Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta DiMage A1 VS DiMAGE 7hi

Minolta DiMage A1 VS DiMAGE 7hi

cymro

Can anybody tell me the difference between the Minolta DiMAGE A1 and the
Minolta DiMage 7hi?
I've read through the specs and can only find two differences :

(1). The A1 has a stabilizer - the 7hi doesn't
(2). The A1 uses own brand batteries - the 7hi can use use standard AA

When choosing between virtually identical specs the possibility of using
standard AA has always been one of my priorities. If my choice had been
between two different brands then I would opt for the one that uses standard
batteries, but I can't understand why Minolta has two identical cameras : I
must have missed something somewhere!

Can somebody shed some light, please

Thanks in advance
Steve

Marc Libom

"cymro" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:btr57u$nlb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've read through the specs and can only find two differences :
> (1). The A1 has a stabilizer - the 7hi doesn't
> (2). The A1 uses own brand batteries - the 7hi can use use standard AA

True and very effective, this unique feature itself is worth to choose the
A1. The battery provides a better power management. With the optional
battery pack available for the A1, you can use both, the brand batteries or
standard AA.

> When choosing between virtually identical specs the possibility of using
> standard AA has always been one of my priorities. If my choice had been
> between two different brands then I would opt for the one that uses

standard
> batteries, but I can't understand why Minolta has two identical cameras :

The cameras are not identical. Many minor and major improvements came into
the A1. The A1 is a real sequel of the succesfull 7 series. Some of the
differences you missed completely:

- A1 provides shutter speeds of 1/16000s (7Hi only 1/4000s)
- A1 has more AWB presets
- A1 has the much more ergonomic design
- A1 has a grip sensor (for saving power and fast activation of pre
focussing)
- A1 has more easy to access switches for fast changing of the setting,
especially at the back
- A1 has the more flexible control wheel, with all creative and scene
programs on it for quick access
- A1 LCD is moveable from -20 to 90 degree - extremly useful!
- A1 has the better and more flexible AF, including 3D predictive AF
- ...

If you own a 7Hi already, there is no direct need to change to the A1 if you
are happy with the 7Hi. But if you want to buy a new one, I can only advise
to take the A1 because of the many big advantages like better power
management, AntiShake, flexible LCD, the better handling and the much better
AF.

Leo R.

"cymro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btr57u$nlb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anybody tell me the difference between the Minolta DiMAGE A1 and the
> Minolta DiMage 7hi?
> I've read through the specs and can only find two differences :
>
> (1). The A1 has a stabilizer - the 7hi doesn't
> (2). The A1 uses own brand batteries - the 7hi can use use standard AA
>
> When choosing between virtually identical specs the possibility of using
> standard AA has always been one of my priorities. If my choice had been
> between two different brands then I would opt for the one that uses

standard
> batteries, but I can't understand why Minolta has two identical cameras :

> must have missed something somewhere!
>
> Can somebody shed some light, please
>

> Thanks in advance
> Steve

They are far from identical Steve. Go here and compare them side by side.
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...n/compare.html

Leo R

Thorsten Winter

"Marc Libom" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:btr7ro$j1d$06$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...

> The cameras are not identical. Many minor and major improvements came into
> the A1. The A1 is a real sequel of the succesfull 7 series. Some of the
> differences you missed completely:
>
> - A1 provides shutter speeds of 1/16000s (7Hi only 1/4000s)
> - A1 has more AWB presets
> - A1 has the much more ergonomic design
> - A1 has a grip sensor (for saving power and fast activation of pre
> focussing)
> - A1 has more easy to access switches for fast changing of the setting,
> especially at the back
> - A1 has the more flexible control wheel, with all creative and scene
> programs on it for quick access
> - A1 LCD is moveable from -20 to 90 degree - extremly useful!
> - A1 has the better and more flexible AF, including 3D predictive AF
> - ...

Some ... would be
- A1 has the better maximum aperture of 11 instead of only (8 or 9,5)
- A1 provides up to 5 frames per second instead of 3 with the 7Hi
- A1 has a 4 times higher video resolution
- A1 has an AUTO ISO mode (100-200) which is missing at the 7Hi

JR

I have the A1, and from what I understand the CCD is different
progressive vs. interlaced, the A/D converter is 14 bit, not 12, 11
point Auto Focus vs. 3 point Auto Focus, the AF system can track moving
objects, the 7 will not. Shutter speed is 30-1/16000 vs. 15-1/2000,
more flexible metering, more white balance options, white balance fine
tuning, the lens will go from f/2.8 - f/11 vs. f/8, there are more, but
those are the basics....Oh and get the BP400 grip and you can use
standard AA batteries as well as get a more comfortable grip for
vertical shots as well as a second shutter release.

JR

cymro

Thanks
I should buy the A1 if I understand correctly...!!!

HRosita

>cymro" wrote:

> should buy the A1 if I understand correctly...!!!

I have the D7Hi and will definitely upgrade to the A1 soon. Just the Antishake
feature is worth the upgrade money, especially if you use the 200mm capability
of the zoom.
Rosita

browntimdc

"cymro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:btrbhj$vid$1@news-
reader3.wanadoo.fr:

> Thanks
> I should buy the A1 if I understand correctly...!!!

No one has mentioned that the A1 has a standard PC flash sync connector.
A big boon to me since I use a number of portable and studio strobe
units.

Tim

--

"The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
and the second strongest is to resist it."

Kenneth Graham

Clyde

In article <Xns946DBC19E7D1Etbflash@199.45.49.11>,
browntimdc <tbrown59@r*e*m*o*v*e*verizon.net> wrote:

> "cymro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:btrbhj$vid$1@news-
> reader3.wanadoo.fr:
>
> > Thanks
> > I should buy the A1 if I understand correctly...!!!
> >

> No one has mentioned that the A1 has a standard PC flash sync connector.
> A big boon to me since I use a number of portable and studio strobe
> units.
>
> Tim

Well, so does the 7Hi.

Clyde