Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RE: Is Genuine Fractals 3.0 compatible with Photoshop Elements?

RE: Is Genuine Fractals 3.0 compatible with Photoshop Elements?

John721235

I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find that
Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have found out
that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the plug ins
that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from Lizardtech uses
a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of Lizardtech,
but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a way to fix
this problem?
concerned father

David Sommers

I find it amazing that Photoshop Elements is not Photoshop plug-in
compatible. I use GF 3.0 with PaintShop Pro 8, which is Photoshop plug-in
compatible.

Have you tired to simply copy the .8BI file, and then rename it as a .8BF
and see what happens? Or, as in PaintShop Pro, there is a setting on just
which kind of plug-in to recognize.

Bye.

"John721235" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find that
> Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have found

out
> that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the plug

ins
> that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from Lizardtech

uses
> a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of

Lizardtech,
> but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a way

to fix
> this problem?
> concerned father

Bart van der Wolf

"John721235" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find

that
> Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have

found out
> that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the

plug ins
> that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from

Lizardtech uses
> a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of

Lizardtech,
> but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a

way to > fix this problem?

8BF files are filters, 8BI files are import/file types.
You typically SAVE an existing file AS a Fractals type, and open (as)
a fractal file type, and rezize while opening. Don't know if it is
Elements compatible though.

Bart

HRosita

Hi,

I have just tested GF 3.0 with Elements and it works as advertised. You need to
click on File > save as
Select STN from the file type dropdown
Click OK when the GF box appears.
Open the .stn file and save as .PSD
You will get the option of resizing.

Make sure the Genuine Fractal file (about 4 MB) is in the File Format folder
under plugins.
Rosita

Zol.

A simply solution is that the plug-in doesn`t go into the correct directory locate the
lizardtech directory and copy the GF.....8bi file into the plugins/file formats directory
inside your Photoshop elements directory - I tried the demo/trial and couldn`t understand
why it didn`t appear as a file save format untill I did this, regards ... Zol.

"John721235" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find that
> Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have found out
> that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the plug ins
> that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from Lizardtech uses
> a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of Lizardtech,
> but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a way to fix
> this problem?
> concerned father

Frank ess

Zol. wrote:
> A simply solution is that the plug-in doesn`t go into the correct
> directory locate the lizardtech directory and copy the GF.....8bi
> file into the plugins/file formats directory inside your Photoshop
> elements directory - I tried the demo/trial and couldn`t understand
> why it didn`t appear as a file save format untill I did this, regards
> ... Zol.
>
> "John721235" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find
>> that
>> Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have
>> found out
>> that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the
>> plug ins
>> that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from
>> Lizardtech uses
>> a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of
>> Lizardtech,
>> but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a
>> way to fix
>> this problem?
>> concerned father

I can see why you'd be concerned. That's an expensive program. What are the
needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine Fractals a
must-have?

Frank ess

Zol.

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gFgMb.63151$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Zol. wrote:
> > A simply solution is that the plug-in doesn`t go into the correct
> > directory locate the lizardtech directory and copy the GF.....8bi
> > file into the plugins/file formats directory inside your Photoshop
> > elements directory - I tried the demo/trial and couldn`t understand
> > why it didn`t appear as a file save format untill I did this, regards
> > ... Zol.
> >
> > "John721235" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I recently purchased Genuine Fractals 3.0 from Lizardtech and I find
> >> that
> >> Photoshop Elements does not recognize it as a plug in file. I have
> >> found out
> >> that the file type recognized by Photoshop Elements is 8BF. All the
> >> plug ins
> >> that work are of this file type. However, Genuine Fractals from
> >> Lizardtech uses
> >> a plugin file type of 8BI. I have brought this to the attention of
> >> Lizardtech,
> >> but I have recieved no answer from them as yet. Can anyone suggest a
> >> way to fix
> >> this problem?
> >> concerned father

> I can see why you'd be concerned. That's an expensive program. What are the
> needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine Fractals a
> must-have?
>
> Frank ess

I assume you are writing to the originator of the message? for me it was just the trial to
see if the claims were as good as suggested (upto 600% increase in image size without
noticable decrease in quality) it may not be that good but does do a pretty good job and is
easy to use ... Zol.

Robert Peirce

In article <gFgMb.63151$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can see why you'd be concerned. That's an expensive program. What are the
> needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine Fractals a
> must-have?

It is about the only way to scale up a digital image and to get a decent
picture. The photo programs, like Photoshop Elements, either don't do
this at all or don't do it as well.

I use pxl SmartScale, which is similar to Genuine Fractals, solely for
this purpose. I have taken some photos scaled for the web and scaled
them up with decent results. They aren't as sharp as pictures actually
taken at the correct scale or scaled down from a larger size, but they
are better than just blowing up what you download.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

HRosita

>"Frank ess" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote

>What are the
>needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine Fractals a
>must-have?

Hi,

It is not really a must have now, because there are other programs that create
good interpolations but some years ago this was the only one that was better
than Photoshops bicubic interpolation.
I use it to interpolate images for printing large prints.
Rosita

Frank ess

HRosita wrote:
>> "Frank ess" (E-Mail Removed) wrote

>> What are the
>> needs in a photographer's environment that would make Genuine
>> Fractals a must-have?

> Hi,
>
> It is not really a must have now, because there are other programs
> that create good interpolations but some years ago this was the only
> one that was better than Photoshops bicubic interpolation.
> I use it to interpolate images for printing large prints.
> Rosita

Thank you.

So, there is some routine in Photoshop that accomplishes the same thing? How
does GF survive?

What other programs create good interpolations?

Frank ess