Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Target and Walgreens, glossy or matte?

Target and Walgreens, glossy or matte?

joe_reed

I stopped at Walgreens tonight and asked the guy, who worked in the
photo lab, if their .29 4x6 photos (.20 each for orders over 50) print
out on their machine (I believe it was a Kodak) on glossy or matte. He
said... "I don't know .... I think glossy."

I'd expect this answer from somebody who DIDN'T work in the photo lab
but damn. Does anyone here know which paper digital photos print out
on at Walgreens or Target?

The best price I've seen on matte paper is Sams club... .20 each. Any
local retailers that print on glossy for cheap?

CaptainKrunch

Costco prints on glossy or matte for .19 each no minimum. Prints from CD,
or other memory media. 8x10 inch prints are $1.99

CaptainKrunch

"joe_reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I stopped at Walgreens tonight and asked the guy, who worked in the
> photo lab, if their .29 4x6 photos (.20 each for orders over 50) print
> out on their machine (I believe it was a Kodak) on glossy or matte. He
> said... "I don't know .... I think glossy."
>
> I'd expect this answer from somebody who DIDN'T work in the photo lab
> but damn. Does anyone here know which paper digital photos print out
> on at Walgreens or Target?
>
> The best price I've seen on matte paper is Sams club... .20 each. Any
> local retailers that print on glossy for cheap?

Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

"joe_reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I stopped at Walgreens tonight and asked the guy, who worked in the
> photo lab, if their .29 4x6 photos (.20 each for orders over 50) print
> out on their machine (I believe it was a Kodak) on glossy or matte. He
> said... "I don't know .... I think glossy."
>
> I'd expect this answer from somebody who DIDN'T work in the photo lab
> but damn. Does anyone here know which paper digital photos print out
> on at Walgreens or Target?
>
> The best price I've seen on matte paper is Sams club... .20 each. Any
> local retailers that print on glossy for cheap?

My Wal-Mart (Canada) can do glossy or matte, with or without a border.
You specify when you order prints, just like regular 35mm film.

mark herring

Below

--
******************
Mark Herring

*
"joe_reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I stopped at Walgreens tonight and asked the guy, who worked in the
> photo lab, if their .29 4x6 photos (.20 each for orders over 50) print
> out on their machine (I believe it was a Kodak) on glossy or matte. He
> said... "I don't know .... I think glossy."
>
> I'd expect this answer from somebody who DIDN'T work in the photo lab
> but damn. Does anyone here know which paper digital photos print out
> on at Walgreens or Target?

That's about par. At the low end of the food chain, the lack of education
in the US shows up often. My favorite: Bank of America, sending a money
order to Prague. Where's that? Czech Republic. Blank stare. ......In
Europe.
Is that a country?

> The best price I've seen on matte paper is Sams club... .20 each. Any
> local retailers that print on glossy for cheap?

I think almost all consumer snapshot work is glossy--it is what people are
used to

YoYo

joe_reed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I stopped at Walgreens tonight and asked the guy, who worked in the
> photo lab, if their .29 4x6 photos (.20 each for orders over 50) print
> out on their machine (I believe it was a Kodak) on glossy or matte. He
> said... "I don't know .... I think glossy."
>
> I'd expect this answer from somebody who DIDN'T work in the photo lab
> but damn. Does anyone here know which paper digital photos print out
> on at Walgreens or Target?
>
> The best price I've seen on matte paper is Sams club... .20 each. Any
> local retailers that print on glossy for cheap?

The Walmart by me only does matte for some reason they never have
glossy.......

YoYo

Michael Meissner

"mark herring" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I think almost all consumer snapshot work is glossy--it is what people are
> used to

Not necessarily. The local Massachusetts Walmarts all use luster finish for
prints, not glossy, though most of them can do glossy though not with a 1 hour
turnaround time.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Ed E.

> I think almost all consumer snapshot work is glossy--it is what people are
> used to

Every Fuji Frontier system I've seen only offers a matte finish. And those
systems are VERY common and found in places such as Sam's Club and Wal-Mart.

L. Santer

I tried out Walgreen's digotal print service last week. They were
glossy. I didn't ask if matte was an option. Pretty quick and easy to
do. About 10 minutes for 30 prints. It looked like it only handles
one order at a time so wonder how they will handle if this service
becomes popular.

dijadi dijadi is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed E. View Post
> I think almost all consumer snapshot work is glossy--it is what people are
> used to

Every Fuji Frontier system I've seen only offers a matte finish. And those
systems are VERY common and found in places such as Sam's Club and Wal-Mart.

Fuji Frontiers 310 and up all do glossy and matte both.
Most Walgreens offer glossy for 4x6, 5x7, & 8x10, though 4x5.3 is matte, only.