Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Newby question: memory cards

Newby question: memory cards

Barry Goldwater

Is CompactFlash (Kodak) the same as an SD Memory Card, or Multimedia
Card (as required by my new Minolta Dimage E223)? Thanks in advance.

Mikey S.

nope, they are different formats and sizes
CF ( compact Flash)

SD (Secure Digital)
MMC (Multimedia card)
( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

other formats include
XD ( I forget what that stands for)
Memory Stick ( for Sony only)
SM ( Smart Media)

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"Barry Goldwater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Is CompactFlash (Kodak) the same as an SD Memory Card, or Multimedia
> Card (as required by my new Minolta Dimage E223)? Thanks in advance.

Gwilym Calon

"Mikey S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> nope, they are different formats and sizes
> CF ( compact Flash)
>
> SD (Secure Digital)
> MMC (Multimedia card)
> ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
> them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)
>
> other formats include
> XD ( I forget what that stands for)
> Memory Stick ( for Sony only)
> SM ( Smart Media)

But if you buy an 8-in-1 card reader, it will accept all of the above formats
(and only cost a little more than a single-type reader).

-------------
GC

Barry Goldwater

"Mikey S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> SD (Secure Digital)
> MMC (Multimedia card)
> ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
> them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

I do have a choice. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of SD vs. MMC?

fruitbat

On 1/16/2004, Barry Goldwater wrote:

> "Mikey S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > SD (Secure Digital)
> > MMC (Multimedia card)
> > ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras
> > that use them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

> I do have a choice. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of
> SD vs. MMC?

Well, for one, right now SD is between 20% and 60% more expensive for
the same amount of storage, depending on the brand and capacity. For
example, at B&H, a 256MB Lexar 4x CF card is $53. A 256MB Lexar SD card
is $70. Bump the size up to 512MB, and the prices are $125 for CF and a
whopping $200 for SD! Note also that SD isn't available in the sizes
that CF is (SD right now maxes out at 512MB it seems, while CF goes up
to 4GB and more).

So, to summarize:

CF
Pros: Larger capacities, wider support?, cheaper, wider brand selection

SD
Pros: Smaller physical size, security features?

There are probably other factors, but those are the big ones, as far as
I'm concerned.

Jeff

Hyun

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Barry Goldwater) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> "Mikey S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
> > SD (Secure Digital)
> > MMC (Multimedia card)
> > ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
> > them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

> I do have a choice. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of SD vs. MMC?

There is one large advantage of using SD cards over MMC cards - speed.
SD cards may be more expensive but you can always get them on sale.
I would spend the extra $$ for a fast SD card since future cameras
will work faster with them in terms of shutter lag, etc.

Arthur Lee
http://www.best-digital-photos.com

Barry Goldwater

"Mikey S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> nope, they are different formats and sizes
> CF ( compact Flash)
>
> SD (Secure Digital)
> MMC (Multimedia card)
> ( SD and MMC are the same size and interchangeable in most cameras that use
> them , and SD is faster so get that if you have a choice)

As my newbie journey into digital cameradom has progressed, I wound up
going to Fry's electronics, and purchasing a PMCCIA adapter for my
laptop, plus, a 64MB MMC card, because they had it in stock. I had
initially misunderstood the above post, thinking that SD being faster
meant that it would more rapidly transfer data to the computer -- I
now understand that it has to do with shutter speed, and SD apparently
causes fewer blurs if the subject should move. Assuming that I got
that right -- correct me if I'm wrong -- my next question is, what
about the 8MB internal memory in my camera? Is is relatively faster or
slower, shutter-wise, than the memory card?

Again, thanks to all you helpful responders.