Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > black and white printing

black and white printing

rod

I have a Canon S450 printer (and yes it could do with an upgrade) and a Benq
film scanner. I'm scanning b&w negs to print. I've had very poor resukts
with high res scans. What am I doing wrong? Is it the printer as under
greyscale there are big dots in evidence. When I print as colour I get a
yellow mess. I'm using my photo paper up at a rapid rate. I wish I hadn't
sold my b&w enlarger!

Thanks

David J. Littleboy

"rod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8S0Mb.480$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Canon S450 printer (and yes it could do with an upgrade) and a

Benq
> film scanner. I'm scanning b&w negs to print. I've had very poor resukts
> with high res scans. What am I doing wrong? Is it the printer as under
> greyscale there are big dots in evidence. When I print as colour I get a
> yellow mess. I'm using my photo paper up at a rapid rate. I wish I hadn't
> sold my b&w enlarger!

B&W printing is still difficult for digital, although I get the impression
that once you succeed, it can be very good. Here's one solution:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/hp/hp7960/

The Epson 2200 is supposed to do B&W better than most, and the latest A4
printer from Epson (a pigment ink printer, only in Japan, so far) does
similar things to the 2200, except with smaller droplets and a different
(newer) color ink technology. (I'm tempted to buy this new Epson, but I've
had two Epson A4 printers die on me in well under a year. Epson fixed one,
and presumably will fix the current one, but the irritation is irritating.)

Rafe should be able to point you at the people doing more energetic things
(like replacing color inks with grayscale inks).

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Hugo Drax

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btq74p$3eq$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "rod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8S0Mb.480$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a Canon S450 printer (and yes it could do with an upgrade) and a

> Benq
> > film scanner. I'm scanning b&w negs to print. I've had very poor resukts
> > with high res scans. What am I doing wrong? Is it the printer as under
> > greyscale there are big dots in evidence. When I print as colour I get a
> > yellow mess. I'm using my photo paper up at a rapid rate. I wish I

hadn't
> > sold my b&w enlarger!

> B&W printing is still difficult for digital, although I get the impression
> that once you succeed, it can be very good. Here's one solution:
>
> http://www.photo.net/equipment/hp/hp7960/
>
> The Epson 2200 is supposed to do B&W better than most, and the latest A4
> printer from Epson (a pigment ink printer, only in Japan, so far) does
> similar things to the 2200, except with smaller droplets and a different
> (newer) color ink technology. (I'm tempted to buy this new Epson, but I've
> had two Epson A4 printers die on me in well under a year. Epson fixed one,
> and presumably will fix the current one, but the irritation is

irritating.)

> Rafe should be able to point you at the people doing more energetic things
> (like replacing color inks with grayscale inks).
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

I send stuff to mpix

I printed http://www.pbase.com/image/24962154.jpg as a TIFF to mpix (8x12)
and it looks amazing contrasty,sharp and felt like good old B&W stock. I
fooled people with it, told I used my enlarger

I say if you are serious about your prints send them as Tiffs to a reputable
printing shop its not worth it and cheaper than buying the printer +
consumables.

Mark Herring

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:31:04 -0000, "rod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Canon S450 printer (and yes it could do with an upgrade) and a Benq
>film scanner. I'm scanning b&w negs to print. I've had very poor resukts
>with high res scans. What am I doing wrong? Is it the printer as under
>greyscale there are big dots in evidence. When I print as colour I get a
>yellow mess. I'm using my photo paper up at a rapid rate. I wish I hadn't
>sold my b&w enlarger!
>
>Thanks

You dont say what the problem is---low resolution, tonal scale, etc.?

Newer printers with 7 and 8 inks are supposed to do pretty well at
B&W. The best performance is probably from the best quad-tone and
hex-tone ink sets.

What is the resolution of the Benq scanner?
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

brougham5@yahoo.com