee my feeling buyer's remorse over (of course,
new technology will likely have me eating crow for that ) and so I jumped
on a good deal on the S50:

The Base Exchange (BX) here in Alaska will price match, and so with today's
Best Buy circular showing a price drop, coupled with a 10% discount on a new
revolving account opened today, got me the S50 for $360. It was below the
price many online dealers were offering - and there was no shipping cost.

I realize the price will likely go down even more in the coming months, but
I am satisfied with the deal I got, and having the camera right now is worth
it. It's *so* much better than my old camera, and you're right, cousin
Bob - there's more stuff than I can possibly absorb for quite some time!

--
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply