Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EF 14mm f/2.8L USM or 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

EF 14mm f/2.8L USM or 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

I want to build up my collection of lenses for my Canon d10, which has
a 1.6 built in zoom. One day when their price is down or they are
available second hand I would like to get a canon Ds.

Anyway, at the mo I have a canon 70-200 2.8. It is great but I
*really* noticed the absence of shorter focal lengths and so would
like the next one to be either a

14mm f2.8L usm or a 24-70mm f2.8 L USM

Apart from the focal length are there any other significant
differences between these? I have a feeling that one might be more
fragile. That sort of thing...

Is there a way of finding out what else is in the canon pipeline?

Miguel Del Rio

That is like if you want help to decide if you buy a carrot or a lighter.
There is no point in discussing that.

www.usa.canon.com

Miguel

"n" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I want to build up my collection of lenses for my Canon d10, which has
> a 1.6 built in zoom. One day when their price is down or they are
> available second hand I would like to get a canon Ds.
>
> Anyway, at the mo I have a canon 70-200 2.8. It is great but I
> *really* noticed the absence of shorter focal lengths and so would
> like the next one to be either a
>
> 14mm f2.8L usm or a 24-70mm f2.8 L USM
>
> Apart from the focal length are there any other significant
> differences between these? I have a feeling that one might be more
> fragile. That sort of thing...
>
> Is there a way of finding out what else is in the canon pipeline?

steve

I would suspect that the 14mm would have much more distortion (barrel or
fisheye) than the 24mm-70mm at minimum focal length.

In addition to this there appear to be many reasons (in theory) why a
fixed focal length lens may have better performance in terms of contrast
and aberrations -- I suspect that the fixed lens would have many fewer
elements in the light path.

Hey how about finding a place to rent both of those lenses and give
yourself a chance to 'test drive' them and decide for yourself?

steve