Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rotating left all movie frames

Rotating left all movie frames

cgc88

I made some movies with my Canon PS 45 but holding the camera in vertical,
because the scene extended in vertical. I expected the camera would rotate
it when playing, as for the photos. It didn't, and also when I play the
movie with Quicktime or other player, I see the images in the movie in
vertical. What kind of software is there to rotate 90 to the left (or to
the right) the frames of the movie? Any hints?
I tried the ArcSoft Video Impression V1.7 program that comes with the camera
but it hasn't any rotate capability, nor the Ulead Media Studio Pro 5.0
Video Edition that I had with a previous Matrox Rainbow Runner video capture
card.
I asked this question to Canon and they answered sharply to use a software
program for video acquisition, like Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere, or
Presto!
So I downloaded the Adobe Premiere trial version but it works only with
Windows XP and I have Windows 2000. I reverted to download the Pinnacle
Studio 7.0 trial version, installed it and it runs, but still I don't see
any way to rotate 90 to the left ALL frames (or even each single frame).
The trial version doesn't allow for some features, but even the help
function say nothing about rotating frames.
Presto! programs were only for sale, no trial version.
I have seven small movies to correct, for say 5 minutes in total time.
I wonder if anyone has incurred in the same problem and if there is an easy
way to do the job.
Apologize for the long question, and thank a lot in advance for any help.

Ron Hunter

cgc88 wrote:
> I made some movies with my Canon PS 45 but holding the camera in vertical,
> because the scene extended in vertical. I expected the camera would rotate
> it when playing, as for the photos. It didn't, and also when I play the
> movie with Quicktime or other player, I see the images in the movie in
> vertical. What kind of software is there to rotate 90 to the left (or to
> the right) the frames of the movie? Any hints?
> I tried the ArcSoft Video Impression V1.7 program that comes with the camera
> but it hasn't any rotate capability, nor the Ulead Media Studio Pro 5.0
> Video Edition that I had with a previous Matrox Rainbow Runner video capture
> card.
> I asked this question to Canon and they answered sharply to use a software
> program for video acquisition, like Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere, or
> Presto!
> So I downloaded the Adobe Premiere trial version but it works only with
> Windows XP and I have Windows 2000. I reverted to download the Pinnacle
> Studio 7.0 trial version, installed it and it runs, but still I don't see
> any way to rotate 90 to the left ALL frames (or even each single frame).
> The trial version doesn't allow for some features, but even the help
> function say nothing about rotating frames.
> Presto! programs were only for sale, no trial version.
> I have seven small movies to correct, for say 5 minutes in total time.
> I wonder if anyone has incurred in the same problem and if there is an easy
> way to do the job.
> Apologize for the long question, and thank a lot in advance for any help.

heck out Quicktime Pro. I believe it has that feature.

Phil Stripling

"cgc88" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I made some movies with my Canon PS 45 but holding the camera in vertical,
> because the scene extended in vertical. I expected the camera would rotate
> it when playing, as for the photos. It didn't, and also when I play the
> movie with Quicktime or other player, I see the images in the movie in
> vertical. What kind of software is there to rotate 90 to the left (or to
> the right) the frames of the movie? Any hints?

I use QuickTime Pro to rotate movies.

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:21:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "cgc88"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I made some movies with my Canon PS 45 but holding the camera in vertical,
>because the scene extended in vertical. I expected the camera would rotate
>it when playing, as for the photos. It didn't, and also when I play the
>movie with Quicktime or other player, I see the images in the movie in
>vertical. What kind of software is there to rotate 90 to the left (or to
>the right) the frames of the movie? Any hints?

Give Rad Video Tools a look.
http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Paul H.

Go to http://www.radgametools.com/default.htm and download the RAD video
tools kit-- it's freeware.

RAD Tools will convert your .MOV files to the .AVI file format. Once you
have your movie(s) in .AVI format, go to http://www.virtualdub.org/ and
download the VirtualDub program. VirtualDub is a good, free,
general-purpose toolkit for working with .AVI files and will give you the
ability to rotate your movies and perform many other useful functions on
them as well, such as changing brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. Using
VirtualDub, you can also recompress your video using a different CODEC, if
desired.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If you're interested in such things, you should also pick up a copy of
TMPGEnc (also freeware) which may be used convert .AVI files to the MPEG
format required to make VCD's. After converting movies to this format,
you'll be able put them on CD-R's which may then be played on normal DVD
players. I use Nero Burning ROM software to make my VCDs.

news:miCLb.64869$(E-Mail Removed)...