Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Travelling with a digital camera

Travelling with a digital camera

Sean McBride

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm wondering
how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
Are there places that will transfer to CD?

Thanks!

Mark M

"Sean McBride" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
> South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm wondering
> how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
> Are there places that will transfer to CD?

How much are you willing to spend?

Aardvark

"Sean McBride" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to

southern
> South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm

wondering
> how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any

advice?
> Are there places that will transfer to CD?
>
> Thanks!

Get a "digital wallet", like the Vosonic XSDrive II or Image
Tank. A quick search in Google will turn up other alternatives
as well.

Michael Meissner

Sean McBride <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
> South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm wondering
> how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
> Are there places that will transfer to CD?

Places that transfer media to CD are springing up, though there is always the
question of how much they charge and whether they are conveinent to where you
are. You could either get a portable disk drive that copies your CF to the
disk drive, and later upload it to your computer, or a portable CD drive that
copies you CF media to a CD-R. Here is a post I did at the Storage Forum of
dpreview.com a few days ago:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7189873

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Dave Cohen

They shouldn't charge too much. When I was vacationing in Arizona and Texas,
a salesman in a BigBuy did it for nothing. I was so impressed by how easy
this was on a demo HP machine with built in readers and running xp that I
got myself a current xp machine (but not the built in readers). The
alternatives suggested are quite pricey for something you will not be using
that much. You might also be able to upload to sites such as clubphoto, they
seem to maintain one's albums for quite a while. I would try to get more
info on what is available, try giving the tourist bureau or consulate of the
countries you intend to visit.
Dave Cohen
"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> Sean McBride <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
> > South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm wondering
> > how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
> > Are there places that will transfer to CD?

> Places that transfer media to CD are springing up, though there is always

the
> question of how much they charge and whether they are conveinent to where

you
> are. You could either get a portable disk drive that copies your CF to

the
> disk drive, and later upload it to your computer, or a portable CD drive

that
> copies you CF media to a CD-R. Here is a post I did at the Storage Forum

of
> dpreview.com a few days ago:
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7189873
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.the-meissners.org

Michael Meissner

"Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> They shouldn't charge too much. When I was vacationing in Arizona and Texas,
> a salesman in a BigBuy did it for nothing. I was so impressed by how easy
> this was on a demo HP machine with built in readers and running xp that I
> got myself a current xp machine (but not the built in readers). The
> alternatives suggested are quite pricey for something you will not be using
> that much. You might also be able to upload to sites such as clubphoto, they
> seem to maintain one's albums for quite a while. I would try to get more
> info on what is available, try giving the tourist bureau or consulate of the
> countries you intend to visit.
> Dave Cohen

I've heard prices like $11 per copy which can add up, and some places charge
per file copied. However, if you have to waste 1/2 day time just to find a
place to copy the media cards, it might be worth it.

How do you know the person won't use them afterwards? I find there have been a
few times when I needed more than the 6 smartmedia cards I was carrying with me
for a days shoot, and now generally carry the x-drive II with me all of the
time in my camera bag.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

WebKatz

Sean McBride <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi all,
>
> Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
> South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm wondering
> how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
> Are there places that will transfer to CD?

I have found shops that will transfer your pics to CD in some
surprisingly small/undeveloped places. In addition to the usual
Internet cafes, also try bookstores and tourist offices. But I
wouldn't *expect* to find these kinds of places. Go with enough memory
to cover your needs, and if you find a place that does transfers, view
it as a bonus.

Dave

Mike Lee

Would there be any way of transfer the photo to a USB memory stick? One of
those which can plug into a USB port & acts like a removable drive.

Also would I be able to use my CF media as a portable USB memory stick by
using one of those CF media to USB adapters? That ways, I can maximize my
usage of these expensive media.

Thx, Mike

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> Sean McBride <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
> > South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm wondering
> > how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards. Any advice?
> > Are there places that will transfer to CD?

> Places that transfer media to CD are springing up, though there is always

the
> question of how much they charge and whether they are conveinent to where

you
> are. You could either get a portable disk drive that copies your CF to

the
> disk drive, and later upload it to your computer, or a portable CD drive

that
> copies you CF media to a CD-R. Here is a post I did at the Storage Forum

of
> dpreview.com a few days ago:
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7189873
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.the-meissners.org

Michael Meissner

"Mike Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Would there be any way of transfer the photo to a USB memory stick? One of
> those which can plug into a USB port & acts like a removable drive.

You can do it with a computer. Without a computer, I'm not aware of a way,
other than the USB memory sticks that are really USB CF card readers with a CF
card inside.

> Also would I be able to use my CF media as a portable USB memory stick by
> using one of those CF media to USB adapters? That ways, I can maximize my
> usage of these expensive media.

Yes, you can use your CF media as a transfer medium with a USB, Firewire, or
PCMCIA adaptor. Some cameras get confused when other things write to the media
card, and for those it is always best to reformat the card in the camera before
taking pictures.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Browntimdc

> Sean McBride <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I may soon be travelling to southern
>> South America with my Canon A70 (CompactFlash 'film') and I'm
>> wondering how to deal with the eventuality of filling my CF cards.
>> Any advice? Are there places that will transfer to CD?

I think that if you're going to or near the 'tourist trap' areas you'll
find a place to burn CD's. How long are you going? What was your CF 'fill
rate' on previous trips? I go through about 2 256MB cards in a week when
I'm traveling with a 5MP camera. Maybe all you need are a couple more CF
cards.

Tim

--

"The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
and the second strongest is to resist it."

Kenneth Graham