Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 28-135 IS USM lens on 10D front end loose?

Canon 28-135 IS USM lens on 10D front end loose?

Jack

Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
notice it? I did this with the camera unpowered, as the battery charge
was too low and I had to pull it out to charge it.
Or am I making much ado about nothing?
Thanks much.
--
de Jack N2MPU FN20
Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N

Alan F Cross

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jack
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
>(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
>out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
>attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
>the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
>the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
>ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
>thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
>notice it? I did this with the camera unpowered, as the battery charge
>was too low and I had to pull it out to charge it.
>Or am I making much ado about nothing?
>Thanks much.

Yep, they all do it! Had my local store get a second one in, just to
check. And half a dozen responses here said the same.

Kinda counter-intuitive if you think of this as a precision piece of
optics. But its movement is lateral - not axial and not twisting, so I
guess this movement is built into the calculations. You're not touching
it when taking pictures, so it probably floats in the right position
when it's critical.

--
Alan F Cross

Chris Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
>(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
>out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
>attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
>the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
>the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
>ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
>thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
>notice it?

Mine has a bit of play as well. Haven't found it to be a problem.

Jack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, in rec.photo.digital,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jack
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
> >(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
> >out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
> >attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
> >the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
> >the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
> >ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
> >thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
> >notice it? I did this with the camera unpowered, as the battery charge
> >was too low and I had to pull it out to charge it.
> >Or am I making much ado about nothing?
> >Thanks much.

> Yep, they all do it! Had my local store get a second one in, just to
> check. And half a dozen responses here said the same.
>
> Kinda counter-intuitive if you think of this as a precision piece of
> optics. But its movement is lateral - not axial and not twisting, so I
> guess this movement is built into the calculations. You're not touching
> it when taking pictures, so it probably floats in the right position
> when it's critical.

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this. I'm surprised
in all the research I did prior to getting this camera that no one has
mentioned it. I'm guessing that it's part of the stabilization process.
--
de Jack N2MPU FN20
Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N
Proud NRA member
addy: (E-Mail Removed)

MarkH

Chris Brown <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> wrote in news:dl0jd1-
(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
>>(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
>>out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
>>attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
>>the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
>>the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
>>ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
>>thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
>>notice it?

> Mine has a bit of play as well. Haven't found it to be a problem.

Mine too, but I have only taken 5 or 6 thousand shots through that lens
without a problem, so what do I know?

I vote for this being classified as a non-issue.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

jriegle

Welcome to plastic fantastic! I have experience with Canon, Nikon, Pentax
and several third party zooms made from plastics and there is always play in
the front end. Some models worse than others and the cheapest Nikon and
Canon zooms are pretty bad.
John

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
> (EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
> out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
> attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
> the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
> the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
> ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
> thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
> notice it? I did this with the camera unpowered, as the battery charge
> was too low and I had to pull it out to charge it.
> Or am I making much ado about nothing?
> Thanks much.
> --
> de Jack N2MPU FN20
> Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N
> Proud NRA member
> addy: (E-Mail Removed)

Peter Charles

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:12:51 -0500, Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
>(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
>out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
>attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
>the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
>the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
>ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
>thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
>notice it? I did this with the camera unpowered, as the battery charge
>was too low and I had to pull it out to charge it.
>Or am I making much ado about nothing?
>Thanks much.

That's typical, all my AF Canon lenses did that, the 28-105 was the
worst. It was damn near a shift lens.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

Mark M

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this. I'm surprised
> in all the research I did prior to getting this camera that no one has
> mentioned it. I'm guessing that it's part of the stabilization process.

It is not mentioned due to it being irrelevant.
You will suffer no ill effects.

Mark M

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bu6u75$pgb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris Brown <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> wrote in news:dl0jd1-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>Finally getting to spend some quality time with my new acquisition
> >>(EOS10D 28-135 IS USM lens, etc.). I noticed something that weirded me
> >>out at first. The front end of the lens (the end where the lens cap
> >>attaches) barrel wobbles around a little bit. The lens doesn't wobble in
> >>the mount, just at the part that slides in and out as you zoom. Called
> >>the dealer I got it from and they tried a couple of lenses and said the
> >>ones they had did that. Figured I'd call Canon and they said the same
> >>thing, that it was part of the design. Any ideas on this? Anyone else
> >>notice it?

> > Mine has a bit of play as well. Haven't found it to be a problem.

> Mine too, but I have only taken 5 or 6 thousand shots through that lens
> without a problem, so what do I know?
>
> I vote for this being classified as a non-issue.

After about 20,000 shots though mine (literally), I'd call it a non-issue
too.

Gaul

Where is this lens manufactured?