Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Taking pictures of your children or grandchildren in X-mass show with non dslr digital camera

Taking pictures of your children or grandchildren in X-mass show with non dslr digital camera

arfam4

Hi! I was photographing my daughter [in sixth grade]in X-mass show put
by the school in last December. Lighting was very poor. Even after
increasing the ISO to 400 ASA, the exposure was 1/4 sec at f2.6 at
telephoto end without flash. I used flash. The exposure was 1/100 f2.6
with flash. My camera was Olympus C-4040. The stage was about 25 to 30
feet from me.
How do I post pictures in this new group to show few pictures about
the lighting condition and get your advice?

Secondly is there any other non dslr camera will help in getting
better pictures?

With thanks in advance.

Paul Riemerman

Unless you can get a pro-quality Nikon or Canon DSLR at $1000 plus, for your
situation you would probably be happier with a non digital slr. A fairly
fast 200 or so telephoto lens and pushing film to 800-1600 asa would capture
what you want.
Inexpensive digitals are nice, but unfortunately you will have to be within
about 11 feet of the subject for a good photograph in the situation you
describe.

Paul Riemerman

"arfam4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi! I was photographing my daughter [in sixth grade]in X-mass show put
> by the school in last December. Lighting was very poor. Even after
> increasing the ISO to 400 ASA, the exposure was 1/4 sec at f2.6 at
> telephoto end without flash. I used flash. The exposure was 1/100 f2.6
> with flash. My camera was Olympus C-4040. The stage was about 25 to 30
> feet from me.
> How do I post pictures in this new group to show few pictures about
> the lighting condition and get your advice?
>
> Secondly is there any other non dslr camera will help in getting
> better pictures?
>
> With thanks in advance.

Marvin Margoshes

"arfam4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi! I was photographing my daughter [in sixth grade]in X-mass show put
> by the school in last December. Lighting was very poor. Even after
> increasing the ISO to 400 ASA, the exposure was 1/4 sec at f2.6 at
> telephoto end without flash. I used flash. The exposure was 1/100 f2.6
> with flash. My camera was Olympus C-4040. The stage was about 25 to 30
> feet from me.
> How do I post pictures in this new group to show few pictures about
> the lighting condition and get your advice?

Don't. This NG hates attachments. Find somewhere else to put the pictures
online, then post the url here.

> Secondly is there any other non dslr camera will help in getting
> better pictures?
>
> With thanks in advance.

unkown

Please do not post your pictures anywere. I do not know were you come from
but in UK it is illegal to take pictures at school plays sporting events etc
to protect the children from the possibility of perverts utalising the
situation to take seemingly inocent snaps. To take these pictures you would
have to get a consent form signed by the parents of all of the children in
the event. I am sure you do not want to think of some pervert looking at
pictures of your daughter that you and most of the rest of us consider
inocent.

Please protect the inocent.

"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "arfam4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi! I was photographing my daughter [in sixth grade]in X-mass show put
> > by the school in last December. Lighting was very poor. Even after
> > increasing the ISO to 400 ASA, the exposure was 1/4 sec at f2.6 at
> > telephoto end without flash. I used flash. The exposure was 1/100 f2.6
> > with flash. My camera was Olympus C-4040. The stage was about 25 to 30
> > feet from me.
> > How do I post pictures in this new group to show few pictures about
> > the lighting condition and get your advice?

> Don't. This NG hates attachments. Find somewhere else to put the

pictures
> online, then post the url here.
>

> > Secondly is there any other non dslr camera will help in getting
> > better pictures?
> >
> > With thanks in advance.

steve

'The possibility of perverts .....'

If the photos were not explicit in the first place I do not see a problem.

steve

unkown wrote:

> Please do not post your pictures anywere. I do not know were you come from
> but in UK it is illegal to take pictures at school plays sporting events etc
> to protect the children from the possibility of perverts utalising the
> situation to take seemingly inocent snaps. To take these pictures you would
> have to get a consent form signed by the parents of all of the children in
> the event. I am sure you do not want to think of some pervert looking at
> pictures of your daughter that you and most of the rest of us consider
> inocent.
>
> Please protect the inocent.
>
> "Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"arfam4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>>
>>>Hi! I was photographing my daughter [in sixth grade]in X-mass show put
>>>by the school in last December. Lighting was very poor. Even after
>>>increasing the ISO to 400 ASA, the exposure was 1/4 sec at f2.6 at
>>>telephoto end without flash. I used flash. The exposure was 1/100 f2.6
>>>with flash. My camera was Olympus C-4040. The stage was about 25 to 30
>>>feet from me.
>>>How do I post pictures in this new group to show few pictures about
>>>the lighting condition and get your advice?

>>Don't. This NG hates attachments. Find somewhere else to put the

> pictures
>
>>online, then post the url here.
>>

>>>Secondly is there any other non dslr camera will help in getting
>>>better pictures?
>>>
>>>With thanks in advance.

Paul Riemerman

I find it hard to get into that frame of mind. My parents took photos of me
at the school Christmas shows, and their parents took photos of them at
their Christmas shows.

Paul Riemerman

news:r%ZLb.3570$(E-Mail Removed) ...