Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta A1 JPEG Resolution Question

Minolta A1 JPEG Resolution Question

Steven Wandy

My friend just got the A1 (to replace the Oly C700). He shoots entirely in
JPEG and is really enjoying the camera and the resulting prints.
My question - I have read something about the JPEG resolution being
different from the RAW resolution. What's this about? I have not heard
anything about this from my friend. Thanks.

Paul van Andel

> My question - I have read something about the JPEG resolution being
> different from the RAW resolution. What's this about? I have not heard
> anything about this from my friend. Thanks.

Yep, that seems to be the case, see also thread "Minolta A1 - RAW vs. JPG -
will there be a firmware update?" date 9-1-2004 in this group.
You may want to take a look at the resolution charts at dpreview
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/mino...ea1/page15.asp

Paul

browntimdc

"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:SETLb.68044$(E-Mail Removed):

> My friend just got the A1 (to replace the Oly C700). He shoots
> entirely in JPEG and is really enjoying the camera and the resulting
> prints. My question - I have read something about the JPEG resolution
> being different from the RAW resolution. What's this about? I have not
> heard anything about this from my friend. Thanks.

The A1 gets a slightly better result shooting test charts in RAW but my
'real world' shots look just as fine in JPG as RAW.

Tim

--

"The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
and the second strongest is to resist it."

Kenneth Graham

Dave Brown

I recently took some shots down in Tarpon Springs Florida, of the
Sponge fleet (ships), and there were many lines, masts, etc. I saw no
aborations in resolutions, nice continous lines and colors. I think
that really close horizontal/vertical lines is where this can be seen
on ANY digicam. I find it less a problem in real world application.

db