Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo storage

Photo storage

C. Lamonaca

I'm interested in purchasing a portable storage device to store digital
photos while on vacation. Any recommendations? I have owned a 6 GB digital
wallet for about 21/2 years now and I'm beginning to outgrow it. Thanks

Michael Meissner

"C. Lamonaca" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm interested in purchasing a portable storage device to store digital
> photos while on vacation. Any recommendations? I have owned a 6 GB digital
> wallet for about 21/2 years now and I'm beginning to outgrow it. Thanks

I use the x-drive II with a used 6 gig laptop drive I purchased (ie, unlike the
Digital Wallet, you can swap drives if need be). The only real problem I had
with it was the early firmware stopped the transfer if the unit was jolted (I
was sitting on a bench and some kids were jumping on the concrete next to it).
I don't use it enough during the day that the relatively short battery life (2
hours) would affect me. The newer firmware from October fixes this. Note, it
is a pain to update firmware, since the only two systems supported are Windows
98 and Windows 2000 (ie, not Windows XP). I bought my unit at:

http://www.insidecomputer.com

which sells other units as well.

The other choice is a portable CD burner. The new Apacer CP200's can display
pictures on a TV screen, act as a DVD reader, and deal with media > 700
megabytes by spanning multiple CDs.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Leana

I have a USB 2.0 portable storage HD, 40Gb, runs on batteries and last a
long time,rechargeable, incorporating a CF reader, so no cables are
necessary in the field, only required when downloading from the drive to PC,
the size of a large wallet, simple commands and so far great, can be also
used as an external hard disk when connected to Pc. The site is:
http://www.mittoni.com

Regards
Rita

news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...