Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Uploading Digital Photos to Digital Camera via Flash Card

Uploading Digital Photos to Digital Camera via Flash Card

JB

I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
edited photo.

I am believing that the photo editing program strips away some of the
camera and photo info and that that might be the reason that the camea
no longer recognizes the photo. I don't think it has to do with the
file structure as I have edited the photo directly from the card and
not moved the location of the photo. I used Canon's File Viewer
Utility, and there is definitely a loss of file information on the
re-touched photo.

Does anyone know of a photo editing program, Macintosh compatible,
that will not discard the photo data (EXIF data?) when doing a save?
Is this a project that I will just need to abandon?

Thanks for your input and expertise.
Regards, JB <(E-Mail Removed)>

Ed Ruf

On 8 Jan 2004 15:25:06 -0800, in rec.photo.digital http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (JB)
wrote:

>I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
>Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
>upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
>used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
>re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
>is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
>tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
>different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
>edited photo.

>Does anyone know of a photo editing program, Macintosh compatible,
>that will not discard the photo data (EXIF data?) when doing a save?
>Is this a project that I will just need to abandon?

Don't know of a solution on the Mac platform, but for the Windows platform
there is:
http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyond....html#TVwriter
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Ron&Joyce

When I went to the site TVwriter it had a virus . Good luck
"JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
> Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
> upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
> used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
> re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
> is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
> tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
> different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
> edited photo.
>
> I am believing that the photo editing program strips away some of the
> camera and photo info and that that might be the reason that the camea
> no longer recognizes the photo. I don't think it has to do with the
> file structure as I have edited the photo directly from the card and
> not moved the location of the photo. I used Canon's File Viewer
> Utility, and there is definitely a loss of file information on the
> re-touched photo.
>
> Does anyone know of a photo editing program, Macintosh compatible,
> that will not discard the photo data (EXIF data?) when doing a save?
> Is this a project that I will just need to abandon?
>
> Thanks for your input and expertise.
> Regards, JB <(E-Mail Removed)>

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:47:03 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Ron&Joyce"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I went to the site TVwriter it had a virus . Good luck

Can you be more specific. I had no trouble whatsoever and David has been a
long time contributor to this forum.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Ron Hunter

JB wrote:

> I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
> Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
> upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
> used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
> re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
> is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
> tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
> different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
> edited photo.
>
> I am believing that the photo editing program strips away some of the
> camera and photo info and that that might be the reason that the camea
> no longer recognizes the photo. I don't think it has to do with the
> file structure as I have edited the photo directly from the card and
> not moved the location of the photo. I used Canon's File Viewer
> Utility, and there is definitely a loss of file information on the
> re-touched photo.
>
> Does anyone know of a photo editing program, Macintosh compatible,
> that will not discard the photo data (EXIF data?) when doing a save?
> Is this a project that I will just need to abandon?
>
> Thanks for your input and expertise.
> Regards, JB <(E-Mail Removed)>

It may be more that just losing the EXIF data (many newer packages
perserve that). It may be that the camera firmware expects a specific
compression method, and their algorithm is not flexible enough to handle
whatever your computer puts out.

Robert E. Williams

JB wrote:

> I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
> Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
> upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
> used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
> re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
> is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
> tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
> different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
> edited photo.
>
> I am believing that the photo editing program strips away some of the
> camera and photo info and that that might be the reason that the camea
> no longer recognizes the photo. I don't think it has to do with the
> file structure as I have edited the photo directly from the card and
> not moved the location of the photo. I used Canon's File Viewer
> Utility, and there is definitely a loss of file information on the
> re-touched photo.
>
> Does anyone know of a photo editing program, Macintosh compatible,
> that will not discard the photo data (EXIF data?) when doing a save?
> Is this a project that I will just need to abandon?
>
> Thanks for your input and expertise.
> Regards, JB <(E-Mail Removed)>

David Taylor's site will do this with PCs , You might write him about the
compatibility of his program with Macs.
Alternatively, you can burn the edited images to a CD and play them on
your TV with a DVD player.
Make sure that the DVD player is jpeg compatible. Most new ones can play
jpeg CDs but some of the older ones cannot. I see a lot of jpeg compatible
DVD players for under $50 US.
Bob Williams

David J Taylor

"Ron&Joyce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I went to the site TVwriter it had a virus . Good luck

If you thought this was the case, why did you not write to me and report
the problem? There is no virus in TVwriter on my site. I have had no
such other reports.

Please check your virus scanning program, as it must be triggering on a
sequence and making a false-positive.

Thanks,
David

David J Taylor

> David Taylor's site will do this with PCs , You might write him about
the
> compatibility of his program with Macs.

Bob and others, there will be no Mac version of this program. Isn't there
some sort of PC emulator for the Mac that could be used, though?

Cheers,
David

stan@temple.edu

JB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Canon G3, Macintosh G4 and Sandisk Firewire Flash Card
> Reader. It is my fervent desire to retouch some of my photos and
> upload them back to the camera via the flash card for a slide show. I
> used Photoshop to do the re-touching, but when I examine the
> re-touched photo on the camera display I get a message that the photo
> is "incompatible", and it is scrunched and tiny in the display. I have
> tried a couple of different 'saves' vs. 'save as' and a couple of
> different editing programs. Still the camera will not recognize the
> edited photo.

Try posting your request on a Macintosh newsgroup or check
http://www.versiontracker.com to see if there is any software
there that would allow you to upload photos to your camera from
your Mac.

JB

Thank you to all who posted replies to my question about uploading
re-touched photos to my Canon G3 via my flash card.

I haven't found a solution yet except to run the slide show from
iPhoto or make the corrected photos into a Quicktime movie and run the
slide shows from the computer and not the camera.

I had been very excited when I read somewhere that it was possible to
edit your photos and upload them back to your camera. I guess it just
wasn't my photos or my camera they were talking about!

Thank you and regards to all, JB