Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DReb long telephoto, wide angle, and macro lenses

DReb long telephoto, wide angle, and macro lenses

Paul Dalen

I've got almost enough cash stashed to buy the DReb kit. I'm a pretty new
photographer, but I enjoy the art and want to improve on my already decent
picture taking. I haven't ruled out a high end P&S like the Nikon 5700, but
since I also want to do macro and wide angle shots at times, I think the SLR
is the way to go.

I'm looking for recommendations for reasonable quality / reasonable priced
lenses for this. Can anyone recommend a online supplier for EF lenses?

Final question: what filters (and what size of them) should I get right off
the bat?

Cheer,
PD

TroyK

I had the original ELAN and then the ELAN II and now the Digital Rebel (only
because I couldn't afford the 1Ds . Over the years I have enjoyed dealing
with two vendors who have an online service (they have a store as well):
Henry's and Vistek. Both have great quality and service, but not necessarily
the best prices (the prices are very good, just not usually as low as the
lowest prices you can find advertised by some small no-name company
somewhere online). Personally, I'd rather pay a few bucks more and go to a
place that has been around a while and has a great customer service record.

Having said that, I did try one other place that I found through ebay called
PC-Camera - because their price was sooo much lower than the major stores I
thought what the heck I'll risk it. I only ordered one thing there, the
Digital Rebel Accessory kit, but I got it fast and everything was fine (and
I saved over a $100!!). So while I haven't done enough business there to
personally recommend it, my one experience was very good.

Regards,

Tk

p.s. Henry's and Vistek also have a large selection of used items. I bought
a used BP-51 (battery pack/grip) and a 380ex flash and both were in great
shape.

"Paul Dalen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I've got almost enough cash stashed to buy the DReb kit. I'm a pretty new
> photographer, but I enjoy the art and want to improve on my already decent
> picture taking. I haven't ruled out a high end P&S like the Nikon 5700,

but
> since I also want to do macro and wide angle shots at times, I think the

SLR
> is the way to go.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for reasonable quality / reasonable priced
> lenses for this. Can anyone recommend a online supplier for EF lenses?
>
> Final question: what filters (and what size of them) should I get right

off
> the bat?
>
> Cheer,
> PD

Povl H. Pedersen

On 2004-01-08, Paul Dalen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've got almost enough cash stashed to buy the DReb kit. I'm a pretty new
> photographer, but I enjoy the art and want to improve on my already decent
> picture taking. I haven't ruled out a high end P&S like the Nikon 5700, but
> since I also want to do macro and wide angle shots at times, I think the SLR
> is the way to go.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for reasonable quality / reasonable priced
> lenses for this. Can anyone recommend a online supplier for EF lenses?

There are lost of lenses. Most people recommend you get (beside the very good
value for money kit lens)
50mm f/1.8 - 2 f-stops faster than kit lens. One of the sharpest lenses
you can get. And mounted reverse, it can be used for macro.

People then buy either:
Canon 75-300mm or 100-300mm
Sigma 28-300mm or 28-200mm (Get an APO model with Macro)
Tamron 28-200mm or 28-300mm (The XR models)

The 28-135mm Canon with Image Stabilisation is also popular as an
allround lens.

remember all lenses have a 1.6x multiplication factor to the
the focal length, so the 18-55mm is equiv to 29-88mm.

I have received my Tamron 28-200mm XR, waiting for 50mm and Canon 75-300mm.

> Final question: what filters (and what size of them) should I get right off
> the bat?

Whatever is in Photoshop. You might want to get Capture One as well
for the processing of RAW images.

David

"Paul Dalen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I've got almost enough cash stashed to buy the DReb kit. I'm

> I'm looking for recommendations for reasonable quality / reasonable priced
> lenses for this. Can anyone recommend a online supplier for EF lenses?

www.bhphotovideo.com

Best cheap lens: the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Remember your 1.6 crop factor,
making this effectively an approx 85mmm lens.
best cheap Canon Short zoom: Canon 28-105
best Cheap Canon Long zoom: 80-200 f/4.5-5.6 or 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6
for real wide-angle shots, and remembering the 1.6 crop factor, consider
Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 for $200.00

> Final question: what filters (and what size of them) should I get right

off
> the bat?

Lots of people like to use UV or haze filters for "lens protection" but I
think they degrade the image noticeably on the Canon digital SLR's (remember
your distortions are also magnified 1.6 when you print to comparable sizes).
Unless you're really rough on your lenses, just keep the caps on and use the
lens. A circular polarizer is a real handy one, and UV and haze filters
are nice on sunny and hazy days. As far as the size goes, don't order any
filters until you know what the diameter of the lens opening will be.

Dave
earguy

Pumpkin King

The only filter I've found that can't be re-created in software is a
polarizer.

-mg/pk

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 06:43:36 -0600, "Paul Dalen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got almost enough cash stashed to buy the DReb kit. I'm a pretty new
>photographer, but I enjoy the art and want to improve on my already decent
>picture taking. I haven't ruled out a high end P&S like the Nikon 5700, but
>since I also want to do macro and wide angle shots at times, I think the SLR
>is the way to go.
>
>I'm looking for recommendations for reasonable quality / reasonable priced
>lenses for this. Can anyone recommend a online supplier for EF lenses?
>
>Final question: what filters (and what size of them) should I get right off
>the bat?
>
>Cheer,
>PD

Paul Dalen

So all the lenses for my Rebel 2000 will have a 1.6 multiplication factor?
This must be a property of the camera and not the lens, right?

"Paul Dalen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I've got almost enough cash stashed to buy the DReb kit. I'm a pretty new
> photographer, but I enjoy the art and want to improve on my already decent
> picture taking. I haven't ruled out a high end P&S like the Nikon 5700,

but
> since I also want to do macro and wide angle shots at times, I think the

SLR
> is the way to go.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for reasonable quality / reasonable priced
> lenses for this. Can anyone recommend a online supplier for EF lenses?
>
> Final question: what filters (and what size of them) should I get right

off
> the bat?
>
> Cheer,
> PD

PLB49

>So all the lenses for my Rebel 2000 will have a 1.6 multiplication factor?
>This must be a property of the camera and not the lens, right?

property of the sensor--it is 1/1.6 the size of 35mm neg

Paul

>So all the lenses for my Rebel 2000 will have a 1.6 multiplication factor?
>This must be a property of the camera and not the lens, right?

All DSLR's are like that. Great if you like telephoto.

leo

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All DSLR's are like that. Great if you like telephoto.

Not true. Spend thousands of dollars on 1Ds and you'll get a true digital
35mm camera.

leo

"leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GcoLb.973$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > All DSLR's are like that. Great if you like telephoto.

> Not true. Spend thousands of dollars on 1Ds and you'll get a true digital
> 35mm camera.

Also, with a sub-35mm sensor, the real problem is in wide angle photogaphy.
Isn't it hard to make a good wide lens and now you need an even wider lens
for the entry level DSLRs?