Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need Recommendation on lenses for Canon Digital Rebel

Need Recommendation on lenses for Canon Digital Rebel

Joe Martella

I just replaced my Olympus UZ-2100 with a Canon Digital Rebel. I bought the
kit with the 18-55mm lens, and it is fine enough for standard portrait pics,
but I need a lens that will get me across a soccer field, which the Olympus
did pretty well with its 10x optical zoom.

I have been reading quite a bit about the various lenses available for the
Canon body and must admit that I am *quite* confused.

Can someone recommend some specific lenses, by manufacturer and model
number, that I should consider and roughly what I should expect to pay? In
general, I want to be able to take shots from the midpoint of a 100 yard
soccer field and be able to get good quality, close up shots as far as 70
yards across the field and into the far corner.

Any help / pointers you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

Phil Philipp

There is a good discussion and recommendations here, but I could not get
the link to work this morning:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon...0D_lenses.html

Joe Martella wrote:

> I just replaced my Olympus UZ-2100 with a Canon Digital Rebel. I bought the
> kit with the 18-55mm lens, and it is fine enough for standard portrait pics,
> but I need a lens that will get me across a soccer field, which the Olympus
> did pretty well with its 10x optical zoom.
>
> I have been reading quite a bit about the various lenses available for the
> Canon body and must admit that I am *quite* confused.
>
> Can someone recommend some specific lenses, by manufacturer and model
> number, that I should consider and roughly what I should expect to pay? In
> general, I want to be able to take shots from the midpoint of a 100 yard
> soccer field and be able to get good quality, close up shots as far as 70
> yards across the field and into the far corner.
>
> Any help / pointers you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Joe

Povl H. Pedersen

On 2004-01-11, Joe Martella <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just replaced my Olympus UZ-2100 with a Canon Digital Rebel. I bought the
> kit with the 18-55mm lens, and it is fine enough for standard portrait pics,
> but I need a lens that will get me across a soccer field, which the Olympus
> did pretty well with its 10x optical zoom.

Get the Canon 75-300mm IS if on a budget,
or the 70-200mm L IS or the 100-400mm L IS

> I have been reading quite a bit about the various lenses available for the
> Canon body and must admit that I am *quite* confused.
>
> Can someone recommend some specific lenses, by manufacturer and model
> number, that I should consider and roughly what I should expect to pay? In
> general, I want to be able to take shots from the midpoint of a 100 yard
> soccer field and be able to get good quality, close up shots as far as 70
> yards across the field and into the far corner.
>
> Any help / pointers you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Joe

Joe Martella

Great link. Thanks very much.

JM

"Phil Philipp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a good discussion and recommendations here, but I could not get
> the link to work this morning:
>
> http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon...0D_lenses.html
>

> Joe Martella wrote:
>
> > I just replaced my Olympus UZ-2100 with a Canon Digital Rebel. I bought

the
> > kit with the 18-55mm lens, and it is fine enough for standard portrait

pics,
> > but I need a lens that will get me across a soccer field, which the

Olympus
> > did pretty well with its 10x optical zoom.
> >
> > I have been reading quite a bit about the various lenses available for

the
> > Canon body and must admit that I am *quite* confused.
> >
> > Can someone recommend some specific lenses, by manufacturer and model
> > number, that I should consider and roughly what I should expect to pay?

In
> > general, I want to be able to take shots from the midpoint of a 100 yard
> > soccer field and be able to get good quality, close up shots as far as

70
> > yards across the field and into the far corner.
> >
> > Any help / pointers you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

> > Joe

Digital Puer

I second the recommendation for that web page. It's the one I
consulted most often when I was looking for new lenses for
my 300D I bought last month. Take a look at those lenses and
cross-check heavily with opinions on www.photographyreview.com.