Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 8Mp Digicams?

8Mp Digicams?

VT

Imaging-Resource.com have posted that through NDA (Non-Disclosure
Agreements) they know that there is going to be a wave of 8Mp digicams
announced soon from the majority of the major players.

please see:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1073674311.html
--
Vincent
remove CLOTHES for e-mail

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/

Mark B.

"VT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Imaging-Resource.com have posted that through NDA (Non-Disclosure
> Agreements) they know that there is going to be a wave of 8Mp digicams
> announced soon from the majority of the major players.
>
> please see:
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1073674311.html
> --
> Vincent
> remove CLOTHES for e-mail
>
> http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
> http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/

dpreview.com just posted a review of the Sony 828:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/. Pretty bad noise levels.

Mark

GAH

Well, it's just a matter of time. They've been stuck at the 5MP level for
longer than normal, so it only makes sense higher megapixels will come out
sooner or later. I agree with the article however, in that I'd be willing
to bet that will the number of pixels will increase, the overall image
quality will NOT. Unless some real innovations in chips or the way they
process an image happens, I don't think these new "mega-megapixel cameras"
will overly impress anyone.

Greg

"VT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Imaging-Resource.com have posted that through NDA (Non-Disclosure
> Agreements) they know that there is going to be a wave of 8Mp digicams
> announced soon from the majority of the major players.
>
> please see:
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1073674311.html
> --
> Vincent
> remove CLOTHES for e-mail
>
> http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
> http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/

Larry Lynch

In article <491Mb.1965$q4.766
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Well, it's just a matter of time. They've been stuck at the 5MP level for
> longer than normal, so it only makes sense higher megapixels will come out
> sooner or later. I agree with the article however, in that I'd be willing
> to bet that will the number of pixels will increase, the overall image
> quality will NOT. Unless some real innovations in chips or the way they
> process an image happens, I don't think these new "mega-megapixel cameras"
> will overly impress anyone.

As can be seen in the pictures from the new Sony 8mp
camera... incresing pixels without increasing SIZE only
creates a noisier image.

Some company needs to make the first move and build a
BIGGER sensor for a P&S camera (at least at the level
where the Sony 717 and other top end P&S cameras are
selling)
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

Povl H. Pedersen

On 2004-01-10, VT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Imaging-Resource.com have posted that through NDA (Non-Disclosure
> Agreements) they know that there is going to be a wave of 8Mp digicams
> announced soon from the majority of the major players.
>
> please see:
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1073674311.html

Problem with 8 mpix is, that with todays CCD size,
the last 2 mpixels will become noise.

The F828 at 64 ISO has more noise than the 300D at
800 ISO, and the ISO on it is overrated. 200 ISO is
equivalent to 125 ISO the 300D.

So 8 mpix is useless in the near future onless
larger chips follow.

VT

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 06:57:19 +0000 (UTC), "Povl H. Pedersen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Problem with 8 mpix is, that with todays CCD size,
>the last 2 mpixels will become noise.

<snip>
>So 8 mpix is useless in the near future onless
>larger chips follow.

I think a lot of people are aware and concerned about the likely noise
in higher Mp count on smaller chips - this is not news.

However another way to look at this might be -

If 8Mp becomes commonplace for "prosumer" and perhaps even consumer
(p&s style) digicams -

then aren't we likely to see a lot more 8Mp+ DSLRs, at affordable
prices?