Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Digital Rebel - Infrared?

Canon Digital Rebel - Infrared?

Mike Kober

I ordered a Digital Rebel that should be arriving within 2 weeks
(backorder already). My question is about using it for infrared
photography?

I've read several articles on digital cameras having infrared cutoff
filters built-in. Many people have had success with near-infrared
filters and digital.

Anyone use the Rebel for this purpose yet? Could you post some info
on how?

Thanks in advance!

Charles Schuler

> I've read several articles on digital cameras having infrared cutoff
> filters built-in. Many people have had success with near-infrared
> filters and digital.

Yes, the DRebel has such a filter.

> Anyone use the Rebel for this purpose yet? Could you post some info
> on how?

Plan on using a tripod as long exposures will be required. There has been
some discussion on the 300D forum at dpreview.com

Mike Kober

Thanks.

Nice forum, haven't read that forum.

Interesting discussion on "midnight landscapes", one of the other
things I wanted to try with the Rebel.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:14:06 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I've read several articles on digital cameras having infrared cutoff
>> filters built-in. Many people have had success with near-infrared
>> filters and digital.

>Yes, the DRebel has such a filter.
>
>> Anyone use the Rebel for this purpose yet? Could you post some info
>> on how?

>Plan on using a tripod as long exposures will be required. There has been
>some discussion on the 300D forum at dpreview.com

Frank M. Siegert

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:00:43 GMT, Mike Kober <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I ordered a Digital Rebel that should be arriving within 2 weeks
>(backorder already). My question is about using it for infrared
>photography?
>
>I've read several articles on digital cameras having infrared cutoff
>filters built-in. Many people have had success with near-infrared
>filters and digital.
>
>Anyone use the Rebel for this purpose yet? Could you post some info
>on how?

The Canon 300 / 10D or D60 sensor has unfortunately a rather weak
infrared response as you can see from the spectral response chart:

http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/digit/spectre_4.gif

(Infrared light to the right side, chart from the full article (in
french)

http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/digit/spectra.htm

)

Proctor

"Frank M. Siegert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:00:43 GMT, Mike Kober <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I ordered a Digital Rebel that should be arriving within 2 weeks
> >(backorder already). My question is about using it for infrared
> >photography?
> >
> >I've read several articles on digital cameras having infrared cutoff
> >filters built-in. Many people have had success with near-infrared
> >filters and digital.
> >
> >Anyone use the Rebel for this purpose yet? Could you post some info
> >on how?

> The Canon 300 / 10D or D60 sensor has unfortunately a rather weak
> infrared response as you can see from the spectral response chart:
>
> http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/digit/spectre_4.gif
>
> (Infrared light to the right side, chart from the full article (in
> french)
>
> http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/digit/spectra.htm
>
> )

Frank that is great information. Could you tell me how to make a judgement
on the quality of my Sony TRV-730 with Nightshot? Sony also sells a light
for additional distance and I would get one if it would be a worthwhile toy.

Thanks

Proctor