Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anyone using "Lacie" external hard drives for photo storage?

Anyone using "Lacie" external hard drives for photo storage?

GAH

Just curious if anyone is using the "Lacie" brand of external hard drives
for photo (or data) storage.

I got a pretty good price on a 160 gig firewire drive, but have mixed
feelings about it. Nearly no written documentation came with it (manual is
on CD), and it's not a simple plug-n-play thing. You need to "initialize
and partition" it, which if you've never done it is not that easy to figure
out as the wizards do not start up as the manual said they would. The hard
drive also periodically makes a "clicking" noise (when not in use). It does
however, once set up, seem to work fine.

Anyone else using these? Your opinions?

Greg

HRosita

Hi,

Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year). Use it
for backups. Now that you mention it, it was not formated but formating was no
problem. Older drives make some more noise that the newer ones but the clicking
sound that you hear worries me a bit.
I had an internal drive (make unknown) that all of a sudden stopped working and
just made a clicking sound. It got replaced by the manufacturer.
Rosita

Toni

El dia 15 Jan 2004 10:18:29 GMT, en http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita)
va escriure:

>Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year). Use it
>for backups.

Hi Rosita,

Think twice before using a HD or any other non read-only media as
backup: if you get a virus, by the time you notice it and update
your antivirus you may have lost it all. Also don't exclude human
error; you (or anybody) could accidentally erase all.

Toni

Mike Brodbelt

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:02:34 +0100, Toni wrote:

> El dia 15 Jan 2004 10:18:29 GMT, en (E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita) va
> escriure:
>
>>Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year).
>>Use it for backups.

> Hi Rosita,
>
> Think twice before using a HD or any other non read-only media as backup:
> if you get a virus, by the time you notice it and update your antivirus
> you may have lost it all. Also don't exclude human error; you (or anybody)
> could accidentally erase all.

Read only media aren't immune to human error - you can accidentally sit on
them!

The key to backups is simple - more than one copy. Using an external hard
disk is better than no backup. Using an external hard disk, and burning
multiple CD/DVDs each month which you store in a different location is
better... That's why tape is still so popular - media cost is very low,
and reliability is high.

Mike.

Jack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, in
rec.photo.digital, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> El dia 15 Jan 2004 10:18:29 GMT, en (E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita)
> va escriure:
>
> >Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year). Use it
> >for backups.

> Hi Rosita,
>
> Think twice before using a HD or any other non read-only media as
> backup: if you get a virus, by the time you notice it and update
> your antivirus you may have lost it all. Also don't exclude human
> error; you (or anybody) could accidentally erase all.
>
> Toni

So how does one backup then? Read-only media, which is what you seem to
be talking about using Toni, will not allow you to backup to it.
Frankly, someone doing backup is already likely to have and USE anti-
virus software.
--
de Jack N2MPU FN20
Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N

Joe B.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:18:29 +0000, HRosita wrote
(in message <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Hi,
>
> Have had a Lacie external hard drive for quite a while (about a year). Use it
> for backups. Now that you mention it, it was not formated but formating was
> no
> problem. Older drives make some more noise that the newer ones but the
> clicking
> sound that you hear worries me a bit.
> I had an internal drive (make unknown) that all of a sudden stopped working
> and
> just made a clicking sound. It got replaced by the manufacturer.
> Rosita

I've had the 160GB external Lacie for a couple of years and had no problems
at all. It makes some clicking sounds when first powered up- and at no other
time- otherwise it just makes a very quiet purring when in use, and no sounds
at all when not in use.

I also had an internal drive that stated making odd clicking sounds and
pausing, as if trying to find the right part of the disk- this got worse
gradually over a few months. It eventually stopped working altogether and was
replaced.

--
Joe B. (remove composer for email)