Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 10D Noise Reduction Plugin

Canon 10D Noise Reduction Plugin

I seem to remember a link from somwhere in this group to some (I think
) Adobe Photoshop plug in that specifically counteracts the noise from
the 10D ccd.

Is there really such a facility? Ought it to be used all the time or
only when faster ISO settings have been used? Is it very effective?

I am finding, looking at my screen, that when I use nik sharpener to
improve my images, the noise is also sharpened! And that aint so good.
The particular shot I had in mind was on a misty day and I cranked up
the contrast in photoshop before the editing process began. Maybe that
is the problem.

PeterH

is it
http://www.pcphotoreview.com/Noise,R...mage,Noise,Red
uction/PRD_145274_5647crx.aspx

"n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I seem to remember a link from somwhere in this group to some (I think
> ) Adobe Photoshop plug in that specifically counteracts the noise from
> the 10D ccd.
>
> Is there really such a facility? Ought it to be used all the time or
> only when faster ISO settings have been used? Is it very effective?
>
> I am finding, looking at my screen, that when I use nik sharpener to
> improve my images, the noise is also sharpened! And that aint so good.
> The particular shot I had in mind was on a misty day and I cranked up
> the contrast in photoshop before the editing process began. Maybe that
> is the problem.

Kenny

"n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> I am finding, looking at my screen, that when I use nik sharpener to
> improve my images, the noise is also sharpened! And that aint so good.
> The particular shot I had in mind was on a misty day and I cranked up
> the contrast in photoshop before the editing process began. Maybe that
> is the problem.

The10D has very low noise all the way to ISO 1600 so cleaning images for
noise is not a general problem. Getting the shot settings right in the
first place should be your priority as boosting contrast in a high ISO
shot is bound to amplify any noise, and the greater the contrast gain,
the worse it will be. Over-sharpening adds to the problem as well.

If you have to clean an image, do it before you apply any other
adjustments. Sharpening should be the last step and not over-done. I
have printed ISO1600 shots at 12"x18" and you would be very hard pushed
to see any noise.

Kenny

Glenn de Souza

I use NeatImage, but like the other poster said, with a Canon 10D, you
should not see a lot of noise.

I also use NikSharpener, and there are two things you might want to consider
when using it. First, I only use the lightest setting "Anna" and before
sharpening I size and flatten the image, and then duplicate the layer,
applying the sharpening to the duplicated top layer only. I then sometimes
reduce the opacity of that layer to further mute the sharpening amount.
Second, if there are certain areas that you would not want to sharpen at all
(like continuous tone sky), add a layer mask to the sharpened layer, and
mask out those areas.

Good luck,

Glenn

"n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I seem to remember a link from somwhere in this group to some (I think
> ) Adobe Photoshop plug in that specifically counteracts the noise from
> the 10D ccd.
>
> Is there really such a facility? Ought it to be used all the time or
> only when faster ISO settings have been used? Is it very effective?
>
> I am finding, looking at my screen, that when I use nik sharpener to
> improve my images, the noise is also sharpened! And that aint so good.
> The particular shot I had in mind was on a misty day and I cranked up
> the contrast in photoshop before the editing process began. Maybe that
> is the problem.

Kenny

"Glenn de Souza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I use NeatImage, but like the other poster said, with a Canon 10D, you
> should not see a lot of noise.
>
> I also use NikSharpener, and there are two things you might want to

consider
> when using it. First, I only use the lightest setting "Anna" and

before
> sharpening I size and flatten the image, and then duplicate the layer,
> applying the sharpening to the duplicated top layer only. I then

sometimes
> reduce the opacity of that layer to further mute the sharpening

amount.
> Second, if there are certain areas that you would not want to sharpen

at all
> (like continuous tone sky), add a layer mask to the sharpened layer,

and
> mask out those areas.

Excellent advice Glenn. I wish software vendors would make the least
agressive setting a default.

Kenny

Bart van der Wolf

"Glenn de Souza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I use NeatImage, but like the other poster said, with a Canon 10D, you
> should not see a lot of noise.

I also use NeatImage, but depending on the subject, even the 10D can use a
little noise reduction (not only at higher ISO settings). It also helps in
producing cleaner sharpening masks.

Bart

JPS@no.komm

In message <4007e52b$0$9391$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you have to clean an image, do it before you apply any other
>adjustments. Sharpening should be the last step and not over-done. I
>have printed ISO1600 shots at 12"x18" and you would be very hard pushed
>to see any noise.

Part of the reason that higher ISOs have a reputation for being noisy is
not just the higher noise levels; a lot of it has to do with the quality
of lighting that most high-ISO images are required. I've accidentally
left my 10D set at ISO 1600 from the previous evening, and used it on
sunlit subjects, and not even noticed that they were ISO 1600, until I
saw the EXIF data.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

"Glenn de Souza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<C9SNb.11431$Xq2.8604@fed1read07>...
> I use NeatImage, but like the other poster said, with a Canon 10D, you
> should not see a lot of noise.
>
> I also use NikSharpener, and there are two things you might want to consider
> when using it. First, I only use the lightest setting "Anna" and before
> sharpening I size and flatten the image, and then duplicate the layer,
> applying the sharpening to the duplicated top layer only. I then sometimes
> reduce the opacity of that layer to further mute the sharpening amount.
> Second, if there are certain areas that you would not want to sharpen at all
> (like continuous tone sky), add a layer mask to the sharpened layer, and
> mask out those areas.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Glenn

Size? Flatten?
It is a bit like drinking from a hose pipe here! I
will have to get stuck into a good photoshop book so that i can
benefit from the suggestions.

I will check out neat image.

Thanks.

ps

the one shot i had in mind when i originally posted was at dusk on a
street with little lighting. I didnt use a flash. The histogram was
way over to the left and to get anything visible at all i had to crank
up contrast etc. If you have an idea how i could digitally process
this shot again to try and get it to look good i would like to hear
it. The subject was in brown.