Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why few people interested in Nikon D100?

Why few people interested in Nikon D100?

VAT

I notice people are eager to buy the Canon 10D, even if it's hard to get. I
think the image quality of Nikon is comparable to Canon. What's the appeal
of Canon 10D (not counting the afforable Rebel) over Nikon?

Bob Pattinson

Nikon D100 is getting old and older.........

Bob P.

"VAT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7f3Nb.8696$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I notice people are eager to buy the Canon 10D, even if it's hard to get.

> think the image quality of Nikon is comparable to Canon. What's the appeal
> of Canon 10D (not counting the afforable Rebel) over Nikon?

Jim Townsend

VAT wrote:

> I notice people are eager to buy the Canon 10D, even if it's hard to get. I
> think the image quality of Nikon is comparable to Canon. What's the appeal
> of Canon 10D (not counting the afforable Rebel) over Nikon?

Price..

The 10D was a lot less than the 10D at the outset. Nikon reduced
the price of the D100 last summer to put it in line with the 10D..
Perhaps a bit too late.

As a double whammy, Canon came out with an even less expensive camera that
hasn't been matched by any other manufacturer. That's why this group has so
many 10D and Digital Rebel topics...

The D100 is a fabulous camera. Nikon's only weakness was in marketing and
innovation. It almost looks like the other manufacturers are handing
Canon the DSLR market..

David Dyer-Bennet

"VAT" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I notice people are eager to buy the Canon 10D, even if it's hard to get. I
> think the image quality of Nikon is comparable to Canon. What's the appeal
> of Canon 10D (not counting the afforable Rebel) over Nikon?

Takes Canon lenses. (That's not an *absolute* advantage, but it's an
advantage for those people with a significant collection of Canon
lenses already). And has been out for long enough that the people who
want one mostly already have it.
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

cwvalle

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> VAT wrote:
>
> > I notice people are eager to buy the Canon 10D, even if it's hard to

get. I
> > think the image quality of Nikon is comparable to Canon. What's the

appeal
> > of Canon 10D (not counting the afforable Rebel) over Nikon?

> Price..
>
> The 10D was a lot less than the 10D at the outset. Nikon reduced
> the price of the D100 last summer to put it in line with the 10D..
> Perhaps a bit too late.
>
> As a double whammy, Canon came out with an even less expensive camera that
> hasn't been matched by any other manufacturer. That's why this group has

so
> many 10D and Digital Rebel topics...
>
> The D100 is a fabulous camera. Nikon's only weakness was in marketing and
> innovation. It almost looks like the other manufacturers are handing
> Canon the DSLR market..

I think people are waiting for the D70 now. But I really think it's going to
be a disappointment. A stripped down D100 for only a few hundred less? What
nikon needs is a full frame digital so we can use our glass.
I am hoping that the real surprises come in the coolpix line. How about a
wide angle 10x zoom with better focus and speed than the 5700? How about an
interchangeable lens digital along the lines of the APS camera bodies. Then
we could live with that smaller sensor size. That would go a long way to
keeping prices down. I'm tired of lugging these 4lb dinosaur nikons
around...
Carl

Gill Couto

They're both very similar in features and specs. They're also both
brand new designs, instead of improved versions of prior camera
models. So what's the difference? Canon got a head start in DSLRs,
it's just marketing momentum. The 10D is an affordable 1D.

On the Nikon side, the name of the D100 makes it sound like a digital
version of the F100, kind of like saying it's nothing new except it's
now digital. Boring, whether better or not. I'd still go for the
D100 between the two, only to stick with Nikon lenses.

gill
http://www.gillcouto.com/

P.S. And now the D Rebel is an affordable 10D

VAT wrote:
> I notice people are eager to buy the Canon 10D, even if it's hard to get. I
> think the image quality of Nikon is comparable to Canon. What's the appeal
> of Canon 10D (not counting the afforable Rebel) over Nikon?

Sloopy

In article <oo4Nb.1452$Xq2.1049@fed1read07>,
Gill Couto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On the Nikon side, the name of the D100 makes it sound like a digital
> version of the F100, kind of like saying it's nothing new except it's
> now digital.

The bogus thing is, it's a digital version of the F80.

I'd buy a digitial version of the F100 in a heartbeat.

-Sloopy

Chris Brown

In article <oo4Nb.1452$Xq2.1049@fed1read07>,
Gill Couto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>They're both very similar in features and specs. They're also both
>brand new designs, instead of improved versions of prior camera
>models. So what's the difference? Canon got a head start in DSLRs,
>it's just marketing momentum. The 10D is an affordable 1D.
>
>On the Nikon side, the name of the D100 makes it sound like a digital
>version of the F100, kind of like saying it's nothing new except it's
>now digital. Boring, whether better or not.

But the 10D has exactly the same "problem". There is an EOS 10
(discontinued), and the 10D sounds like it's a digital version of it
(actually it's a digital version of the EOS 30, but there's already been a
D30).

George

I think the difference is that Canon gave its users the shaft on lensmounts
(EF, FD) in the past and most users of Canon SLRs have lenses fully
compatible with the Canon line of digital SLRs. Nikon users have been able
to use their lenses (including metering) for quite some time with some
lenses only needing AI conversion (a minimal cost). I am a Nikon user (for
years) and probably could tolerate either the 1.5X magnification factor on
my existing manual focus lenses (Canon users have it too, even worse at
1.6X, except on their $8k body) OR not being able to meter with my existing
manual focus lenses...but won't consider it with both disadvantages. If
Nikon wishes to force me to buy all new lenses, then Nikon holds no
advantage over switching to Canon, Olympus, Pentax, etc. For now, I'll just
wait and see what happens as I LIKE the lenses that I carefully selected
over quite some period of time and changing them all would be cost
prohibitive as well as quite a step backwards for some of the photography
that I do (e.g., using a zoom under studio conditions, most of their current
zooms shift aperture as you zoom which isn't very convenient with studio
flash).

I think a lot of people are also aware of how quickly high tech items become
landfill and don't relish paying current prices for something that will be
eclipsed within two years on both price and performance. For instance, I
once had a business that I bought a computer system for...the system cost
$140,000 and within eight years I had to PAY to have it hauled away (still
operational). If you doubt this, think about how much you're willing to pay
for a new Nikon D1 (not "x", not "h") today...does $5200 seem right, how
about $2500, no? Maybe $1500? You say you'd rather have a new D100 for
that price? If you have a business where the digital camera is generating
revenues faster than it is depreciating, then its purchase still makes
sense. If you're a hobbyist, you might think differently about your
multi-thousand dollar purchase being worthless within five years.

Does that address your question?

"VAT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7f3Nb.8696$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I notice people are eager to buy the Canon 10D, even if it's hard to get.

> think the image quality of Nikon is comparable to Canon. What's the appeal
> of Canon 10D (not counting the afforable Rebel) over Nikon?

The Black Sheep

"VAT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7f3Nb.8696$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I notice people are eager to buy the Canon 10D, even if it's hard to

get. I
> think the image quality of Nikon is comparable to Canon. What's the

appeal
> of Canon 10D (not counting the afforable Rebel) over Nikon?

(1) Price
(2) The compatibilities (and lack) of the Nikon lens line-up is
confusing for people who have not used the Nikon system before.
(3) At least in my area used Canon gear was MUCH easier to find... at
least until everyone bough DRebels and now you can't find used lenses
anywhere.
(4) Canon is much better known in the digital arena